No announcement yet.

Michigan Football, 2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And 47-14 is your final. Lots of positives, lots of negatives. My initial take is that there are the building blocks there for a good team...in 2022. As for this year...I don't know.

Comment

• Originally posted by JRB View Post
      And 47-14 is your final. Lots of positives, lots of negatives. My initial take is that there are the building blocks there for a good team...in 2022. As for this year...I don't know.
      Definitely not this year. Maybe next year with Matt Campbell/Luke Fickell etc.

Comment

• Good first game of the season, lots of things to like. Don't think Western was much of a challenge to test M's weaknesses. Just a JV vs varsity game that we didn't learn enough about M's defensive question marks at cornerback and defensive line.

Comment

• Definitely better than expected minus the Bell injury.
          Michigan won by nearly twice as much as Vegas predicted.
          We will find out significantly more about this team next week.

The announcers brought up a good point that if things don’t work out early on, hand over the team to McCarthy. Hopefully Harbaugh would be down for that.

That said, McNamara was good. He didn’t overthrow a deep pass by 5 yards. Improvement!
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Good win, but nothing took place that would cause me to up my expectations beyond my original 6-6 prediction. Still too much poor tackling on defense where good teams will make us pay. Going against a dual threat QB is going to be a problem.

I hope Bell only has a bruise or mild sprain. He's a legit game breaking threat that other teams will have to pay attention to.

I hope we can keep JJ for all four years. Lots of potential there.

Even though the defense is not as aggressive as it used to be, for some reason, they looked a bit more comfortable playing the scheme they are playing now. I dunno .. maybe its just my old-farted wishful thinking, but it looked that way to me. Still, need to wrap up when we tackle. Good teams will hurt us if we tackle them that way.

Haskins/Corum, .. not bad. Not great either. Serviceable backs that will do well against inferior competition, but lets see how they do in November when the opponents get tougher.

McNamara... not outstanding, but not bad either. He's going to be tested next week against a very good U Dub defense.

Receivers not named Bell..... Some dropped passes that were not McNamara's fault. Got to clean that up.

Hutch is good. Real good. Too bad we don't have a few more of those.

Overall, I'd grade the effort at about a B-
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It's hard to take much from this game because, well, WMU. Their defense, up front, was getting powered out of run plays. Was that good OL play or simply M's size and strength advantage?

I'm watching the game again. Is the offense zone or man blocking? On slo-mo of big run plays I thought it was more zone power and Gattis was advantaging M's size and strength. The run game was working. Not much need to mix in play action or read option. What, McCarthy threw 11 times? Not sure that approach will work next week.

On D Mcdonald said his D would be variable. Man, I couldn't figure it out, especially up front. The back end is zone and it gave up a lot of open boundary pass plays and 3rd downs. That wasn't good. Is that zone the S's or the cb's zone. Switch on and not being made? Don't know.

A wins a win and that was never in question. So, good start to build on. Problem is we've seen this picture show before and it's still bad.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• A wins a win and that was never in question. So, good start to build on. Problem is we've seen this picture show before and it's still bad
                Agreed.

Last year the team started on the road against a better team and looked good then as well. Then, the rest of the season happened.

U Dub will bring in a much better team. Lets see what happens there.

Comment

• Blake Corum impressed me, fast, slippery, explosive, can break tackles. Total package, should be a very good B1G back Can his OL make holes for him? Losing Bell really hurts, hopefully not a lost season, he's been under appreciated. Cade wasn't asked to do too much with having a lead early, playbook narrows a ton when you need to score on every possession.

Good to see Daxton Hill finally move to nickel and make corner less of a worry. Wanted Hill at corner since day 1.

I'll wait till UFR on the DL but variable fronts (3-4 base) and got pushed back more than they should. Still a major worry.

​​​​​​

Comment

• On another subject, probably worthy of its own thread, Jim Brandstatter and Dan Dierdorf announced today that they are both retiring from the M radio booth at the end of this season.

Brandstatter, 72, who handles the play-by-play, and Dierdorf, 73, the analysis, announced their joint decision in the opening minutes of Saturday’s season-opening game broadcast.

Overall, considering Brandy has been involved with Michigan Replay and the M Radio network since Bo's regime, I think he's done a decent job. I have certainly disagreed with many of his opinions, but overall Brandy has done a fine job.

Dan Dierdorf came out of retirement and said he'd work five years in the M booth. He actually has worked 8 years. Dierdorf is a Michigan Man in every sense.

Now, please don't let Matt Shepard get the play by play job. PLEASE

Comment

• Looks like HARBAUGH!!! has hit his stride. The rest of the B1G beware.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Looks like HARBAUGH!!! has hit his stride.
                        Yer right. He had his hip fixed. His stride is fine now.
                        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• STFU
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                            On another subject, probably worthy of its own thread, Jim Brandstatter and Dan Dierdorf announced today that they are both retiring from the M radio booth at the end of this season.

Brandstatter, 72, who handles the play-by-play, and Dierdorf, 73, the analysis, announced their joint decision in the opening minutes of Saturday’s season-opening game broadcast.

Overall, considering Brandy has been involved with Michigan Replay and the M Radio network since Bo's regime, I think he's done a decent job. I have certainly disagreed with many of his opinions, but overall Brandy has done a fine job.

Dan Dierdorf came out of retirement and said he'd work five years in the M booth. He actually has worked 8 years. Dierdorf is a Michigan Man in every sense.

Now, please don't let Matt Shepard get the play by play job. PLEASE
                            Considering Shepard gave up his radio UM BB play by play gig for the BSD Tigers play by play gig. Don't think he is a candidate.
                            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Brandstatter and Dierdorf are just “not good”. They’re like LaVar Burton trying to host Jeopardy. They just don’t do a very good job, but, for some reason, people think they deserve it.

Comment

• SACK TIME!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X