No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes, .. I wonder where people's minds and hearts are ...

http://http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/omaha-girls-handed-technical-foul-wearing-pink-fundraising-161151474.html
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The opposing coach is a jackass. It's obvious they had no trouble with the team judging by the score. The player who had to shoot the fouls should have missed on purpose but then their coach probably would have benched her.

Omaha girls handed a technical foul for wearing pink fundraising uniforms at home

By Cameron Smith | Prep Rally ? 4 hours ago

A high school girls basketball team in Nebraska is struggling to understand why officials would have upstaged the school's well-meaning charity game in which they wore pink uniforms to honor the Make-A-Wish Foundation by handing the team a technical foul.

As first reported by the Omaha World Herald and Omaha Fox affiliate KPTM, the Omaha (Neb.) Burke High girls basketball team was assessed a technical foul at the start of the second half of the team's game against Omaha (Neb.) Columbus High for wearing pink uniforms in a home game. At the time, Burke led the game by a point, but Columbus coach Dave Licari brought up the fact that since Burke was the home team, they were required to wear white uniforms. The World-Herald reported that Licari's athletic director, John Krogstrand, was the man who brought the uniform violation to the coach's attention.

Naturally, the special pink uniforms being worn and auctioned off after the game to raise $2,000 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation that night didn't qualify as white, and the game officials ? sticking to the strict interpretation of the rulebook ? assessed a technical foul. A Columbus player walked to the line, sunk two free throws to give her squad the lead and the Explorers never looked back en route to a 62-47 victory.

As one might expect, the Burke players penalized for the special uniforms are now struggling to comprehend how an opposing coach's decision to push for that technical foul fits into the larger sense of sportsmanship and community responsibility that is supposed to be an integral part of high school sports.
      "We were just supporting a charity and I think that it was dumb that we had to get a technical foul for it," Burke player Michaela Brown told KPTM.

It's a fairly traditional fundraising technique for high school girls teams, regardless of the sport they compete in, to wear pink jerseys for a single-game fundraiser. The gesture is a win-win proposition: It raises money for a charitable cause, it gives the student athletes a deeper sense of awareness of how they can make a difference in their every day life and it puts sports in their proper place.

Even a boys football team in Michigan is in on the pink jersey action so its players can help fundraise for breast cancer.
      In short, nothing bad is supposed to happen when players wear pink. Yet that's precisely what happened in Omaha.

For his part, the Burke athletic director is owning up to the mistake for overlooking the technicalities pertaining to wearing only white uniforms at home and obtaining an exemption for that rule. Still, it's hard to feel that the Burke coaching staff or its players did anything wrong at all. Rather, they used a clever idea by an assistant coach -- the World-Herald reported that the charity game was originally the idea of Burke assistant Tom Law -- to raise even more money than they had hoped for.

"It was a good event, but we just made a mistake that over shadowed that," Burke athletic director Kyle Rohrig told KPTM, taking a more positive tone when discussing the $2,600 raised by the auction of the jerseys after the game. "I'm glad we could at least be the event site where we could get that done and I am glad we were able to do that.
      "Raising money for charity is just a part of life and I think it was opportunity for us to do that."
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I'm probably one of the few people who thinks that it's the right move. I realize that it's for a good cause, but you can't just have teams wearing whatever uniforms they want, whenever they want. Coaches should have discussed it beforehand ala UCLA and USC when they both agreed to wear colored jerseys for their game.

Comment

• Are you for real? That's a chickenshit way to win. Especially to wait until the 2nd half. What a gutless scumbag. I wonder how he could tell his team to proud about that W.
          Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• They won by 15 points.

It should have never come to that though. It should have been discussed beforehand.

Sorry, but I'm a strict asshole when it comes to uniforms. I hate college football's clown uniforms. I hated Tim Tebow's stupid eye black stickers. Tampering with uniforms is one of my pet peeves.
            Last edited by Hannibal; February 9, 2012, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Right, they won by 15, so was it really important to get these two?

Comment

• Wearing pink to honor the fight against breast cancer is not something new, nor is it something that should have come as a surprise to the opposing team.

Our football crew has a standing date every season with one particular school, where we wear pink whistles, and pink socks, and their team wears pink and white jerseys. Their normal colors are dark blue and white ... like Penn State. This year, even the opposing team wore pink socks in honor of the event. These types of events are happening all over the country, at all levels. Even the pros are doing it.

This wasn't some sort of preconceived attempt at circumventing the uniform rules. It was a charity event.

We are taught in our rules clinics to enforce the spirit and intent of the rules. Clearly, the team wearing the pink uniforms was NOT trying to "pull" something, or gain some sort of competitive advantage by wearing pink. They were having a charity event.

The officials should have ruled that the spirit and intent of the uniform rules was NOT being violated, and if the opposing AD had any further objections, they should have bounced his sorry a$$ out of the building.

And, what is the opposing AD doing on the floor yapping at the officials anyway? Its not his venue. Get back in the stands where you belong.
                Last edited by lineygoblue; February 9, 2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• The AD yapped at the coach who then complained

Comment

• Well then, both of their sorry a$$es should have been tossed ... .

//high horse

Comment

• Spirit and intent.....EFZ Liney.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                        Its a full service ice cream joint, JD. Cones, malts, shakes, flurry's, sundaes, 'nanner splits, ... the whole thing.

We'll even have some food items like hot dogs, coneys, panini's (yes, panini's), nachos and cheese, etc. If I can figure a way to make hamburgers without adding a grill and exhaust fan, I'll do that too.
                        Sounds great. I don't know how close you are to a baseball field but you should try to do something like give discounts to Little Leaguers that show up in uniform after their games. I remember one of the highlights of playing baseball as a kid was going to DQ after the game. You would see kids from all the teams.

Comment

• You're reading my mind, JD. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage with my location, because between me and the LL fields, there is one other soft serve joint that is within walking distance of the fields. I'm about a 1/2 mile further down the road. But, I don't believe my competition offers any kind of LL deal. I will definitely be doing that.

I do have a major advantage over my competition when it comes to the high school and middle school, though. I'm about 2 blocks away from both campuses. I'm on the corner of M-57 and the street that everybody has to turn down, to get to both schools. I will be offering some kind of "after school special". Moms will hate me for that, .. but I gotta make money ...:-D
                          Last edited by lineygoblue; February 11, 2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Compliment the Moms.....ask if they're the kids big sister......I'm sure you can win 'em over. ;-)

Comment

• Hooters Ice Cream, works like a charm.
                              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• OP .. don't give my kids any ideas ...

Comment

Working...
                                X