Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ame]https://twitter.com/joelpollak/status/951836510331879424[/ame]

haha OMG, Durbin told Trump the term Chain Migration was offensive because he thought it meant slaves coming over in chains

Comment

• Froot:

The obviously interested Center for Immigration Studies did something: https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-I...ive-Households

I'm only citing this to you for the relative rankings -- not for the actual numbers.

There's also this from the SSA: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v68n1/68n1p31.html

Of note, average income for immigrants from Africa is low, which would conform to relative rankings.

More recently, here's Pew Research: http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-con...2015_FINAL.pdf

Of note, you get down to Pages 30 and 31 for income and average median income by region. Sub-Saharan Africa does way better than Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, but lags South/East Asia and Europe. Again, this conforms with my first link (which even if you disregard the actual numbers, the relative rankings is what I was talking about).
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• is hard to reconcile with
        Well, it would be hard to reconcile if Africa was the major producer of our immigrants. It'd be impossible to reconcile. As it is, it's a little less than 10%. Whereas the "problem" regions are nearly 50%.

But, if you prefer, lets not pretend we're getting the best and brightest from the regions that immigrate the most to the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
          Detroit is a bigger shithole than Haiti...just sayin'...
          Many people are saying that

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
            Well, it would be hard to reconcile if Africa was the major producer of our immigrants. It'd be impossible to reconcile. As it is, it's a little less than 10%. Whereas the "problem" regions are nearly 50%.

But, if you prefer, lets not pretend we're getting the best and brightest from the regions that immigrate the most to the US.

That's why the grouping of Africa and Haiti is puzzling.

Comment

• He needs to refocus back on his latino/mexican prejudices. Build a wall. All that shit. Not that anyone opposite him actually cares about his accuracy -- if it had been El Salvador instead of Nigeria he'd be way more close to correct and people would have been just as outraged.

In any event, this is just another day in this presidency. I don't he can't get much higher or lower. The Rs will get thrashed in 2018 and I don't think DJT will even run in 2020.

All that said, SS Queen Mary continues to cruise along even with Leslie Nielsen in charge thanks to the institutional crew-type folks.
              Last edited by iam416; January 12, 2018, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• But, if you prefer, lets not pretend we're getting the best and brightest from the regions that immigrate the most to the US.
                true.

I suspect that using academic-degrees-held as a proxy for "merit" is a slippery slope. Are we going to say that a BS from a college in China is the same as a BS from a college in Togo or St Croix? The next bone of contention will then become what is "fair" if we use degrees as a measuring stick. Next would come pages of regulations and bureaucrats to enforce them. And it cannot work because humans are most assuredly not equal in talent and abilities, and to treat them as if they are is a farce.

I believe "merit" can best be shown by having a job already waiting for a future immigrant.
                Last edited by Da Geezer; January 12, 2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• US companies kissing China's ass.

The airline found itself in hot water just a day after Chinese authorities blocked the website and apps of hotel chain Marriott over a similar issue.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Comment

• In one of the articles I posted it explained how a lot the Nigerian immigrants are getting their education at US schools. They stay and get post graduate degrees, it is a result of the Immigration act. They aren't coming over duento family sponsorships but as professionals or students.

Comment

• I'll say this ...... US immigration policy is a mess and has been for two or more decades. Trump has the right idea but his dumb-ass pronouncements are going to scuttle any reasonable policy initiatives he may champion in this highly polarized political environment that he creates by the stupid shit he utters. Don't count on Congressional Committees who are dealing with immigration right now to come up with useful changes that bring about some of the things conservatives champion regarding immigration.

Nationally he has plenty, not all, of the right ideas but he continually fucks things up by trying to make actions he's taken (e.g., tax and regulatory reform) appear to be all rainbows and unicorns and a good deal of that is supported by 1/2 truths and bald face lying.

He has the right idea on NK, Syria and probably Israel re the Saudis. He's wrong about Russia if that conclusion is based on, again, the stupid shit he says ...... I think he's probably getting good advice on that region from the people he has around him, minus the Brietbart segment (now gone). Puzzling why he just doesn't use it and otherwise keep his mouth shut. Puzzling? Wait a minute, no it's not.

I just don't know how he lasts nationally and internationally. He is a buffoon of the highest order, no one is really taking him seriously and he is speaking for the United States. Not good.

He's going to have a Democratic Congress come the last two years of his presidency that will kick his ass legislatively. The courts may overturn many of his undertakings that have not been backed up with legislative action and his legacy during the one term he is likely to have is going to be defined there.

it's a shameful mess. Welcome to our reality.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          That's why the grouping of Africa and Haiti is puzzling.
                          Coming up on MLK Day here...

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/951875894049755138[/ame]

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                              I'll say this ......He's going to have a Democratic Congress come the last two years of his presidency that will kick his ass legislatively....
                              The worst thing of all is that Dumbocrats will stoop to the level of the Repugnantcans. We all saw how the GOP treated Obama, expect the same with the shoes on the other feet. It serves no one except the drooling idiot bases and then only on an echo chamber level.

Can't wait for 2020. Kanye West vs Oprah. America implodes.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I doubt the Ds have the stomach for it. You need a McConnell.wi

Comment

Working...
                                X