No announcement yet.

Northern Illinois 10, Michigan 63 - Post Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are several Big10 teams that have looked clearly worse than Rutgers. They seem competent.

Comment

Schiano is a better coach than the stuffed shirts they've had there in the meantime. He knows defense, and he knows how to get his team(s) ready.

However, Michigan has a very good record in home Big Ten openers, and this resurgence of the running game is not being done with smoke and mirrors. There is more toughness in the OL, and the RB's. And, we finally have a RB with some breakaway speed. We haven't seen that kind of speed out of Michigan's backfield since the Denard Robinson days.

I like Michigan's chances of beating Rutgers, but I wouldn't want to see them go into that game overlooking them.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

In the olden days Buchanan used to gloat about bringing in the minnows and feeding them to the lions in front of 100k. Now he is reduced to talking about data and data points he can't see the forest from the trees. Just say no to Mgoblog and fancy stats. You guys should not be tearing up a directional school. Offense should be a complicated calculus problem.
        Last edited by froot loops; September 14, 2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Fancy stats form a point of reference. That's it. I like to look at them and write about how some of them, not all, fit the positives or negatives that M displays on the field in live action.

In the "olden days" and that would include after 1967 and up to the first 3 seasons of Jim Harbaugh's HC tenure, I might have done that. It didn't last.

I'm generally an optimist. I choose to not live my life in a state of depression over M football when it fails.. I'm more likely to try to find the sunshine in the dark clouds.

There was a time that it defined a part of me that has to do with commitment to the task at hand, sticking to it until you get it right and leadership. Michigan football was a motivating force for me wrt those core values that was pretty much erased by the 2019 and '20 seasons for obvious reasons. The core values remain but they're not inspired by Jim Harbaugh or M football. I've gained perspective with age.

If you're missing that, and I'm not saying you are, Froot, this is a well written piece on that subject:

Preamble: I was writing a little something to lead into my weekly NOT UV thing I've been doing weekly since August, but guess what? UV is back today. So, who needs a rip-off version when we have the real thing?  RIP fake UV. Thanks to the handful of people who read, commented, complimented, etc.  That said, I decided to finish out my lead-in as a more fully formed diary entry below.  

Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Rutgers returned most everyone from last season, they could do pretty well in the B1G West but the East will be brutal.

Comment

mgo's FFFF Offense NIU is up. What I found interesting is that in it's last two games of the 2021 season, NIU has run a pro-style offense. Last season and the season before that, NIU was running a spread offense. Film demonstrates their offense is pretty much like M's - run focused with a lot of pulling guards and TEs as blockers. RB Harrison Waylee is the danger man in the offense running behind a solid, if not over-powering OL There is one WR threat.

Lombardi, NIU's QB formerly of MSU fame, doesn't pass much and it appears that's by design. Lombardi can drop dimes on deep throws but throws more pics than dimes when he's pressured on drop backs. His style is to get the ball out quickly on short passes. His 6.1 YPA is telling.

The key to beating NIU is to get an early lead and make them play from behind. Wyoming got a huge lead but NIU mounted a comeback ...... with Lombardi throwing 3 INTs in the process of that comeback.

In another piece I read about Washington, their D sold out to stop M from edging - getting to the outside. It seemed they were satisfied getting beat up in the run game to prevent getting edged by M's offense and preventing the big pass play off the PA (that never materialized). They never adjusted to the run game with the PA pretty much absent by bringing the S's up for that ill-advised approach.

NIU is not likely to do that and getting to the edge is going to be a lot easier for M v. NIU. The O is going to look more like it did v. WMU than it did v. Udub.

Michigan 45, NIU 17.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

I think M has the defensive edge in this one, and it will be one of very few games where M will have the talent edge on defense. And, if they approach the game the same way they did U-Dub, by running and shortening the game, then Huskies Part Deux will have no chance. A controlling offense is the best defense you can have, because it limits the amount of times that the opposing offense can get on the field with scoring chances. Its Bo Ball, 2021 version.

I'm actually more concerned about next week vs Rutgers. Schiano game planned well for M when he was at OSU and he knows how to thwart Harbaugh.

Comment

Lombardi (/ MSU offense) actually had a great strategy vs M last year. Toss it up to your WR if they are being covered by Germon Green or Vincent Gray. Hope for the best.
                  Worked almost flawlessly vs M’s defense.
                  Highly doubt it happens again. At least Rocky Lombardi had a moment in the past vs M.

This is the one M game I will miss. Glad it’s the one I do miss.
                  Anticipate it being a blowout with plenty of playing time for McCarthy.

M 55
                  NIU 17
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

If they were supposed to covered by Gray, they probably weren't covered

Comment

BTN Friday interview with JH suggests that McNamara is going to get his shot to demonstrate he should be the starter and is more than a "game manager." Harbugh intimated that the reason McNamara won the starting job over McCarthy - more athletic - is "what's between his ears. The UFR offense showed he has the ability to make great pre-snap reads and turn those into RPS positives. He was 4/5 on RPOs (making the right read) but 2/7 on Zone Reads.

Washington had a shit ton to do with why McNamara had 44y. Their DC basically failed the team by refusing to vary his scheme in particular allowing M to gash the D between the tackles. They sold out to stop M's passing game to the edges with their LBs - that are good - and played a 2HI defense on the back end those safeties "lining up in Ypsilanti." It was crazy. It explains why M ran for over 300 yards and, IMO, exonerates Gattisbaugh's play calling..... well about 90% of it.

If M succeeds in road grading a smaller NIU defense, I'm not sure a need to force the S's back with M's fundamental passing game - that throws outside depending on how the corners play and an occasional bubble screen and crosses will be needed. I think the argument that M's passing game needs to be exercised is valid. Hope to see it.

Comment

Bell is off crutches and moving well with a knee brace. Not a big deal as prior to surgery, swelling has to be resolved. That he's in a brace means that swelling is diminishing on schedule.

Comment

AJ Henning now returning punts, and rather well to start.

Comment

7-0, good guys. That did not take long.

Comment

but .... but ... but .... they didh't THROW for that touchdown .... WHAT'S WRONG WITH MICHIGAN'S PAsSING GAME!!!!!!!!!??????

Comment

Harrell bit really hard on that option.

Comment

Working...
                                X