No announcement yet.

DSL's Movie/TV Reviews and Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potter makes the film, what a great performance. So many great lines.

It always gets me when Harry reads aloud Sam Wainwright's letter at the end.
    Last edited by froot loops; January 24, 2023, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
      Yes I have. It’s well done. Just realize it’s a “war is bad and stupid; man’s inhumanity to man” kinda film.

But for a period piece that centers around trench warfare, I’m not sure they could have done a better job.
      Well considering the original version and the novel it’s based upon it’d be pretty fucked up if it was a happy go lucky wartime adventure.

Comment

• Correct. I was proceeding as if he were unfamiliar with the content.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I was hoping it was more like Stripes

Damn
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent,

Have you played the Mittens bot on chess.com?

It says its ELO is 1, lol.

I am currently 0-16 against it.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Also, watched JUNG_E on Netflix last night. I don’t get the hype. It was not great, imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                Talent,

Have you played the Mittens bot on chess.com?

It says its ELO is 1, lol.

I am currently 0-16 against it.
                No. I mean if it's ELO is 1 then I can only assume you've leaving yourself open to scholar's mate like 16 times in a row. Be better.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Apparently the ELO of 1 is a chess.com gag. The bot is giving GMs fits. It’s adaptive and usually hovers at 2000 in actuality but almost always beats a 3200 bot.

Comment

• Well, hovering around 2000 is more than enough to see me off. 3200 is just overkill.

I usually play the 1700-1800 bots and get mixed results. Without actual study that's about where I am. Basically the Mississippi schools of chess -- occasionally capable of surprising but always very much working with a concrete ceiling.

So, you know, GFY.

Comment

• SNL did a good skit on its a wonderful life

it is the best christmas movie out there even if its not really about christmas

would have though half you lugs preferred pottersville

Comment

• I would prefer you STFU.
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Has anyone seen the new All Quiet On the Western Front? I haven't but plan to at some point. Good?
                          Meh. Disappointing for me. It's "based on" the book instead of being a faithful adaptation, which the 1979 version actually was (I haven't seen the 1930 version).

YMMV. The Critical Drinker liked it a lot.

Last edited by Hannibal; January 30, 2023, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• the-born-losers-1967-vintage-movie-poster-old-vintique.jpg

THE BORN LOSERS (1967)
                              Staring: Tom Laughlin, Elizabeth James, Jeremy Slate, Jane Russell, Robert Tessier
                              d. Tom Laughlin

The first film in the Billy Jack franchise is a somewhat typical late 60's biker flick with loads of RAPE!!! There's not much of a plot. Biker gang rolls into a coastal California town and basically terrorizes the place. Bunch of young women get raped. Billy Jack, our unemotional hero, takes the law into his own hands and eventually shoots the biker leader in the face. But only after lots of talk about pacifism.

For a movie that's 2 hours long it's kind of shocking how little action there really is. There's an extremely lame "fight scene" about midway through. Billy Jack applies the principles of "karate" to three biker toughs in a poorly edited sequence. Then there's not much else before the finale. The rape is more implied than shown onscreen (thank Odin) and I don't think there was any nudity but it's still happening enough to be a little tasteless.

Jane Russell shows up for a pointless scene unconnected to everything else. Apparently this was one of her very last film roles. Listening to the commentary makes it sound like she showed up on set for a couple hours, shot her scenes, took her check and left. But she was a name Laughlin could put on the poster (and did!)

Give them credit for casting some attractive ladies. Elizabeth James is our damsel in distress and she's honestly not bad but never starred in much of anything ever again. Jeremy Slate does a good job as the main villain and Robert Tessier is in his first role in a lengthy career as a stuntman and villain in many a B picture. Oh and they used a lot of real Hell's Angels as extras. But the movie as a whole is kind of boring and gross.

Comment

• Sounds like a hard pass unless, at some point the n the film, the bikers or preferably midgets poorly costumed as supersmart apes are mowed down by a diamond-fueled laser gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X