Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh boy, SLF. Almost universal, eh?

As I said, I don't much care what she did. If she and her supporter want immunize her with SEXIST! or RACIST! retorts then I'll take issue.

That is the Prog Playbook like it or not.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• In all honesty, I do get a little tired of being told that this is mansplaining and that that is anti-feminist and that these things label me in that way, etc. etc. These movements are going overboard. That said, what's a reasonable expectation? The movements and mentalities that birthed feminism or BLM or whatever went overboard themselves. The culture reformers didn't make the rules, but are now playing by them. Hoisting people on their own petards. Is what it is. I'm looking forward to when we get over the identity part and get to the money part. Hoist THOSE people on their own petards. That's where the real action's at.

Comment

• Bernie was/is there. Always gave/give him lots of credit for it even if I disagree. He's nuts and bolts, IMO, and he was CLOSE.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• New Mexican Beer.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Oh boy, SLF. Almost universal, eh?

As I said, I don't much care what she did. If she and her supporter want immunize her with SEXIST! or RACIST! retorts then I'll take issue.

That is the Prog Playbook like it or not.
            In my experience, yes almost universal. I think almost everyone of my female colleagues have been mistaken for paralegalss or assistants. Tked over or ignored only to have thier ideas parroted later by a dude. One time, a guy shook everyone's hand in the room except my wife's. I don't think he thought she had cooties or was a pig. I just think it didn't occur to him that she was a lawyer. Twice now I've had very nice clients assume that my female boss worked for me.

I don't know if there is a good word for this situation. I don't think that there is any animus but, there is a difference in behavior. What would you propose it be called?
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Re BLM going overboard. I agree and it's annoying.

That said the 1968 fists raised protest was about police brutality towards African Americans. 50 years of playing nice and you still have cops killing unarmed black people. I can't really blame them for demanding that people listen. (Microaggressions drive me bananas though)

What I would like to see is a society where people a) understand that everyone is doing the best they can, b) understand that they are screwing somethings up and c) listen to other people's experiences with some degree of empathy and understanding.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• I think you have to start with a society in which you don't have for-profit fearmongering masquerading as newsmedia.

Comment

• The cladding used on the Grenfell Tower is banned in the US & Germany for use on tall buildings. For just 5,000 more pounds, fire-resistant panels could've been bought.

Reports suggest it would have cost £5,000 extra for contractors to apply a fire-resistant version of panelling to tower block

Over 30 are now known to have died in the fire and that death toll is sure to keep rising. There's something like 70 total missing people.

Comment

• "Get stuffed", Strangelove.

Comment

• It should be noted again that Theresa May is a fucking awful politician. She initially declined to meet with fire survivors, citing "security concerns". She eventually did after being shamed by first Jeremy Corbyn and then THE BLOODY QUEEN and Prince William did so.

Comment

• It's a shame Corbyn is such a wackjob outside his core issues. He's too far left for even me, but good god he is a GENUINE person. Or at least comes across as one.

Then again, so does Boris Johnson, just in a bad way. British politics is so inbred.

Comment

• In an absolute stunning revelation, the usually hallucinatory "Freedom Caucus" correctly stated "Government surveillance activities under the FISA Amendments Act have violated Americans' constitutionally protected rights."

Great will be the day when the FISA and Patriot Acts finally get repealed. Time to end our post 9/11 paranoid, knee jerk, self inflicted assault on the Bill of Rights.
                          Amen to that. This surveillance, in and of itself, is more dangerous to the US than any "good" it has done in preventing terrorism.

Comment

• On Grenfell ....... I liked a film shown this morning of a very articulate neighborhood resident who was part of a seemingly respectful crowd surrounding London's Mayor, Sadiq Khan, as he toured the Grenfell area say, "we want action, not platitudes and handshakes."

Great opportunity for some ass kicking of those responsible for this tragedy (namely the apartment building owners and operators) by the political leadership in GB along with some big time help for families displaced and who had loved ones killed. Doubt it will happen. We'll see handshakes and platitudes.
                            There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I thought you boys might be interested in reading the Office of Government Ethics filing that Trump made when he took office. Lots of kleptocracy going on.

Comment

• The end of America is near. The first sign of the apocalypse was the election of Trump. Forbes magazine has announced the second sign: "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" has earned that family $122M in 2016 alone.

We are a nation of superficial idiots.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X