Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN MEN'S BASKETBALL- '23 -'24 Season.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don’t see it with Franz. Just like I didn’t see it with GR3. I think that Franz is a better player at this stage, but I still don’t see it.
    Franz is very flashy. You can see how talented he is at times. Very inconsistent at this point in his career.
    NBA teams draft for upside and potential. That’s why people are saying Franz is a 1st RD pick... high ceiling. Low floor as was displayed last night.

I like to compare Franz to Stauskas.
    Stauskas was much better at M when compared to Franz. Stauskas is a bust. Be careful NBA...
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• It's crazy that a shooter like Sauce Castillo couldn't cut it in the league. It shows you how skilled you have to be in other areas especially defense.

Comment

• I will say Franz is pretty good on D. That is the one consistent part about him. Franz having the size and ability to switch on D made the unit lethal. Given the poor/mediocre shooting, maybe I'm wrong to compare Franz to Stauskas...

Pros:
        - Size/ frame
        - Athletic
        - Defense
        Cons:
        - Consistency on offense.
        - Shooting.

Wouldn't have much hope of seeing Franz return... especially if M can only keep 7 players from their current roster.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I thought Stauskas was a much better shooter than Franz. We could have used a shooter like Stauskas in the tournament. If we had a guy like that, we'd still be playing.

I think we might still be playing had Livers been available. But that's just me and my morning after observation.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I'm really anxious about how many guys can/will come return. I still don't understand the "Covid year" exactly. Is that just an extra year of eligibility for every player in the country? So conceivably a team could return their entire roster?

You can have 13 guys on scholarship and we have 6 new guys coming in next year so we can only return 7 scholarship players from this team.

Non-seniors/grad students that are currently on scholarship: Nunez (Jr.), Dickinson (Fr.), Jackson (Fr.), Williams (Fr.), Wagner (So.), Johns (Jr.).

There are 9 players that are seniors/grad students. Assuming Wagner leaves, that's only 5 non-senior scholarship players returning so we would have 2 available slots for someone to take a Covid year, right? It would be awesome if Chaundee and/or Brooks could get another year or if Wagner returns. I don't know if Smith is eligible for another year and I don't think there will be a place for Davis regardless. I'm worried about who will play the point. If Smith is done, that pretty much only leaves Bufkin, an incoming freshman or maybe Nunez?? That seems sub-optimal.

Comment

• It was my understanding that if you were on the roster in 2020, that you got an extra year due to Covid. Chaundee and Smith were at different schools last year, so its my understanding that they could play another year if they like.

I'm sure there has to be someone here that has a better understanding of the NCAA eligibility rules than I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                I'm really anxious about how many guys can/will come return. I still don't understand the "Covid year" exactly. Is that just an extra year of eligibility for every player in the country? So conceivably a team could return their entire roster?

You can have 13 guys on scholarship and we have 6 new guys coming in next year so we can only return 7 scholarship players from this team.

Non-seniors/grad students that are currently on scholarship: Nunez (Jr.), Dickinson (Fr.), Jackson (Fr.), Williams (Fr.), Wagner (So.), Johns (Jr.).

There are 9 players that are seniors/grad students. Assuming Wagner leaves, that's only 5 non-senior scholarship players returning so we would have 2 available slots for someone to take a Covid year, right? It would be awesome if Chaundee and/or Brooks could get another year or if Wagner returns. I don't know if Smith is eligible for another year and I don't think there will be a place for Davis regardless. I'm worried about who will play the point. If Smith is done, that pretty much only leaves Bufkin, an incoming freshman or maybe Nunez?? That seems sub-optimal.
                That's my impression/understanding of the rules as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I'm really anxious about how many guys can/will come return. I still don't understand the "Covid year" exactly. Is that just an extra year of eligibility for every player in the country? So conceivably a team could return their entire roster?

I worry about the point too. Zeb Jackson will be back and Bufkin is a good incoming freshman. Jace Howard will give up his scholarship. Hopefully, Nunez moves on. Wagner will go pro. This also assumes that all six of the "committed" recruits ultimately come to UM, and that is not a sure thing..

What the tournament proved is that UM needs a knock-down shooter to go to during crunch time.

These are high-class problems to have.

Comment

• I just did some searching around about draft grades/mock drafts, etc. and Wagner ranges anywhere from 8-16 overall. So, yeah, he's gone. That puts him in the guaranteed contract range for 4 years. Rookie salaries for 2020 ranged from $22M over 4 years to $16.5M/4 for the 8th-16th pick. Howard will drive him to the airport. And should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post

What the tournament proved is that UM needs a knock-down shooter to go to during crunch time.
                      We arguably had one of those, and he was hurt. 43% 3-point shooter.

God...

dammit.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; March 31, 2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• TBF I think that Gonzaga probably would have beaten us, so this one doesn't sting as much as some of the other losses I have endured. There's still some big time symbolism to reaching the final weekend, but I don't think we were going to win it all.

Comment

• No. We weren't going to win it all but a Final Four is a really big deal.

Comment

• Yep, being in the Final Four is a big deal. And yes, would have more than likely resulted in a loss to Gonzaga.

For me, this one hurts because it seems symbolic of what has happened to UM in all major sports in big games. They get close, but just can’t finish.

Comment

• fuckin refs
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                                fuckin refs
                                You need to focus on your Kraft BBQ Sauce order. Gordon's has it on sale. Get to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X