Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Started to rain there now... all those wooden homes and historical landmarks will be gone. Sad... great place to vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by entropy; September 8, 2017, 11:34 PM.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Looks like all the projections have it ending up in Birmingham or close now.

Thanks Obama.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Storm surges are estimated at 10+ft... how much of the keys will even exist after Sunday?

Last edited by entropy; September 9, 2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• IDK...driving down Hwy 1 there are stretches that cannot be more than 5 feet above the water at high tide, and you see ocean on both sides from the road. That's going to be destroyed...just gone. That's best-case scenario. No idea what the 7 Mile Bridge can hold up to.

It will take years to rebuild that highway, and without that land connection the economy will change drastically.

Comment

• The Equifax things made me think about entropy's cloud question from earlier.

The answer on security is, plainly, that there is none; anything you can get into remotely can be hacked. The only real security you have is anonymity, and having a password of such length that most hackers have too short an attention span to bother brute-forcing their way through. But if they want to get in, and they have halfway decent skill, they will.

Depending on corporate security is a recipe for disaster as well. No matter how skilled they are, the odds are that every major company will eventually get burned by some asshole employee with a gambling debt that gets bought up by the Chinese or the Russians. FFS, we spent like $100G on LastPass at work, and they got hacked within a few months. Or rather, they informed us they'd been hacked within a few mothts.

The only true security is to keep info offline. I keep a password list on an external drive at home, with another large SSD (including photos) locked up at work. A couple times a year I bring the SSD home to refresh the password file and add new photos. Its a pain in the ass, but unhackable.

Comment

• I do the same thing Hoss. External drive backup that is kept offsite, DVD backups that reside in a safe deposit box. Updating is a pain, but I have no worries. I take it all a step further - no on-line banking, no electronic bill pay. I'm quite content to write checks and stick stamps and have very little risk.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Civil rights lawyer from Austin. Sadly, this is the new norm in debate, on both sides.

Comment

• Hoss... probably should go that route.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
                    I was just talking with my wife about how lucky we are that we decided to take kids to the Keys this summer, as we came really close to putting it off until December. It was so great, and they had so much fun...we were considering going back again next summer. Now it sounds like it will just be gone. Just hurts my heart.

Watching footage of public evacuations in Miami now...unreal. Looks like refugees fleeing a war.
                    I lived in Key West for a couple of years back in 94-96. I spent a lot of time plucking Cubans and Haitians out of the Straights of FL. It was before we had kids, just my wife, our dog and me. We had a chance to buy a house on Caroline Street in Old Town but decided not to and I have kicked myself in the ass about that decision ever since. It looks as if twenty five years later it wasn't as bad a decision as I have thought.

Key West is a great town. It took about 6 months to get past the tourist stage, but once we got a bit established we were accepted by the locals and had a fantastic time there. I miss living there. I'm glad I don't live there now and had to evacuate knowing that my whole life is probably going to be washed away.

Hurricanes suck.
                    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Corporate security is extremely expensive and it's hard to implement. It is also not very thorough.

Comment

• How so, Froot? You mean this experian situtation?

Comment

• Key West is a great town. It took about 6 months to get past the tourist stage, but once we got a bit established we were accepted by the locals and had a fantastic time there. I miss living there.

What does that get you? I loved going to the Keys when I lived in South Florida, but always felt like it was the journey that was the point rather than the arrival in Key West. Though I could see that if you penetrate past the tourist stuff there must be a really nice way of life available.

I would like to bike the Keys. I think that might be a great way to move through there.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                            How so, Froot? You mean this experian situtation?
                            For most companies the priorities in deploying systems is not how secure is it, it is how cheap it is and how fast. There's an old project management maxim where you can have it fast, good or cheap but you can only choose 2. Substitute good for secure.

Monitoring system software is extremely expensive.

Comment

• The only true security is to keep info offline. I keep a password list on an external drive at home, with another large SSD (including photos) locked up at work. A couple times a year I bring the SSD home to refresh the password file and add new photos. Its a pain in the ass, but unhackable.
                              I do the same thing Hoss. External drive backup that is kept offsite, DVD backups that reside in a safe deposit box. Updating is a pain, but I have no worries. I take it all a step further - no on-line banking, no electronic bill pay. I'm quite content to write checks and stick stamps and have very little risk.
                              I do basically the same thing except I keep only hard copy of my passwords. I always figured I just didn't understand computers, so I had to use an external drive in a safe out of ignorance.

I wish the government would reduce Top Secret (and above) documents into hard copy only. For certain things, security is more important than convenience.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post

I would like to bike the Keys. I think that might be a great way to move through there.
                                How I envision this:

Comment

Working...
                                X