Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So when does the other shoe drop and what is it going to be?

Comment

• LOL. Of course the last 20 years of Michigan sports suggests that you are right and let's just get that over with.

Comment

• It's going to be something huge since the punishment has to exceed the good part.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
          Jace is a low three-star. Maybe Juwan can be like Beilein and coach up MAAR-level recruits like that all the time, but maybe not. I'm talking about guys like Bajema exactly, or Zavier Simpson, or Livers, who was IIRC a top-100 recruit. Guys in that 40-70 range. You often get as much out of them as juniors as you do out of a very talented one-and-done frosh, especially off the ball where they can play a supporting role, show the NBA enough to bet on potential, and then move on.
          I don't know what number makes a guy a low 3* but Jace's current composite is at #173. That's considerably higher than, say, Aubrey Dawkins was as a 3* (#396, and nearly 40 spots higher than Rahk), so maybe he's starting at a higher floor and doesn't need Beilein-level coaching up.

Comment

• I stand corrected. I thought he was down in that 350+ range. Perhaps he's gotten a recruiting bump.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              I stand corrected. I thought he was down in that 350+ range. Perhaps he's gotten a recruiting bump.
              He did, about a month ago. I guess he had a good summer.

Comment

• Good to hear, then.

Comment

• From the Twittersphere, Hunter Dickinson is making an unofficial visit this weekend, as his girlfriend has been offered a track scholarship in Michigan. Also, 2021 top-ranked PG Khristian Lander (#12c) is making an OV. He's only a Junior, so anything can happen, but he has 2 of his 3 CB's in for Michigan.

Comment

• I read the Twitter info on Lander and his recruitment sounds promising for Michigan.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Still doesn't answer the question of who's the lead on-ball player in '20, unless Zeb is ready as a frosh. Would prefer to have one of Burnett or Christopher here as well.

Comment

• No hope for DeJulius to take over PG after Walton? I think we'll see what we have in him this season.

Comment

• Hopefully. Ideally DDJ shows he can do the job, and you have an elite wing creator as well, because DDJ should be able to spot up and space the floor. I don't know that DDJ is going to be able to get all the way to the basket and create for others, but he certainly looks like he's got a handle and shoots 3s off the dribble like senior-year Walton. Could be a similar type of player.

If things are serious with Lander, and DDJ has a good season, I could imagine Zeb Jackson feeling a bit squeezed and looking around. I guess it depends on Zeb's ability, comfort and desire to play the 2.

Lovely problems to have, from the fan and coach's standpoint. And all of this is very premature.

Comment

• Zeb is fine (he's a combo guard) unless M lands someone like Moody or Burnett.

Comment

• Some of the commentary I've heard suggest he's really more of a PG who isn't too small to play off the ball, but that really he's the kind of player you want on ball. Juwan may be just able to bring in better versions of that.

And, I don't know how to feel about it, frankly. I like the idea of top-75 players who get a year of seasoning and then give you a year or two of heavy minutes. Especially at PG. Maybe I'm just so used to Beilein's style of requiring low turnovers and solid execution of a complex offense, but the idea of a lesser-talented but also less mistake-prone multi-year player really appeals in any system, and it's those kinds of players who comprise the majority of starting lineups for most championship teams in the one-and-done era anyways.

Moody's definitely an off-the-ball 3&D wing. Burnett's a fit because he wants to be a heavy-usage one-and-done player. So you could see Zeb backing him up and sliding nicely into a starter role as a sophmore. Zeb with a year of seasoning could be better than Lander coming in fresh. I have no idea, and that kind of choice would be case-by-case in terms of what's better. Maybe Lander is just incredibly special. He'd still have to beat out Zeb and possibly DDJ. And you can't know what's what until they're actually on the team and competing for playing time.

Which is all to say that playing-time transfers are likely and not a bad thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
                                From the Twittersphere, Hunter Dickinson is making an unofficial visit this weekend, as his girlfriend has been offered a track scholarship in Michigan. Also, 2021 top-ranked PG Khristian Lander (#12c) is making an OV. He's only a Junior, so anything can happen, but he has 2 of his 3 CB's in for Michigan.
                                The Dickinson rumor has been shot down.

Comment

Working...
                                X