Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Can the crack staff at Fox show the alleged foul that stopped the that Swedish fast break in stoppage time? WTF it looked like a 3 on 1 and thena whistle for nothing.

Comment

• I agree with moving the bus, that's the Big Sam strategy, wait until the 80th and then go for the goal.

Comment

• When you are a public figure at that level the distinction between being a racist and acting like one most of the isn't a meaningful one.

Comment

• Although I find the identity politics strategy regarding D's and R' s interesting, do any of you think that this really applies to Trump decision making at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by drok View Post
              Although I find the identity politics strategy regarding D's and R' s interesting, do any of you think that this really applies to Trump decision making at all?
              While trump is mercurial and often acts only on his gut instincts, i.e., he exhibits racist behavior in these actions, he is also intensely calculating. I think it is this aspect of his character, appealing to his base and garnering R votes, that is fundamentally behind his immigration policy.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by drok View Post
                Although I find the identity politics strategy regarding D's and R' s interesting, do any of you think that this really applies to Trump decision making at all?
                Yes. Trump's stances on trade and immigration (and maybe a lot of his foreign policy) are firmly rooted in white grievance politics. He's a more successful version of Pat Buchanan.

Comment

• This is an excellent article that puts the Canadian Dairy tariffs in perspective. This specific sector is supposedly what the entire free trade fight with Canada revolves around and there is a major amount of misinformation being spread, in small part by Trump himself. But just a few points made in the article

1) The US enjoys a 4 to 1 TRADE SURPLUS in dairy products with Canada. Repeat: we sell them far more than they sell to us. Does Trump ever mention this? By his own definitions we are already winning.

2) Trump has repeatedly said there is a 250% or 300% tariff on US dairy. This is true only of products that go above the quota Canada has in place. In practice, virtually nothing is sold to Canada above the quota. Where Trump is right is that if the quota were raised or abolished , we would be selling even more to Canada.

3) The US has tariffs and quotas protecting the US dairy industry too and just like with Canada, goods beyond the quota get excessively taxed.

4) Dairy comprises a tiny fraction of total US-Canada trade.

5) Canada had already agreed to drop its dairy barriers as part of TPP. By withdrawing from TPP, Trump ensured that they would remain.

Comment

• Chinese officials increasingly going on the record to say that the Trump administration is giving them demands all over the place and is, essentially, an incoherent mess

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

While trump is mercurial and often acts only on his gut instincts, i.e., he exhibits racist behavior in these actions, he is also intensely calculating. I think it is this aspect of his character, appealing to his base and garnering R votes, that is fundamentally behind his immigration policy.
                      You think he is intensely calculating?

He has seemed ultra decisive, as in, willing to move on ideas pitched to him immediately -- but, little of what he has executed on the grand stage has seemed to have a plan beyond saying it is so and why/who is to blame for why it is happening.

He seems to be appealing to his most fervent base -- not general republicans. Most moderate I know R want immigration reform, but in no way endorse what is currently taking place because of two reasons: It is bad & didn't have a plan beyond initial action. What other instance, government or not, does an entity take charge of large swaths of people with zero accountability of specific personnel. Those are pretty basic red flags for a disaster.

The "I don't care what it takes, make it happen" leadership mantra is really small unit, high-cohesion stuff -- not exactly working in this national-scale trickle down context.

Comment

• Kapture,

is cotton-pickin' mind a term for collegial endearment?

asking for a cuck-weary friend

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                          This is an excellent article that puts the Canadian Dairy tariffs in perspective. This specific sector is supposedly what the entire free trade fight with Canada revolves around and there is a major amount of misinformation being spread, in small part by Trump himself. But just a few points made in the article

1) The US enjoys a 4 to 1 TRADE SURPLUS in dairy products with Canada. Repeat: we sell them far more than they sell to us. Does Trump ever mention this? By his own definitions we are already winning.

2) Trump has repeatedly said there is a 250% or 300% tariff on US dairy. This is true only of products that go above the quota Canada has in place. In practice, virtually nothing is sold to Canada above the quota. Where Trump is right is that if the quota were raised or abolished , we would be selling even more to Canada.

3) The US has tariffs and quotas protecting the US dairy industry too and just like with Canada, goods beyond the quota get excessively taxed.

4) Dairy comprises a tiny fraction of total US-Canada trade.

5) Canada had already agreed to drop its dairy barriers as part of TPP. By withdrawing from TPP, Trump ensured that they would remain.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...dairy-tariffs/
                          So what your saying, is we don't have a free market with Canada to begin with......

TPP was utter garbage, and Clinton's support of it lost her a ton of votes to Bernie. Sounds like you still support TPP.

Comment

• is cotton-pickin' mind a term for collegial endearment?

asking for a cuck-weary friend

Not a Bob Ufer fan I take it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                              Two weeks? Really? Is this what Trump's immigration policies have come to?

Authorities arrested a 19-year-old and held her in custody for two weeks after she mistakenly jogged through a beach out of Canada and into the United States.

lol

Comment

• George Will calls on conservatives to vote against the GOP this November.

Washington • Amid the carnage of Republican misrule in Washington, there is this glimmer of good news: The family-shredding policy along the southern border, which was merely the most telegenic recent example of misrule, clarified something. Occurring less than 140 days before elections that can reshape Congress, the policy has given independents and temperate Republicans — these are probably expanding and contracting cohorts, respectively — fresh if redundant evidence for the principle by which they should vote.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X