Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CGVT:
    This is the part that is most relevant and more than a bit disconcerting by far:
    Quote:

Donald Trump celebrated Sunday that his campaign to delegitimize the free press is working.

The president touted a Politico-Morning Consult poll published last week that found 46 percent of registered voters believe major news organizations fabricate stories about him. Just 37 percent of Americans think the mainstream media does not invent stories, while the rest are undecided. More than 3 in 4 Republicans believe reporters make up stories about Trump.

“It is finally sinking through,” the president tweeted.

The first rule of propaganda is that if you repeat something enough times people will start to believe it, no matter how false. Trump uses the bully pulpit of the presidency to dismiss any journalism he doesn’t like as “fake news.” This daily drumbeat has clearly taken a toll on the Fourth Estate.
    OK. To be fair, let's look at the portion you chose.

The last paragraph is mere dicta, but the evidence of its truth is in the huge numbers of millennials who have been subjected to propaganda at school. I doubt if two years of one guy bitching about MSM coverage is any threat to the Fourth Estate. 10 years as a child in a school would be much more susceptible to propaganda.

But the thesis statement is the first: "Donald Trump celebrated Sunday that his campaign to delegitimize the free press is working. Then the author gives the statistics: 46% say the MSM fabricated stories about Trump, 37% say the media does not invent stories. This is proof that Trump is trying to "delegitimize the free press"? Really? I say it is an accurate depiction of a hyper-partisan nation, and doesn't amount to a fart in a windstorm vis a vis freedom of the press. The only people who can delegitimize a free press is the press itself. And remember, half the nation sees no difference between the MSM and the Democrat Party.

Comment

• I think the free press does plenty on their own to delegitimize themselves haha.

Comment

• Snopes be like

Comment

• I'll take the mainstream media over Breitbart, but if you want to identify Jews, the latter is your best bet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
            Snopes be like

When did Snopes say this?
            To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
              When did Snopes say this?
              They didn't. It's some guy on a conservative message board ridiculing their 'incredible bias'. Kapture might be quoting himself, who knows.

Comment

• The post is from 4Chan, but kapture said it was an example of Snopes. So it must be from Snopes right?
                To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• If Kapture is a regular reader of 4chan then a lot's starting to make sense...

Comment

• I thought it was pretty funny.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Seconded.
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Talent's politics are aligning with Wiz more and more.

Take stock of your life, Talent. For God's sake, there's still time.

Comment

• Bottom line is that the country's fucked and all we're doing is disagreeing on how and why. Given that, might as well be on the side with good satire. It will be important to catch a laugh or two on the way down.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            DSL:

Thank you for the link. I would have read it sooner or later, but I'm glad you read it. I agree that that it could have been pared back, but I'm certainly to going to ignore the substance of it because the form wasn't entirely up to to snuff. It's also worth noting that the audience is very much conservatives. His core point, while fairly straight-forward, requires (at least in his opinion), a lot of effort to make that audience see it clearly. If he were writing to progs, then he could have just tweeted "poor white people need to take agency for their lives" and been harrumphed out the ass.

Look, I agree with almost everything in there. He is absolutely and totally a personal responsibility guy. I didn't know his back story, but now that I do, I totally get it. I'm glad that wasn't edited out. I cosign his concluding paragraph entirely and broad application to all poor folks:

The bolded, in particular, I could scarcely agree with more.

Now, both agree with and disagree with this sentiment:

So, he's saying, I think, that the folks who are poor are, more or less, poor because of their decisions, not some sort of outlier tragedy. And that's right. But, they are, in in large part, decent people. At least where I grew up. So maybe unsympathetic but empathetic. I dunno.

When I talk about the Ds actively pushing away/ignore flyover white voters, I'm talking politics. In terms of policy there things I could support, but measured responses keeping very much in mind that it's eventually their problem to solve. Horseshit protectionism isn't one such measure.
                            I primarily liked that he was willing to apply 'tough talk' principles to whites and Trump supporters that most conservatives usually reserve for talking to black folks ("Take responsibility for your own communities...quit blaming others for your failures...if you're poor, that's on you")

I'm a deplorable prog so that's obviously not a message I'm instantly attracted to. I disagree with him, and probably you, on a lot. But I appreciated the piece.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              If Kapture is a regular reader of 4chan then a lot's starting to make sense...
                              Not, I've been there probably 5 times, i still havent figured out the format. It's no wonder autism is a prerequisite for that place.

And no, Snopes didn't say that. It's a ridiculous joke... just like Snopes.
                              Last edited by Kapture1; October 23, 2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• O'Reilly apologizes to Eric Bolling after O'Reilly tried to use the death of Bolling's son as justification for his $32 M hush money payment.

Comment

Working...
                                X