No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, the 2020 Abbreviated COVID Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I doubt Fickell would even want the Michigan job if it was open. He’ll be able to be picky when he decides to leave Cincy. Texas and USC could have openings in the next year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

It would have been nice to have at least one season with Milton throwing to Tariq Black and Nico Collins. But, Nico is off to the NFL and Tariq is trying to help Tejas regain respectability. I wish them both well, but man, we've seen way too much talent leave early. If we could get just one year where we have an abundance of 4th and 5th year talent, it could help turn things around.
      It’s particularly frustrating because we wasted the most talented group of receivers I’ve ever seen at Michigan. The Howard/Alexander tandem was great but DPJ and Collins are more physically gifted. They should have looked like Braylon Edwards and Calvin Johnson. The fact that DPJ left early to be a 6th round pick or whatever tells me he wanted out badly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

The recruiting approach hasn't gotten enough attention. Harbaugh has completely abandoned trying to compete with OSU.
        There's no question that the "rivalry" as we used to call it, was at its best when Michigan hat a group of players from Ohio that felt ignored or slighted by OSU. Some of you older guys will remember that Woody heard that Michigan players who were from Ohio used to go about saying, "Only the best players from Ohio go to Michigan". He used that so often for motivating his own players, that all he had to say was the word "Only"... and his players knew exactly what he was talking about. That was one of the highlights of the rivalry as I remember it. When guys like Woodson, Desmond, and even John Kolesar rise up and single handedly make plays that beat OSU, that was like a double knife to the hearts of Bucknut fans. But, its those things that helped spice up the rivalry, when it was a true rivalry.

I agree Hanni. Harbaugh has apparently surrendered the Ohio territory with very few exceptions. Pretty much any kid from Ohio that wants to come to Michigan has to contact Harbaugh, rather than the other way around. Harbaugh's 'east coast, SEC area" approach is just not getting the players who really have a feel for what the former rivalry should be.

These are probably the "best" days of the "rivalry" for OSU folks, but in reality its nothing like it was, or like it should be.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Clearly remember the frustration from Nico and DPJ with whatever offense du jour was on the field. Significant waste of their physical talents. By design or just shitty QB play? Shitty QB played into by design. On occasions, you could see the offense come out firing and then pull back as coaches realized in wasn't, (insert QB's name) day. This was particularly vivid with Patterson at QB.

Constantly would read about M's offense with no identity. That has been a fundamental problem for M under Harbaugh. With Rodriguez and Hoke at least we knew what M was trying to do they just didn't do it very well. Have we ever had a clear picture of JH's offense? Pro-Style? Power? Power Spread? Speed in Space?

I think I know what Alabama, osu, Clemson and UGA run. I'd characterize them as hybrid pro-style looks with varying degree of power. I have no idea of what M runs. Admittedly, there are different ways of characterizing an offense so I could be off with my comparisons but still, I can't characterize M's offense ...... and I've tried to see it and do that.

Anyway, with the receiver room absolutely stocked, M should have been running a 60/40 pass/run offense and challenging defenses to cover those guys. Instead, it seemed their use was minimal and more by design with Harbaugh preferring to develop a withering ground attack to pound opponents. Dominate them. IMO, that's not going to work when a defense knows that's the preferred game plan on offense. Clearly, it didn't work and even with Gattis "given the keys to the offense" nothing really changed much. Can't blame any of these guys from not wanting to play in M's offense when their prodigious skills weren't going to be showcased for NFL scouts.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
            I doubt Fickell would even want the Michigan job if it was open. He’ll be able to be picky when he decides to leave Cincy. Texas and USC could have openings in the next year or two.
            Disagree. I think that he would take it. Think Gary Moeller 2.0.

Comment

• shaddup
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

Disagree. I think that he would take it. Think Gary Moeller 2.0.
                Disagree with your disagreement.

Fickell is on record with his disdain of Michigan. You'd have about the same chance of getting Fickell to Michigan as you would Meyer.

And... Fickell isn't worthy to carry Gary Moeller's truss

Comment

• liney:

hello
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Michigan v Indiana will be a Noon EST kickoff.

Comment

• It was announced today that ABC will broadcast the Michigan v Wisconsin game at 7:30 pm on Saturday November 14.

Yet another opportunity for Herbstreit, Fowler, et al., to cluck their tongues at how far Michigan has fallen and how much Harbaugh has failed.

We already know that of course, but ABC/ESPN loves kicking in the dirt on the grave, so this gives them the chance to do it in prime time.

I doubt I'll be watching. I may let my grandson commandeer the TV for the night and play "Baby Shark" for about 3 hours. An appropriate punishment for my optimism that things would actually change on State Street.

Comment

• The game is in prime time primarily because Michigan is involved. Just like the Minnesota game and Ohio State — Rutgers. Big brands get the best time slots. And the media basically trips over themselves while polishing Harbaugh’s knob. I’ve never seen anyone receive more accolades and benefits of doubt without any meaningful success in my life.

Comment

• Michigan hasn't done anything to deserve a prime time spot. Especially if they lose to Indiana, as expected.

Give some good air time to Northwestern, or Iowa. Someone that is actually trying to improve.

Comment

• Prime time slots decided by size of fan base, not the quality of the teams or game.

Comment

• Exactly.

Comment

• Saturday evening isn't really much of a "prime time" anyways. People have other things to do on Saturday nights. It's not even close to what MNF or Sunday night attracts.

Comment

Working...
                                X