This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by *JD* View Post
    So, he's lost two starters to the NBA (at least on a part-time basis), one rotation bench player and 2 guys that weren't playing more than 1 minute a game.

I beleive Izzo lost 3 (non-graduated) players from last year's team.

Calipari loses 3 to 4 players every year.

I think you're looking at something to get upset about just for upset's sake.

Is anyone freaking out about all of the player's Coach Hoke has lost?
    Harris went undrafted by the NBA and Morris was drafted in poor position.

Beilien's guys don't even leave to go to greener pastures.

If Hoke were to lose proportionally the same amount of players (his own recruits, none of them who went to the NFL for a big paycheck) in a three year period, I guarantee you people would freak out.

Originally posted by *JD* View Post

I think you're looking at something to get upset about just for upset's sake
    Oh please. I got that through Carr's last year and all of the RichRod years. I see things for the way that they are.
    Last edited by Hannibal; March 24, 2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
      Harris went undrafted by the NBA and Morris was drafted in poor position.

Beilien's guys don't even leave to go to greener pastures.

The NBA league minimum for rookies is around 500K and it's almost 800K for 2nd year players.

That's still kind of green in my world.

I see things for the way that they are in my head.

FIFY

Comment

• Michigan is apparently back to recruiting Monte Morris. Great news there as he and Derrick Walton are probably the top 2 PGs in Michigan. We had led for him before Walton committed and then we stopped recruiting him.

Comment

• Too bad he's not a member of the 2012 class.

Comment

• It is.

Comment

• I think Hannibal's raising some valid concerns, but I also don't think one needs to value stability in the program to that extent. CBB these days is a year-to-year thing. Calipari coaches a fundamentally different team every year. I'm not saying that's the model to follow, but what's happening now is what happens when the team gets players with an NBA future and also starts bringing in elite recruiting classes. Transfers are going to happen.

I too am a little worried that Beeline (easier to spell, same to say = let's adopt it?) loses them a year early, but it's been hard these last few years, as all the factors have gone against kids staying. Harris seemed a bad fit. Last year Morris had the logic of going in a year in which a lot of top players stayed, and that makes sense when you're in the latter half of the first round. This year, one of the guys who stayed last year is close pals with the guy we might lose this year. Light PG year. Etc., etc. I need to see one or two more earlier-than-should-be defections before I think this is a knock on the coach.

I'm think the biggest question this offseason is about the the offense devolving into chucking contested 3s than it is about turnover, and on that topic I also think another year is needed before passing judgement. I think next year is going to tell us a whole lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                I too am a little worried that Beeline (easier to spell, same to say = let's adopt it?)

Aren't you a writer? Lazy journalism.

Comment

• I will never be the clever nicknames guy that you are. I am not after your unofficial position as Master of Nicknames...

Comment

• Wisely done, sir..

Wisely done.

Comment

• "I'm think the biggest question this offseason is about the the offense devolving into chucking contested 3s than it is about turnover, and on that topic I also think another year is needed before passing judgement. I think next year is going to tell us a whole lot."

I don't know how it would be considered devolving. This year's team ranked near the bottom of 3pt attempts and near the top % wise. If anything, I think he's evolving the offense to take less 3s as he gets more talent in here. From here on out, he's going to have more individual offensive talent to where we shouldn't have to take as many. While I loved their contributions, Novak and Stu weren't great at getting their own shots and even then as they got better overall, their 3pt attempts probably went down as their career progressed.

I'm not worried as much about the offense devolving in to only 3s as much as I am not using the high screen and roll as our only offense.

Comment

• I'm with Oracle on this one. The team overachieved the last couple of years, and the 3-pointers had a lot to do with that. But I agree that with greater inside talent we should have more post-ups...

Comment

• Not disappointed in the least about this team, it wasn't very talented but it would've been nice to make a run in the tourney and give UNC a challenge in the Sweet 16...

Felt this team never had everything click at once, it really missed another body down; especially against those teams that had talented big guys. McGary just being a defender, rebounder will help tremendously.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post

I don't know how it would be considered devolving. This year's team ranked near the bottom of 3pt attempts and near the top % wise. If anything, I think he's evolving the offense to take less 3s as he gets more talent in here. From here on out, he's going to have more individual offensive talent to where we shouldn't have to take as many. While I loved their contributions, Novak and Stu weren't great at getting their own shots and even then as they got better overall, their 3pt attempts probably went down as their career progressed.

I'm not worried as much about the offense devolving in to only 3s as much as I am not using the high screen and roll as our only offense.
                            It certainly devolved into chucking in the last minute of the tourney game, and at other times too. IIRC it was the Purdue game where they were 9-32 from 3 and took 60 shots overall or something. I think that in part came from an overreliance on the P&R. Beeline tweaked it over the season when oppenents were taking it away, but apart from 3s there didn't seem to be a Plan B save for a few games where they went back door 3 or 4 times with great success.

I hope you're right re evolving away from it, and agreed that it fit the 11/12 personnel.

Credit where it's due though: Douglass was effective off the dribble in limited attempts this year. He made at least 10-15 tough off-the-dribble jumpers this year that came at very crucial times.

Comment

• McGary and GR III will both be playing in all-star games this afternoon on ESPN 3.

Comment

• I guess McGary and especially GR III acquitted themselves well...

When the 6-foot-6 swingman made his commitment to Michigan coach John Beilein prior to his junior season, Robinson was mainly a fringe high-major prospect in the eyes of national recruiting analysts.

Upon his verbal, he was rated as a three-star prospect. The spring following the 2010-11 season, he moved up to No. 90 in Scout.com's top 100. After a impressive summer of AAU basketball, he moved up to No. 39.

Now, after a banner year at Lake Central and a recent MVP performance in the ESPNHS All-American Championship game, Robinson is rated as the No. 28 player in the country by Scout.com and is on the fringe of becoming a five-star recruit.
                                from http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-ba...t-the-right-t/

Comment

Working...
                                X