No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can see your (dis)infomercial now on late night tv....

"Talent presents: Melting Your Snowflakes Video Series. Only 9 easy payments of..."
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Not mutually exclusive, but I think it's important to know where this shit is coming from. Can't just blame the kids and call it a day. Curtis is one more voice in the mix, an important one, but also a flawed one. But I don't know that many people who are making his point from the left, which boils down to that you won't have a cohesive polity of responsible citizens if politicians never speak hard truths or ask citizens to do something more onerous than to than to indulge in their individual impulses.

College campuses are a petri dish for that sort of thing, but it's far from that simple, and in many cases is the symptom rather than the cause. Deeper questions must be asked. Maybe this has something to do with economic insecurity, or selling fear. There is some tribalism in the mix.

Comment

• I very much don't blame the kids. I very much blame the adults. From my perspective, it doesn't take that many adults to affect the way a large swath of a generation thinks and behaves. I suspect that's what Curtis is, in part, getting at in terms of "power" and such. He emphasizes one angle and I certainly emphasize another (my beloved college campuses). But we would likely agree on the point that the nascent generation's behavior is (or can be) manipulated by the powers that be, and those powers that be can be a very small number of folks.

Eh, it's a lost fight on my front. You may still have a chance on yours.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yes, I think you have it right re Curtis. Not sure what you mean in that last sentence.

Comment

• That's ok. I'm not sure either.

Comment

• Comment

• interesting how diluted our gene pool is when you watch the Olympics

every other country the identity of the athlete and the spelling of their name fits the narrative you would think belongs to that country

that doesn't exist for the USA any more--there is no stereotypical USA Olympic winter athlete anymore the days of honkie hockey/skiing/boarding etc are now gone--so many USA athletes could be mistaken for athletes from other countries

I watched pairs ice dancing Friday night and the biatholon of skiing yesterday. good stuff actually but too many friggin commercials--

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                  interesting how diluted our gene pool is when you watch the Olympics

every other country the identity of the athlete and the spelling of their name fits the narrative you would think belongs to that country

that doesn't exist for the USA any more--there is no stereotypical USA Olympic winter athlete anymore the days of honkie hockey/skiing/boarding etc are now gone--so many USA athletes could be mistaken for athletes from other countries

I watched pairs ice dancing Friday night and the biatholon of skiing yesterday. good stuff actually but too many friggin commercials--
                  Maia and Alex Shibutani from Ann Arbor MI

Comment

• Yea, I really yearn for the days of... gene purity....

Where have all the Christina yamaguchis and Apollo Onos gone.

Comment

• I rather doubt that was ever the point. More like impressed with how wildly diverse we are as opposed to, you know, the vast majority of the world.

Comment

• "interesting" and "diluted" aren't exactly indicators of endorsement.

Comment

• You don't read crash very often. I think it's patently obvious that he found the diversity of our athletes interesting. And he dislikes commercials.

In any event, you can always ask. Or I will.

Hey, Crashcourse, are you disappointed that the US olympic team ain't all-white no more? Do you think the US summer olympic team is way too colored?
                          Last edited by iam416; February 12, 2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• I don't think he was talking about color in either case; sounded like lineage.

Biathlon would be nicer to watch if the US wasn't so historically shit at it.

Comment

• Crashcourse is best communicated with through pantomime and primative dance.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Crashcourse is best communicated with through pantomime and primative dance.
                                Correct. English is neither his first nor second language and his relationship with punctuation and grammar is, charitably, abusive. Porpoise trainers routinely engage in more lively, rewarding communications with their subjects than anyone, anywhere ever has with crashcourse. He ranks as the board's 2nd most detestable Kansan, which is to say he should have long ago been euthanized.

Comment

Working...
                                X