No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh. I'm actually leaning towards They Live...been wanting to own a copy for a while

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post

Kinda odd to me that you mention this film. I’ve been planning on watching all Denis Villeneuve films in the next couple of months before “Dune.”

So that would be:
      - August 32nd on Earth
      - Maelstrom
      - Polytechnique
      - Incendies
      - Prisoners
      - Enemy
      - Sicario
      - Arrival
      - Blade Runner 2049

Re-watched “Prisoners” the other day on Hulu and it holds up as being incredible. Absolutely love it.
      It was on Showtime On-Demand. I had read the source book. So, I was kinda shocked at some of Villeneuve’s …additions.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I don't think anyone's ever brought up Edgar Wright movies but I have a hard time believing this will outright suck. First trailer dropped today.

Comment

• Midnight Run is great, Grodin is awesome in it. I'll always think of his weird cranky CNBC talk show as the forerunner of these grievance talk shows that dominate cable news.

Comment

• MV5BNGZmMmMxY2MtY2Y4NS00Y2JmLTg1YmQtNzBjNDczYjUyZjgzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

NINJA 3: THE DOMINATION (1984)
            d. Sam Firstenberg
            Starring: Lucinda Dickey, Sho Kosugi, Jordan Bennett, James Hong, David Chung

The most bizarre of Cannon's Kosugi trilogy, this one involves the spirit of an evil ninja possessing a young woman and taking revenge against the cops who killed him.

The first 20 minutes of this movie are bonkers. A ninja attacks a guy playing golf and his numerous bodyguards. Kills them all in various ways. Then the cops show up and he kills a couple dozen of them before being finally put down after being shot approximately 200 times. But before he dies (does he die?!) he sneaks off and transfers his soul (I think?) to a girl named Christie who works part time repairing phone lines and part time as an aerobics instructor (Lucinda Dickey). There's only a handful of cops that shot the ninja that are still alive, and the evil ninja begins taking his revenge against them while possessing the girl. There's a very hairy Steve Guttenberg looking cop that's immediately in love with Christie and it turns out he's also one of the cops that survived psycho ninja.

Meanwhile Sho Kosugi arrives from Japan and he's ready to put an end to the evil ninja once and for all.

This is such a weird, weird movie and a massive departure from the earlier two films in the "trilogy". It's easily the most 80's of the bunch. That opening action scene is non-stop but once it's over, nothing really matches it again. Lucinda Dickey had a huge year with Cannon, making this and both of the Breakin' movies in 1984, but that was pretty much it for her. There's also one of the most bizarre sex scenes I've ever seen where she pours V8 down her chest while hairy Steve Guttenberg licks it off. WTF?

I like this and Revenge of the Ninja about equally. Revenge is a straight up exciting action/revenge flick while this is just a bizarre, genre-bending wonder.

Rather than a trailer enjoy this short supercut

Comment

• 516i6Uhd5UL._AC_.jpg

THE PARK IS MINE (1985)
              d. Steven Hilliard Stern
              Starring: Tommy Lee Jones, Helen Shaver, Yaphet Kotto, Lawrence Dane

A Vietnam vet plants explosives and takes over Central Park in order to draw attention to the plight of Vietnam vets and other 'forgotten' Americans. He plans to hold out for about 3 days, until Veterans Day, but the dickish Deputy Mayor orders him removed by any means necessary.

This was one of the earliest made-for-HBO movies but still manages to look legit and is a relatively decent flick. Jones is pretty damn entertaining, in fact. The premise is kind of absurd...Central Park is huge and one guy, no matter how skilled or armed, can't hold onto it all while facing the entire NYPD....but hey. It's a movie.

According to the commentary track, this is actually based on a novel and significant changes were made to the Tommy Lee Jones character. In the book, he's a genuine psychopath, and racks up a significant body count. In the movie he's presented as very sympathetic, even if he IS a bit crazy, and the entire plan was concocted by a fellow vet who killed himself.

The score is by Tangerine Dream, who have scored dozens of movies over the years, if there are any unlikely fans here. Of and very little was actually filmed in New York. Most of it was filmed in Toronto.

It's a mild curiosity just because I think a movie like this wouldn't get made anymore. It's definitely not something that you MUST see but if you like Jones or these Vietnam trauma sort of flicks, you may want to give it a try.

Comment

• Helen Shaver was in the 1978 cinematic trucker masterpiece High Ballin. Talk about a movie that wouldn't get made today.

Comment

• Devastating

Comment

• Goddammit all to hell.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• We always knew this day would come. But too soon, too soon.

Comment

• link-1986.jpg

LINK (1986)
                        d. Richard Franklin
                        Starring: Elizabeth Shue, Terence Stamp, Steven Pinner, and some apes

Terence Stamp is a leading Professor of ape-training and he agrees to allow biology PhD Elizabeth Shue to come out to his country home for the summer to make him coffee, make him sammiches, and GET OUT any time he starts screaming at her. He's got three chimps with him out there: baby Imp, female Voodoo, and the titular Link, a former circus ape who likes to start fires, smoke cigars, and wears butler clothes. In real-life he's also not a chimp but an orangutan dyed black for the movie.

Then the Professor disappears, the car is gone, and Elizabeth Shue is suddenly alone and isolated with the three apes in this remote mansion. Oh and this part of England has packs of barking mad dogs about, don't you know, so it's dangerous to travel by foot.

Antics and mischief ensue. It turns out the apes are a bit hungry...hungry for MURDER!!!!!

As far as sort-of-trashy movies go, this one is a lot of fun. Jerry Goldsmith even did the music and the main theme reminds me of Gremlins in a way. It's kind of a transition your kids into real horror movies sort of thing. The apes are really well-trained! Especially Link (obviously). It's also unintentionally funny how oblivious Elizabeth Shue's character is for 2/3 of the movie only to turn extremely resourceful and almost a badass by the end.

Comment

• And here's the great main theme to "Link"

Comment

• THREE O'CLOCK HIGH (1987)
                            d. Phil Joanou
                            Starring: Casey Siemaszko, Richard Tyson, Anne Ryan, Stacey Glick, Jeffrey Tambour

High school student and school paper reporter Jerry Mitchell arrives at school to find everyone abuzz about the new transfer student: Buddy Revell. Jerry encounters him in the bathroom and makes the mistake of touching him, which results in Buddy throwing him around and challenging him to a fight at 3 PM.

This holds up better than most of the more famous 80's high school movies and stars nothing but character actors. It's goofy, self-aware, and pretty entertaining.

Comment

• The ending scene in the school would not be filmed today like that, but Miss Farmer was a smoke show to my teenage eyes.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                The ending scene in the school would not be filmed today like that, but Miss Farmer was a smoke show to my teenage eyes.
                                Haha, absolutely not. That whole book report scene I was thinking, man this would get cut today...

Comment

Working...
                                X