Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if Trump said this, imagine the wall to wall coverage on CNN
    Im sure if CNN even brings it up at all, will be all nice warm laughs and giggles.

Edit: Damn that is a line right out of Archie Bunker's mouth.
    Last edited by WingsFan; October 29, 2018, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      Pretty sure I've shared this video before but if you've ever bored and have 30 minutes to spare, it's a great recap of how the Simpsons went from being a subversive part of the counterculture to just another bland sitcom, clinging to its past popularity, and trying to keep up with first SouthPark and then Family Guy in attracting younger viewers. To a certain extent they were a victim of their own success.

Apu is an homage to its past glory.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• This is the Hollywood left going after Trump for being racist

Comment

• Pence had a rally in Michigan and wanted a Rabbi to say a prayer beforehand about Pittsburgh. And apparently the only guy they could find was a rabbi from the "Jews for Jesus" group.

I'm guessing this was a mistake. Jews for Jesus believe Jesus was the Messiah and urge Jews to accept Him. Nearly all Orthodox, Conservative, and Liberal Jews consider them Christian, not Jews.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            This is the Hollywood left going after Trump for being racist

but did you hear?? Mike Pence had a fake Jew say a prayer

Comment

• Axios says Trump plans to sign an Executive Order that will "end birthright citizenship". There's overwhelming agreement that it would take a constitutional amendment to do that, but that doesn't mean he won't sign something claiming to do it

Comment

• Not sure about the "overwhelming agreement" part. The language of the 14th Amendment doesn't guarantee citizenship for the offspring of citizens of foreign countries who have snuck in here illegally, and the original intent of the amendment was definitely not to confer citizenship upon illegal immigrants and/or their offspring. Ending birthright citizenship is a pretty vanilla (and not to mention common sense) interpretation of the citizenship clause and its original intent.
                Last edited by Hannibal; October 30, 2018, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• The language is pretty clear. The most contemporaneous Supreme Court decision thought it was pretty clear. The second clause creates a small exception that most likely gets at the mostly moot situation of the US occupying hostile territory. But, maybe you could hang your hat on that to say it requires legal presence of the parents.

IMO, it'd take a lot of chutzpah to rule otherwise. The answer is to amend the Constitution or deport the parents.
                  Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                  Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This would be a prime case where the originalists would prove their sincerity.

Comment

• From the sounds of it, Trump wants an EO that supposedly removes birthright citizenship from even children born of LEGAL non-citizens. A citizen can only be born from another citizen.

He can put whatever he wants into an EO but it won't have the force of law. It'll take a Supreme Court decision to throw out long-standing precedent.

Comment

• It's been a while since I updated what I know about this, but I'm a US citizen and my Cdn wife is on a green card and my kid still may not be eligible until he's 18 anyways because he was born overseas. And it's been that way since before Trump. Judging from how short our green-card interview was a few years back, if the process of passing it to one's children is not easy for white people with graduate degrees, one can only imagine what it would be like for many others.

Comment

• Is he pulling an 0bama, doing an end run around congress to have a Supreme Court rule in his favor? A sort of fiat legislation?

I would rather Amend the Constitution. However I think the only way to amend the constitution for this and a few other issues will have to be the convention of States, as I doubt Congress will buy into term limits, or repealing the 17th for examples.

Comment

• Also, it should be noted that while Trump is sucking out all of the oxygen from the room on the 14th Amendment talk, think about what the dems are not talking about this critical week...

You all think Trump is a bumbling dummy, I would argue he understands the media far better then even they do.

Comment

• Talent -- I think that citizens of foreign countries who are here illegally qualify as much more than a "small exception". The crafters of the 14th Amendment wanted nothing to do with foreign citizens sneaking in illegally and then creating an American citizen because they were technically located on our dirt. I am not deeply familiar with the case law, but if there is a binding decision that disagrees with my interpretation then that is an entirely different roadblock than having to amend the Constitution.

And good luck deporting the parents. You have seen what happens when we just temporarily detain the parents and the kids in separate facilities.
                              Last edited by Hannibal; October 30, 2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                                Also, it should be noted that while Trump is sucking out all of the oxygen from the room on the 14th Amendment talk, think about what the dems are not talking about this critical week...

You all think Trump is a bumbling dummy, I would argue he understands the media far better then even they do.
                                My admittedly limited understanding of the case law here says that Trump will easily lose any lower court decision on this issue. His EO is symbolic in nature without a Supreme Court case. But it's good that he's bringing it to light and making it a public debate item. Like many other of Trump's issues, public opinion is firmly against them until people start to learn about them and get the side of the story that CNN and The New York Times aren't telling them. There are about 300,000 anchor babies being born a year into our ever expanding welfare state. A country cannot survive this.
                                Last edited by Hannibal; October 30, 2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X