No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, the 2020 Abbreviated COVID Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That is correct. UAT and Dabo ought to just play a best of 15 instead of 15 separate games.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Paul Finebaum would be in football heaven.

EDIT:: Name corrected
      Last edited by lineygoblue; February 14, 2020, 10:20 AM. Reason: to correct the pinhead's first name
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Howard, .. Paul ... no difference to me. If you've seen one pinhead, you've seen them all

Comment

• I don't think rah-rah speeches are really what gets to wins either, though Mignery was clear that he thought that coming out at home to the crowd and touching the banner is a boost for the team that you don't get on the road but for which there is no effort at an adequate replacement. Some of that's just the nature of being on the road. But what's more notable is that it's said about Harbaugh, who has in the past been quite the fired-up guy. Does he still do the shoulder-pads pounding with the QBs? His approach to that part of the game may have legitimately changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              ................ Does he still do the shoulder-pads pounding with the QBs? His approach to that part of the game may have legitimately changed.
              I'd say it has and after two seasons of telling you and everyone here that I didn't think he was on antidepressants, I think he's taking something. His behavior changed on the sidelines after he got a flag for a sideline outburst then a fine for questioning the BT about it. I would not doubt that losing to osu over and over again in blow-out losses affected him greatly .... so, he was prescribed some thing. I think ND's Kelly, whose sideline demeanor changed pretty dramatically at some point is also on something.

But I don't think the rah, rah aspect of a HC's approach means much when play starts - I agree with prep and fundamentals having the greatest impact on the outcome of the game...... and I think that's a part of where M's issues are. Is it because of whatever drugs JH is on he's checked out or disengaged during practice week? In game? Possibly but, for years with JH as coach, there were repeated questions about in-game coaching and decision making from the sidelines. If game prep and fundamentals are good but the implementation of the game plan is flawed in game, you get what it is we see ...... a sort of janky offense and a defense that is what it is and because of that, not always able to compensate for a stalled O.

It's hard to suss out if antidepressants that JH is probably on are having a negative impact on his and by extension the team's performance or whether he's fine but there are coaching issues - structural issues on how the game is managed - on the sidelines in game. I'd bet its more of the later. In my own medical practice I've seen many patient's who have clinical depression or anxiety that affects their job performance or relationships. After they are prescribed and start an antidepressant those problems abate and job function improves or relationship issues resolve.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• It is less about rah-rah speeches that you would see in a Hollywood movie and more about how good you are motivating players. You have to be able to get your players to run through a figurative wall. Those speeches work maybe a couple of times but you can't rely on them. Michigan football in general is not good as an underdog, when you are an underdog you need to get your players fired up. Not every game is decided by the Jimmys and the Joes. Most are but there are times when emotion can carry the day.

Comment

• I think that it depends at least a bit on the coach. If you have historically gotten results with rah rah speeches and then you mysteriously transform into an emotionless zombie, then you will probably get worse results.

Comment

• Mignery attributed it to flat starts. It sounded to me a little bit feelingsball as well, and I think to an extent it is. I don't know if Mignery is in the anti-Harbaugh faction that some program alums are in. He was clear however that he thought it was a first-few drives thing. IIRC he said that you get into the game and just play after a point, but at the start they come out flat as a result of this. Againm, FWIW.

Comment

• Arizona State's president taking shots at Harbaugh, because he "can't beat Ohio State". Says that the Sun Devils and Michigan are negotiating a home and home series, but dates have not been agreed to yet.

The ASU prez is feeling pretty good about the Sun Devils chances of beating Michigan, because they just completed a 2 game sweep of MSU.

Hey Prez: I have an even better idea. Why don't your vaunted Sun Devils forget about playing Michigan, and contact Ohio State, and schedule a home and home series with them? I mean, after all, if you REALLY want to embarrass Harbaugh, wouldn't it be more effective if your boys came in and whacked the Buckeyes once in Columbus, and then once again at your own place? Show Michigan and Harbaugh "how its done".

Get right on that, okay?

Comment

• The State of M Football as of February 18, 2020 -- Getting Brazenly Sassed by Arizona State Administrators.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          The State of M Football as of February 18, 2020 -- Getting Brazenly Sassed by Arizona State Administrators.
                          I guess so.

But I would think that the sass would be more effective if the good president would instruct his athletic department to challenge the Buckeyes, and show Harbaugh and Michigan how its done.

I mean, if its that easy to knock off OSU, please share the info.

Comment

• M would obliterate ASU. HARBAUGH!!! can handle that shit on his own.

Comment

• Looks like Heaven is easier to get into than ARIZONA STATE!

Comment

• Yes, but you Buckeyes would do well to beware of Arizona State.

They are the school that gave you Cooper syndrome ....

Fear ASU!

Comment

Working...
                                X