This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More video. His game seems a little similar to Stauskas:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofZXv1S2uc&feature=player_embedded"]amedeo della valle germania - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• I am a little concerned that anyone that shows anything under Beilein gets the eff out. I'm honestly surprised that Hardaway isn't searching...
      To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Looks like he can ... shoot 3s, I guess. Billed as a combo guard, so that's enticing. What's with the key not being trapezoidal? That game seem to have been played in Spain...

Comment

• Hardaway has to show that he can do something other than shoot 3s before he's even a second-round prospect, IMO. But then again I was wrong about how Burke would be valued so don't mind me perhaps...

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
            Looks like he can ... shoot 3s, I guess. Billed as a combo guard, so that's enticing. What's with the key not being trapezoidal? That game seem to have been played in Spain...
            The highlights I posted earlier show him handling the ball and passing a little more. He's said to have played some PG but I guess not on his American team this past season.

Ideally, he'd be a guy that's replacing Brundidge's spot on the depth chart and not Burke.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              I am a little concerned that anyone that shows anything under Beilein gets the eff out. I'm honestly surprised that Hardaway isn't searching...
              That isn't really the case. Manny could've left after his Sophomore year and Sims after his Junior year if we are going off of "showing anything". They both did what Burke is doing and came back.

Breakout players are almost always going to look to the NBA. That's their goal. I expect Mitch and GR III to at least do the same thing and maybe even leave next year if they live up to their billings.

Comment

• Manny (to this point) is the one questionable departure for the NBA, if you go off the info they got. I don't recall Manny being projected as a 1st rounder, whereas some Mocks had Darius going as high as #20.

Comment

• One-and-done players are a part of life now, and we should hope for more of them. But it would be nice if players who don't really fit the category, like Burke, don't squeeze themselves into it.

Comment

• Someone (maybe up-thread) made the comment about Burke's best interest being served by staying, and working with the new talent that is coming in. The thought is that the opportunity to work with good talent for a couple years will make his NBA stock absolutely soar.

But, looking back at my life, if someone would have offered me a million bucks to play basketball when I was 18-19, I probably would have dropped out of school as well.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                      Someone (maybe up-thread) made the comment about Burke's best interest being served by staying, and working with the new talent that is coming in. The thought is that the opportunity to work with good talent for a couple years will make his NBA stock absolutely soar.

But, looking back at my life, if someone would have offered me a million bucks to play basketball when I was 18-19, I probably would have dropped out of school as well.

With respect to the money.... I'm not sure the "bird in the hand beats two in the bush" adage fits in here or not. And, I'm sure the risk of injury is always a factor. But, if a multi-million dollar contract is possible in another year than why not wait another year, enjoy college life, and perhaps leave with even
                      bigger dollar signs on the horizon. To those who follow these things, what is a guestimate of the dollar difference Burke might realize by waiting another year or two (all things being equal with respect to his talent level and development). Maybe it's not as great as I might think it would be. And, after agent fees, taxes, etc I'm guessing his "take home" would not be enormous. Of course all those things would exist in the future but maybe from a larger gross.

Not sure what the economics of the Burke household are and how much that plays a role in his decision. But, for me, staying at M for another year as opposed to playing in a developmental league would be more attractive if the bump next year is significant.

I know Denard Robinson was never offered a pro contract, but seeing him at the games and apparently enjoying himself so much just makes me think that kids should stay in school for as long as they can. I know college years were some of the best I have lived and I wish I could have stayed longer, soaked in more, and went to a few less happy hours. But, as was said, nobody was offering me big bucks...for anything.

Just saw this post at mgoblog from DR about being a senior and thought I'd add it. I think it's the kind of thing that I wish all kids could experience and talk about after college. Still, money talks.

Q I don’t even mean football. I mean the enormity of, kind of, everything.

A “Oh. Everything. I am a student. I am a student-athlete. Student first. Being part of that student body was one of the best experiences I’ve ever experienced on this campus. I’ve been in the Maize Rage at the basketball games, I’ve been at a hockey game watching them play, I’ve been to track watching the girls run. That’s one of the things I could never stay away from. I love watching sports. I love watching people that I know do better.”
                      Last edited by Mackenzie; March 23, 2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                        Someone (maybe up-thread) made the comment about Burke's best interest being served by staying, and working with the new talent that is coming in. The thought is that the opportunity to work with good talent for a couple years will make his NBA stock absolutely soar.

I'm soar may be an overstatement but, then again, Chad Ford of ESPN has him rated as the #72 NBA prospect right now. I think he could rise into the top 25 with continued growth and the addition of more players to drop dimes to.

Also, nobody is offering him a million at this point but probably will be next year.

Comment

• maybe we can get Denard to come talk to Trey.

I like Beilein as a person (based on what we know) and as a great basketball mind, but I think all of these transfers and the jumping of borderline prospects to the pros is a symptom of the fact that he is a ho-hum recruiter (next year's class notwithstanding) compared to the other B1G elite (i.e Izzo, Matta). No one will say anything bad about Beilien, because he is a genuinely nice guy who I think truly thinks of the best interests of his players first .... but I don't think he inspires his players to play all out for him and so they don't feel the kind of allegiance that might make a Harrison Barnes, Henson, Sully, or that caliber of player come back for another year.

I hope I'm wrong and I might be a 'prisoner of the moment' of this recent turnaround in M basketball fortunes, but that's my gut on him so far.

Comment

• Every year, Beilein's recruiting classes have gotten better.

Comment

• " but I don't think he inspires his players to play all out for him and so they don't feel the kind of allegiance that might make a Harrison Barnes, Henson, Sully, or that caliber of player come back for another year."

What does this even mean? How would you come to a conclusion like this?

Comment

• Apparently because 2 players with limited chance to see the floor and one who was about to have his minutes slashed decided to try and get more PT elsewhere.

I think too much is being made of these transfers.

Comment

Working...
                                X