Michigan Football, 2021 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
    I think he has an agreement with the Lindeman's where they allow him in a bit earlier than the other customers. If Michigan was still a good team and winning like they should I'd almost expect to see Doug with a Class A motorhome back there, camping out the entire weekend ...
    Thanks Liney, you too Mike.

I remembered Doug always being first one there at Lindy's Lot years ago and having a special arrangement with Lindy to be "last one out turns out the lights". And always in that back corner, too.

My guess is that Doug would be there by mid morning, unless he's gotten rather blah (like many of us have) over college football. Though I have only stopped by a small handful of times since our tailgate bunch moved to AAGO, I could detect about 3-4 years ago, maybe even prior to that, that Doug no longer had the same level of enthusiasm as years earlier.

Speaking of AAGO, we're quite possibly going to migrate out of there. $450 for a season pass or $70 for 'premium' games and $60 for directional college noon games has us looking at other more reasonable options. We're trying out Trinity Lutheran ($30) this weekend and the U of M Golf Course ($40) for an upcoming game or two as possible full-time options for next season and beyond. If Lindy would allow canopies we'd probably even consider his lot again.

​​​​​Obviously the effects of RichRod, Hoke, and now Harbaugh's underachieving ways has taken its toll on most of us. The price of tickets and everything else has about reached our limits and parking/tailgating cost is one of the few variables we might still be able to somewhat control.
    Last edited by Rob F; September 2, 2021, 01:39 PM. Reason: Autocorrect apostrophes are not ok; Frank Zappa's 'Apostrophe' is ALWAYS ok.

Comment

• ​​​​​Obviously the effects of RichRod, Hoke, and now Harbaugh's underachieving ways has taken its toll on most of us.
      For me, the beginning of the end was the end of the 2005 season. IIRC, that was the first season of "seat licenses", and the season ended with a lackluster effort against OSU, and Lloyd Carr looking like he'd rather be doing anything but coaching M football. Tressel had taken Lloyd ball, made it work with better personnel, and threw it back in Lloyd's face. Carr had no answers, and it was obvious. In addition, our day was ruined when we went to our seats, and over 80% of the regulars that we sat with in our section, throughout the season, had sold their tickets to OSU fans. We were totally surrounded by OSU fans. I had a OSU lady nearly sitting in my lap, and I felt like I was in Columbus instead of A2. It was horrible. I did not renew my tickets the following year. After that, the RichRod fiasco, and Hoke regime sapped me of all my optimism. With Harbaugh, I've accepted that his brand of football is the new acceptable normal for those who make the decisions regarding Michigan Football. There's nothing I can do about it. This is what the U-M leadership wants, and its what they get. This year's OSU v M game in Ann Arbor will be the most embarrassing game of my lifetime. I have no doubt of that. The stadium is going to be a big red O. And it could have been avoided if anyone in authority gave a crap.

/////rant

Sorry, Rob.
      Last edited by lineygoblue; September 2, 2021, 02:42 PM.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

For me, the beginning of the end was the end of the 2005 season. IIRC, that was the first season of "seat licenses", and the season ended with a lackluster effort against OSU, and Lloyd Carr looking like he'd rather be doing anything but coaching M football. Tressel had taken Lloyd ball, made it work with better personnel, and threw it back in Lloyd's face. Carr had no answers, and it was obvious. In addition, our day was ruined when we went to our seats, and over 80% of the regulars that we sat with in our section, throughout the season, had sold their tickets to OSU fans. We were totally surrounded by OSU fans. I had a OSU lady nearly sitting in my lap, and I felt like I was in Columbus instead of A2. It was horrible. I did not renew my tickets the following year. After that, the RichRod fiasco, and Hoke regime sapped me of all my optimism. With Harbaugh, I've accepted that his brand of football is the new acceptable normal for those who make the decisions regarding Michigan Football. There's nothing I can do about it. This is what the U-M leadership wants, and its what they get. This year's OSU v M game in Ann Arbor will be the most embarrassing game of my lifetime. I have no doubt of that. The stadium is going to be a big red O. And it could have been avoided if anyone in authority gave a crap.

/////rant

Sorry, Rob.
        I remember that game but for a completely different reason: we led that game by 2 scores about midway through the 4th quarter and I made the mistake of remarking to my buddies "we've got this one", only to then watch us let it slip away---IIRC, ohio scored a TD on about a 90-yard drive, scoring with maybe a minute left. Never again will I prematurely declare victory. One of the most bitter losses I've ever witnessed.

But never have we had to deal with an 80% red-clad crowd in my 40 seasons (yes, those seats since 1980, started out in 1977 five rows from the top row of the SE corner) in my same seats in section 36. It's been at very most roughly 25% butt-guys in our end zone; it then becomes magnified when Michigan fans leave early even when the game is still winnable; that is when the osu mother truckers really take over because those bastages are too plowed to even be aware they have their truck keys. Even in the 2nd half of the Hoke game when Devin Gardner nearly willed us to victory on a broken foot, it was disgusting to see Michigan fans leave early so they could be the first ones on the freeways home. F*** them!

Comment

• The 80% that I'm referring to were the people who sat within a 4-5 row area around us. It wasn't the entire section, (18) but it felt like it. As we walked back to the lot I told my son that I wasn't renewing my tickets the next year. I'd sat with those people around me for about 6 years, and for them to sell their tickets was unforgivable, in my book. I refused to sit with them again.

As for the team's performance, once I realized that the current direction of the program was what the new expectation is, I was able to let go of the emotional side of my fandom. This is what Michigan is now satisfied with. Beating OSU and challenging for a Big Ten title and a chase for the NC is not a priority. And its not my fault, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'll always be a fan of M football, but I've learned not to take it so seriously anymore. I guess if the folks on State Street are satisfied, then I should be too. They must be satisfied, because Harbaugh is still here.

So from now on its 8-4 seasons are the ceiling, and mismatches in Florida against over-achieving SEC teams is the reward.

This is Michigan football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob F View Post

I'll be there for both the WMU and Washington games, Jeff. But like I thought when we discussed it here last week, I won't be dropping by Doug's tailgate this weekend. I'm planning on doing so prior to the Washington game when I'll have a ton more time.

What time does Doug set up at the Scio Church Road lot?
            We're setting up today, Rob. Doug has an agreement with the property owner and he sets up the day before the opener and leaves everything there until the last home game. Ask me again before the Washington game and I'll know when the Scio lot opens. It's usually around 7:30 for noon games and noon or so for night games.
            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Per court orders, I’m legally obligated to notify you all that I will be in attendance tomorrow.

Go Blue!

Comment

• Yes ..... I knew as the game approached, the Big House beckoned, you'd be there. Maze and Blue runs deep. I hate it and cherish it.
                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I figure it’s more efficient to listen to you in person than read through your posts.

Go Blue!

Comment

• Per NCAA stats (reported by Mlive) ticket sales are the lowest they've been during Harbaugh's 7 seasons: 84,629 season tickets for it's 7 game home schedule - a strong one. This figure includes 66,134 regular, full priced season tickets and 18,495 student tickets.

People I trust with some degree of inside info think this is a massive exaggeration. Questions include how many of this 84K are 2020 tickets pushed forward to 2021? Who actually did not renew? Michigan officials have lied about ticket sales for along time and think it's funny. Nobody seemed to care. They care now because:
                    • See Seth's (mgo) report of how M uses Stub Hub as it's ticket shill. There are believed to be close to 20K tickets turned over to them. It's probably a lot higher this year because of non-renewals of season packages that M turned into single ticket sales and deeply discounted them to Stub Hub. People that buy these aren't M fans but what used to be street sellers looking to turn a profit. Those guys are few and far between recently. M's shitty on field performance under Harbaugh as made it risky for Stub Hub to buy tickets for resale - people haven't been buying them.
                    • Costs of parking and food - this has been discussed at length but the average family is getting priced out of the market. It costs $60 this season to park at the Pioneer HS lot across from the Stadium. $40 bucks on the golf course ($70 for osu). Basic lots close by are now charging $30 and up - it was $20 3y ago. There's a lot that undercuts everyone, fills up quickly along with the others and then suddenly is charging last minute $80 to snag spaces these butt heads have set aside for that purpose. Crazy.
                    Here's my take: After Dave Brandon catastrophe and Hoke sending concussed QBs back into play, Schlissel wanted nothing to do with the AD. Manuel was hired to run M's athletic programs and leave Schlissel alone. He was also directed to hire coaches that got M athletes into the Olympics (whihc he's succeeding at) M football and M B-Ball are revenue generators only and Football is no longer considered the front porch to the U. That Harbaugh has lasted is a reflection of the step back that among the regents and administrators, as Linesman remarks, they're collectively satisfied with mediocrity and no scandals.

JH's 6y record is a respectable 49-22, .690. He's not beaten OSU once (or any teams with a pulse that are trying) and last season lost to the worst MSU team in it's history among another 3 embarrassing losses. One to a winless PSU in AA and one to Maryland where it was clear the team quit on him reasoning let's not make a bowl and have to put up with 15 practices where nobody cares.

I need to keep reminding myself of this reality as I get excited about seeing M football tomorrow. Regardless of the outcome, nothing will change that is fundamentally underpinning the football program.

Comment

• Well, I'll feel better if M wins tomorrow. It all starts with the product on the field. Attendance is a secondary subject and will take care of itself if this football program looks better than the 2020 embarrassment.

Go Blue! Please be good, McNamara! I saw flashes of greatness in the 2nd half vs Rutgers last season... for whatever that's worth. 😅
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I can't get away from a replay of M v Army 2019.

I'll give M a FG for a less than 100K home field advantage.

Michigan ----- 31
                        Western ----- 28

Comment

• Sandbaggus Oldmanus
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm definitely old, but I don't think this is sandbagging, Wiz.

WMU returns an excellent QB and WR's. Michigan traditionally has trouble in those situations, especially early in the season.

This one is going to be close.

Comment

• shaddup
                              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm in the stadium. It's 11:20. Maybe 20% capacity is seated. I'll check back in 10m b4 ko.

Comment

Working...
                                X