No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack, fair enough ..... I get the potential problems associated with presenting links to media sources that only fit a poster's bias. Having said that, I really do try to post links to interesting topics.

I think, in this particular exchange, we (or maybe just me doing it) are talking past each other.

What the professor offered in that article seemed to me to be interesting. I read his central hypothesis this way and here's my post on that reposted:

But, in general terms, the author suggests that governments that can and do act like China and Russia in determining what to spend and where to spend it do a better job than the US in ways that advance their own government's public policy initiatives and national security objectives. I agree with this point but not saying the US should emulate these governments and how they operate. Definitely not saying that and I don't think the author of the article is either.

IOW, I offered agreement with his position but certainly wouldn't want the US government to operate like or become like the Chinese or Russian governments to do a better job advancing it's public policy initiatives and national security interests. However, while I have some empathy with the US Government's policies under the Trump administration, I've made it clear that I also believe it is doing a really shitty job of implementing them by virtue of Trump's dumb-ass tweeting and his huge ego.

Another important point. The author of the article is not a national security expert and doesn't claim to be one despite the observations about him you make in your post. He offers as an example of how the Russians and Chinese, by virtue of the centralized control implicit in their modes of governing, can allocate resources to "hypersonic ICBMs" or landing on the "dark side of the moon" while the US and EU (the "West") (is) are absorbed in, if not distracted by/preoccupied with issues such as the "viability of the WTO and sanctity of the EU ....... et. al.

I think he makes a reasonable point.

I think you wanted to make the point and tried to do so by linking to the "War on the Rocks" article that, OTH, the US military along with other NATO members have made great strides in the "form of technological warfare." I agree. My post wanted to let you know that those "serious triumphs on behalf of the US military" have been ongoing for as long as I was involved with them - going back to the 70s - and that the NATO Cyber Command is absolutely nothing new - it is simply and in a calculated way, being revealed, albeit in very superficial detail, to the public and to our enemies.

..... and I just don't get your comments warning me about the risks of media sourcing from "Market Watch" when the article is written by "an economics professor" who probably "isn't the best source of news about national security." It makes me think you looked at the source, skimmed the professor's article and missed his point entirely - the repost of what I thought it was above. From there, you went on with your "unbearable pedantry" (AA's description of you, not mine but if the shoe fits, wear it).

Like I said, I'm fine with my news feeds. So, let's stick to the main points of "the professors'" article which I don't think you would disagree with entirelyor if you do, I'm not getting that from your posts.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• He offers as an example of how the Russians and Chinese, by virtue of the centralized control implicit in their modes of governing, can allocate resources to "hypersonic ICBMs" or landing on the "dark side of the moon" while the US and EU (the "West") (is) are absorbed in, if not distracted by/preoccupied with issues such as the "viability of the WTO and sanctity of the EU ....... et. al.

I think he makes a reasonable point.

You think it is reasonable to assert that the US government is an entity that can only think about one thing at a time?

Comment

• Your next stop, and that of the author, could be the wikipedia page for Space Force. See the to and fro in this policy area, note the timeline and whether there were Nafta negotiations ongoing that the time. After that check and see if NASA's budget is rising or falling, if you care about China on the DSOTM.

And quit whining about me calling your stupid link stupid.

Comment

• The public corruption wing at SDNY plans to subpoena the Trump inaugural Committee for its records

Prosecutors in New York's Southern District have reached out to President Donald Trump's inauguration committee and plan to subpoena the organization for documents.

At least one person has already pleaded guilty to steering foreign money to the Committee

Comment

• Graham tells fellow Republicans they need to put aside any constitutional worries aside on the national emergency question and just support Trump.

Comment

• UPDATE:
              Per NY Times the Trump Inaugural Committee has already been given a subpoena and ordered to turn over all documents related to events, donors, finances, etc. to federal prosecutors.

Trump's Twitter account has been almost silent today. Wonder if him getting news of this is why?

a flurry of scrutiny

Prosecutors in Manhattan demanded documents about the committee’s donors, including whether it received illegal foreign donations.

Comment

• Comment

• Drumpf is done fore sure. believe me this time

lmao

Comment

• Drumpf himself? Probably not

More people around Drumpf? I've got a pretty good feeling the answer's YES!

Hey Kapture...DRAIN THE SWAMP

lmao

Comment

• there is evidence CNN received a copy of the sealed Stone indictment prior to the raid, and the metadata has Weissmann's initials on it

Comment

• senate dems block anti infanticide bill, because of course they did
                        An effort by Senate Republicans to enhance protections for newborns who survive abortions, spurred by New York and Virginia bills making it easier to perform late-term procedures, was blocked Monday by Democrats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
                          there is evidence CNN received a copy of the sealed Stone indictment prior to the raid, and the metadata has Weissmann's initials on it
                          Oohh, the metadata proves it! So says Roger Stone's lawyer and Infowars, who have no reason to lie

Comment

• Stone and his pro bono brain trust are likely just getting as much BS spread around before the Judge in his case slaps them with a gag order, arguments for/against such are due on Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Oohh, the metadata proves it! So says Roger Stone's lawyer and Infowars, who have no reason to lie
                              and fabricate a source from CNN and evidence? You sound like one of their patrons lol
                              Last edited by Kapture1; February 4, 2019, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• yngj5hkuule21.jpg?width=485&auto=webp&s=90a8b5d47d6f6a69186a6077e8076e0ca3ae9c25.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X