No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching a Smithsonian show on USN submarine commander Eugene “Lucky” Fluckey. Man, this needs to be a movie.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Link? Stream? I'd love to watch that. Love that stuff.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• A lot of Smithsonian Channel stuff used to be On Demand. May want to check

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
          Link? Stream? I'd love to watch that. Love that stuff.
          It was on the Smithsonian Channel on cable. Their submarine series.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Jeff, you should be able to watch it if your cable channel carries Smithsonian. Here’s the link for on demand:

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/v...ll-below/62515
            Last edited by AlabamAlum; January 22, 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Thanks. This may get me off my ass in front of the computer onto my ass in front of my TV! Life in COVID times.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• He sent a landing party onto the Japanese mainland to blow up a train - the only landing of Allied troops on the Japanese mainland in the entire war. He wasn’t told to, he just thought it was a good target. Destroyed more enemy ships than any other commander. One ship, as it was going down, he sent crewman over to see what they could get and was able to bring back minefield maps. He lost no crew - zero Purple Hearts awarded to his sailors. I also loved that he defied regulations and kept beer on board for his crew if they sank ships. Changed sub warfare tactics, set the world sub speed record. Just brilliant.

Comment

• The Expanse season 5 has been good but way too much table setting episodes for me. I find the main antagonist Marcos has a little too much X-Pac heat for me.

Hanna season 2 plodding for the first half of the season but redeemed itself for the last couple episodes.

Comment

• Hellboy_poster.jpg

HELLBOY (2004)
                    d. Guillermo del Toro
                    Starring: Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, John Hurt, Rupert Evans, Doug Jones, David Hyde-Pierce, Jeffrey Tambor, Karel Roden

I recently got reacquainted with the Hellboy comics and probably hadn't seen this film in about 15 years and had never seen the sequel or the 2019 reboot (reportedly garbage) so I decided to revisit this. I recall liking it but didn't remember much. For those completely unfamiliar with the source material, it's a little bit like the X-Files but instead of Mulder & Scully you've got paranormal creatures themselves tracking down and eliminating paranormal threats. And most of the threats tend to be related to folklore and the supernatural, rather than aliens or "science"-based occult figures.

Hellboy is the offspring of some demon or possibly Satan himself that gets brought to earth as a baby and raised by humans. He becomes the FBI's most most valuable paranormal "policeman", for lack of a better description. His companions in this first movie (also characters from the comics) are Liz Sherman (a pyrokinetic and his love interest) and Abe Sapien (a gill-man). Think of Niles from Frasier turned into the Creature From the Black Lagoon and you basically have Abe.

The movie starts with what turns out to be my favorite scene of the movie. It's late 1944 and a bunch of desperate Nazis are trying anything they can to change the tides of war. It's a mix of occult magic, Lovecraftian type stuff, and weird steampunk-like science, the sort of equipment you'd see in Universal Horror pictures of that time. The scene introduces the film's main villain: Rasputin, the mad monk, who survived his assassination in 1916 and is a powerful magic being working for Hitler. He's got a couple Nazi henchmen, one of whom is a psychotic gas-mask wearing assassin that's replaced most of his own body with machine parts. A bunch of American GIs show up, spoil the Nazis' fun, and the baby Hellboy is summoned to earth.

The rest of the film's plot would take too long to describe so we'll just say that Rasputin still lives and wants Hellboy to fulfill his 'destiny' and eradicate all human life on earth.

I mentioned that I believe I have not watched this film since around the time it first came out and boy, after two dozen Marvel movies, it feels kind of small. I still like it but something just feels off; it's not as fun as most of the Marvel movies even though the pieces are in place for it to be. There's also a regular human character who becomes Hellboy's partner more or less and he's not from the comics. You're supposed to relate to him in this world of freaks, but boy, he's not likeable and doesn't seem very necessary to me. He was dropped in the sequel.

All in all I think it's still worth watching. But I think the dialogue needed another pass in the screenwriting room.

Comment

• I thought it was...not good.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        I thought it was...not good.
                        Have you seen the sequel?

Comment

• No. After “Here to Protect” I was done.

Comment

• A lesson in how broadcasters with carriage rights are getting around cable cutters. Hell Below is an original Smithsonian Channel series. They have carriage rights and sold them to CBS who carry only older seasons episodes, not the current one. The episode we talked about here that I wanted to view was an episode in an older season so the Smithsonian Channel, a subscription cable channel, requires a subscription to view it on TV. In order to stream the episode, you have to subscribe to CBS on Demand ($6/m) or have a cable package that includes the Smithsonian Channel and log in with your, in my case, Xfinity log in. I have most of my TVs using an OTA signal. I have two TVs with minimal cable service to cut costs - no Hell Below for you.

Comment

• Jeff,

But you can watch live Smithsonian Channel? Check when that show will be aired again and set your DVR. It could be months, though.

Also, CBS all-access is $6/mo, BUT they have a 7-day free trial. You can sign-up, watch all the “Hell Belows” and Picards (or whatever else) and cancel 6 days later with no charge. I have done that before.

Comment

• I found it on Amazon Prime. I have an account. Seldom use if for movies, just on-line shopping, yet I know they are there and plentiful. It's not free but only 2 bucks and I just click to watch and my card is auto charged ..... no bull-shit sign-ups, remembering when to cancel and all the crap that goes along with free trials.

Comment

Working...
                                X