No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agree with both hoss and froot on the difficulties... hence my comments on the review. Fix the inherent difficulties in logistics and authority.

Maybe the better point would be does better leadership in FEMA drastically change the results. The answer is probably not. jmo
    Last edited by entropy; September 28, 2017, 09:43 AM.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• http://www.weeklystandard.com/go-hom...rticle/2009834#!

yes.. its the weekly standard, but a good read on America and the intoxication of politics
      Last edited by entropy; September 28, 2017, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

BTW.. when I mentioned above "the lack of urgency" and "problems within" FEMA.... I probably should have phrased that differently. I don't know if they lack urgency or actually have problems within. The outward appearance suggests so, but that could be poor communication or the lack of outward signs the org is on top of things. So maybe it's a public relations issue and not so much org, but that's what we can go on.. and it is what we see. And I see disorganization. I'm sure there are smart people in department and many who want to help.
        Last edited by entropy; September 28, 2017, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• Pay-walled, Geeze.
          Sorry. I waited until the article was on google, and took the address directly from google. No way it should be paywalled.

Try this one:

Last edited by Da Geezer; September 28, 2017, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• FTR, there have been 3000 containers of supplies in a PR harbor for days with, supposedly, no way to get them distributed. Not sure where, if any, blame goes there but it might make the Jones Act thing moot. Just a dick move. They're to begin distribution today.

Comment

• Yes. I saw a story about an hour ago where there are 9,500 containers stuck in the port of San Juan. Lack of gasoline and drivers for trucks means that they cant get the containers to distribution points (and thus emptied for another trip)

Comment

• I'm not going to kill the White House too much for PR, they seemed to have botched a few things up, but I imagine any administration would have some difficulties with the level of disasters they have to deal with. Though I would expect Trump's unwillingness/inability to absorb information and learn haven't helped.

But Trump continues to deserve criticism for using his platform to pick fights and attack people rather than trying to help promote ways for people to help. Also, maybe don't hold a vitriolic campaign rally when 3.5M US citizens are in need.

Comment

• fuckin' Trump
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• That's a bad visual too and they were stubborn for not postponing and deserved some criticism. Though I don't recall him actively inflaming petty fights on multiple fronts at the time. And I'm slightly more confidant that President Obama (or any past president for that matter) was more in tune with the actual goings on in these situations than the current guy ever would be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      The Jones Act is a law that prohibits foreign flagged ships from shuttling cargo between US ports. The implication for PR is that foreign shipping companies that FEMA may have contracted with can't go from say, the port of Charleston to the port of San Juan. Weird, yes, I know. This law was implemented when there were US flagged cargo ships. There aren't any of these anymore to my knowledge.
                      There are still US-flagged cargo ships, and in fact there was a bit of a revival in building them a few years back thanks to shale oil. The Jones Act is primarily important to protect domestic shipyards so that the DOD doesn't have to contract with a foreign company to get ships built. But it also forbids foreign crews working domestic routes, and that makes shipping expensive, because you have to pay those folks a living wage. The labor regulations are a lot lighter on ships flying a flag of convenience.

Here, now, with this, I think it's very sad to think that we are only willing to provide relief if we can exploit foreigners to cut costs.

Comment

• you're sad
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• have to see what moeller has to say about this

trump colluding with russians again

Comment

• Caught red (no pun intended) handed!
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Very confident he has zero idea what's going on at NASA and won't even find out about this until it shows up on fox n friends bottom line Saturday morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                                you're sad
                                Dude I already said I was sad -- we don't need you to point it out a second time.

However I am confused about some of our other posters, and maybe you can help. Wiz, do you have a sense of what Oracle thinks Trump knows about ongoings at NASA? Do you know if crash is wondering what Mueller thinks about Trump colluding with Russians again.

Comment

Working...
                                X