Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN MEN'S BASKETBALL- '23 -'24 Season.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Froot's post exactly. I'm surprised if he goes in the first round, because he'll be a 10th percentile athlete in the NBA, but the height and the shot is going to be enough. He didn't shoot all that poorly for a freshman. If he goes, it's a good decision for him.

Comment

• First round money is first round money, if he does get drafted in the 1st round. NBA doesn't seem to mind drafting someone who might not help in year 1.

Comment

• 20-25 years ago there was a better argument to stay in college for an extra year of seasoning, but since then the NBA has created a real developmental league and the college game hasn't evolved. As it is, the NBA is flooded with talent so even if you are a top 10 draft pick that's no guarantee you see more than the first contract.

Comment

• Even with inconsistent play losing Houston is a big blow on a team that really needs shooters to keep defenses from collapsing on Dickinson.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I’ll be surprised if Houstan goes in the first round.

And I would wager that the number of guys who get “first round grades” significantly exceeds the number of first round slots available.

Comment

• Apparently, the Lakers WERE interested in Juwan Howard for their vacant HC position. But, Howard turned them down.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I can't imagine we will keep Howard much longer if he keeps on winning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  I can't imagine we will keep Howard much longer if he keeps on winning.
                  I think we at least have him while his son's are here playing for him. Coaching your kids for your alma matter is something the pros can't offer.
                  2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I think that once his sons are gone, and if Spo leaves the Heat or moves up to the front office, Howard would take that Heat job no matter what. If it's offered. Heat Twitter seems to like that idea. Otherwise, keeping him around as long as possible, beyond the next 3 years or so, is going to require ripping up his contract to make sure he's the best-paid coach in the conference, and a whole lot of behind-the-scenes advocacy to overcome Michigan's self-inflicted disadvantages in the non-rule-breaking categories of transfer criteria and NIL. If the transfer criteria were normal we'd have already landed one of the few best transfers on the market in Terrence Shannon and would be considered the conference favorite. Instead, Shannon is at Illinois. Howard's going to have some chances this year to remember how much the school makes his life hard for no reason other than vanity. Broadly speaking, keeping him here is going to require a very forward-looking and creative athletic director. We have Warde Manuel.

So, let's hope we can get a fourth year out of Hunter and get a ring before Howard's gone. The NBA is triple the money, no academic bullshit, no Michigan sanctimony. It's just basketball. It's where he really fits the best, in addition to where he is universally respected. Why bother putting up with Greg Gard when you can be loved on a bigger stage? We've just got to come out of this period with the championship because if Warde's still here the chances of making a good hire really plummet.

I hope Saddi Washington goes and gets an HC job already. Would really like to see him prove himself so he could come back as successor.
                    Last edited by hack; May 26, 2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• Diabte and houstan make it official. Neither is coming back.

Comment

• Best of luck, I guess.

Both are bound to ride the pine or head off to the "G" league, or maybe even Europe. Neither is going to crack an NBA team's starting lineup any time soon.

Comment

• Michigan might be doing well to make the NCAAs this year.

Comment

• Let's keep in mind that neither player was getting NIL money because they are not US citizens. I don't blame either for taking the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Geezer View Post
                              Let's keep in mind that neither player was getting NIL money because they are not US citizens. I don't blame either for taking the money.
                              Thats fine and all. But any money they make is going to be small, and short lived. Nothing like they could make if they'd stay and play their way into the top of the first round. I know.. injuries, .. etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Thats fine and all. But any money they make is going to be small, and short-lived. Nothing like they could make if they'd stay and play their way into the top of the first round. I know.. injuries, .. etc.
                                You may be right. Or, alternatively:

The rookie contract in the NBA for first-round picks is for four years with the team having an option for the third and fourth years. Let's say these players are worthy of playing in the league and let's say they show promise enough to play through their four years. At that point, they get paid as restricted free agents. Ultimately all players bet on themselves by becoming pros, but I'd rather accelerate the four required years of lower pay than play another year or two in college. If they stayed in college for another two years, let's say they become lottery picks. Then they make more in their initial four-year deal, but they become a free agent two years later.

Let's say that Houstan, after two more years, becomes the 8th overall pick. This year he would get $4,173,000 for year one, and an inflator of about 7% for the next three years. Houstan ostensibly has a guarantee from OKC this year at # 30. That starts at $ 1,662,000. Over the four years of the rookie contract # 8 makes around $ 8.5 M more than # 30.

Houstan is better off being picked at # 30 than waiting two years to be picked at # 8 assuming his next contract pays him anything significant. And my hypothetical says nothing about injuries.

Remember Phil Hubbard. Near money is dear money.
                                Last edited by Da Geezer; June 2, 2022, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X