Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't sweat it all that much. Other than the kids that are visiting, I can't think of too many high schoolers outside of Kentucky and Indiana that give a shit about a horse race.

Comment

• I (and most people) don't give a s*** about "a" horse race, or "any" auto race, or most golf tournaments, Tennis, or most so-called "Olympic Sports", etc., etc.

On the other hand, I (and many, many "casual" fans) do tune in to things that are "events", such as The Summer and Winter Olympics, Daytona and Indy 500's, Triple Crown Horse Races, the 4 Golf Majors (especially The Masters), Tennis Grand Slam events (especially Wimbleton and US Open). Certain sporting events are so big that they do draw fans over -and-above the devoted fans of that sport, The Kentucky Derby is one of those "Events". Even if only 10% of all 4* High School basketball players tune in to those "event-level" sports, it might be enough to help tip the scale in Calipari's favor a bit, and Lord knows he doesn't need any more advantages with all the $$$$$ he already comes armed with.

Comment

• I think most high school basketball players (if they were watching tv and not playing in some AAU Tourney) were more likely watching the Clippers/Grizzlies playoff game.

I get what you are saying and I suppose they might catch a 2 second clip on Sportscenter by chance and maybe Calipari can put it in some video package to show later but I don't think this instance will have much impact.

He's getting Top 5 players regardless. I'm guessing his best PR happens when he's sitting with Davis, MKG, T. Jones and the other 2 early entries on draft night. Including this year, having coached 3 of the last 5 #1 picks, and other Top 10 picks as well, is what the kids get excited about. Not being able to feed a fast horse a carrot.

Comment

• But that stupid highlight of Calipari is going to shown around the clock on ESPN news.
          Last edited by WM Wolverine; May 5, 2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• I didn't see it. What did he do?

There are AAU tourneys going on, by the way. I just saw on Twitter that Derrick Walton has been making some big shots in OT of his game.

N.D. Kendrick
            ‏ @NDKendrick_RR

Follow

Michigan getting a huge shot maker in Derrick Walton. Owned start of OT. Big triples...Mustangs up 5 with 21 sec left

Reply Retweet Favorite
            9:38 PM - 5 May 12 via Twitter for Android ? Embed this Tweet

Comment

• Taco seems to be indicating that his classmate, Caris LeVert will also be coming to A2.

Taco Charlton
              ‏ @thekidTC33
              Follow

Michigan is goina love Pickerington Central athletes!!!haha that's all I gota say.
              Reply Retweet Favorite
              RETWEETS
              9:57 AM - 6 May 12 via TweetCaster for Android ? Embed this Tweet

Comment

• What happened to LeVert? No word?

Comment

• I read there was still a process going on with him being released from his ohio u commitment.

Comment

• Caris LeVert commits to Michigan.

John Beilein added a fifth member to Michigan’s 2012 recruiting class today as Ohio decommitment Caris LeVert committed to the Wolverines. LeVert visited Michigan last Thursday and Friday, adding a scholarship offer in the process, and chose the Wolverines over Purdue, Dayton, Xavier and Iowa. He tweeted his commitment on Friday evening: @kid_caris22: Just officially […]

Comment

• Thanks for the news, JD. Looks promising...

Comment

• That's a pretty solid class. Not fab five great, but not bad.
                        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• It's an excellent if not 'elite' class.

Comment

• Scout's new rankings of the 2013 class. Walton is #48 and Donnal is #80. Oddly, Zak Irvin is not in their top 100. He's still #63 in Rivals' rankings but those haven't been updated. I expect him to be in the Top 50 when they do update.

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

Comment

• Here's an article that they have on Scout about Irvin:

Irvin reaching "complete player" status

By Andre Barthwell
                              GoBlueWolverine.com

Posted May 17, 2012

There was a time when 2013 Michigan commit Zak Irvin was just known for his shooting. Now with a greater understanding of his overall game things have changed. Zak talks about how his game has evolved and the advice he is getting from his coaches.

Just about two years ago GBW had a chance to see a very young long-armed kid out Indiana that could truly stroke the ball from deep. Back then Zak Irvin was just happy to be playing basketball and excited that colleges were looking at him. His game is coming full circle as Zak has add quite a few more items to his grocery basket.

“I have really worked hard to become a complete player," he told GoBlueWolverine. "Along with becoming a better rebounder, which I feel that is something that can help my team, on the defensive side of the ball I want to be a lock down defender. I want to guard the other team’s best player, and I hate when someone scores on me -- it makes me want to work that much harder."

Zak continues to evaluate his game, especially how he approaches the offensive side of the floor with his play.

“It’s fun," he said. "I am really just starting to realize my length and how big I am. I use to hang out on the perimeter but now I am attacking the basket to score as well hitting the offensive glass more. I am starting to run a little point on our team as well."

Irvin is starting to see how he can influence the game in many different ways. Watching him early in this AAU season, Zak has shown a confidence in his game that makes him more comfortable out on the floor. One reason for that is the advice he is beginning to obtain from his future coaches.

“Coach Lavell Jordan is always on me about how I can improve me game. He talks to me about getting stronger, attacking the rim and rebounding more. We have had a close relationship since my freshman year."

With the conversations that the two are having now, they are not just for high school basketball. Zak clearly understands that the dialogue between coach and player has taken on a different tone.

“In my discussions now with Coach Jordan and the entire staff I can tell they are getting me ready for the next level. Since I committed they have talked about what is going to get me better as a player when I step on campus in a few years."

The way Zak has been playing, it was quite clear he would be noticed by others with his all-around production. So recently he received some very good news about his game with an invitation.

“I received a phone call last Thursday from the director of Adidas Nation that I was invited to play against some of the top players in the country. I will be flying out tomorrow at 7 going to Las Vegas."

What does he hope to accomplish out in Vegas?

“I just want to go out and represent my family, my teammates and my area," he said. "I would also like to make a name for myself nationally, play hard and have fun."

As Irvin continues to evolve with his play this summer, clearly the sky is the limit for him.

Comment

• Man there's a lot of questionable rankings on that Scout list. Monte Morris that high???? That's insane.

Comment

Working...
                                X