Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    Lou Dobbs demands the DOJ launch an investigation into the 'lawless actions' of Chief Justice Roberts.

This is one of the media folks Trump listens to and respects the most

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/02/p...-investigation
    I support whatever helps push the idea of SCOTUS-reform into the public consciousness.

Comment

• What Coulter thinks of Kapture, Hannibal, etc.

Comment

• I agree that the tax break incentive is not the most important thing for a business to relocate. But they are offered and routine with the State of NY. Amazon would be grossly negligent to not take what is offered.

I equate this to when the Tuscaloosa area got a Mercedes plant. The economic imact is now somewhere around $2 billion a year. They have expanded three times and there are a host of ancillary businesses that have opened up around it. Our original incentive package of $250m has been money well spent. Is it perfect? Nope. But the research done on it is fairly conclusive.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• who cares about Ann Coulter? Except the hard left lol

Comment

• OBcU4z7tQwBWd3zRZ0ipGxVhUn3ojc-cNoEfW7GhQFQ.jpg?width=631&auto=webp&s=bc7bc9555eab4d5df8c01dd2bdb6e486394f9f9b.jpg

Just keep doing what your doing.

Comment

• A second headquarters in NY didn't make sense if the catalyst was truly building and land costs in Seattle. The talent argument was weird as well, a company as big and prestigious as Amazon would have no trouble attracting talent in any decent size metro area in the continental 48. You probably are going to have a tough time trying to do what Gateway tried to do out in South Dakota. But the presence of a company like Amazon will automatically increase the talent base in the area of question. Most of the talent required in the tech industry is RTFM and www.google.com anyways, the depictions on TV of IT work is too much like Mr. Robot and not enough like Office Space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                Lou Dobbs demands the DOJ launch an investigation into the 'lawless actions' of Chief Justice Roberts.

This is one of the media folks Trump listens to and respects the most

https://crooksandliars.com/2019/02/p...-investigation
                Poor Lou, he's so confused he doesn't even know John Roberts is on his team. I kind of feel embarrassed for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Poor Lou, he's so confused he doesn't even know John Roberts is on his team. I kind of feel embarrassed for him.
                  he is?

See, I am looking forward to when Barrett replaces Ginsburg and we finally have a solid constitutionalist majority.

Comment

• The problem is whether people and pols choose to heed it.
                    As a matter of politics, I think I agree. I'd have to think about it but it's probably almost always the case that politicians and voters alike heed what they want to heed and don't heed what they don't want to heed. We part ways on your assertion of Ds fidelity to truth-finding.

I don't think it's helpful to speak of the private sector in a hate/love context. Neither are reasonable. Corporations are all driven by the same thing, and we know it's a difficult fit to graft on a secondary goal. They are what they are and should be treated as no more and no less. If the problem is purely a commercial problem, you can rely on them to fix all of the problem. If the problem is contains a challenge of any other type, they can and often should be a part of the solution, but can't be all of it. The only way to solve non-commercial problems using only the tools of commerce is to influence how commerce conducts itself.
                    1. I don't disagree with this as a general matter.
                    2. The rhetoric is often at least one of serious dislike. When "Big" is used it's almost always pejoratively.
                    3. It would be nice to have an acknowledgement of the wonders that the marketplace has solved and accomplished. And feel free to include a disclaimer describing the spectacular technological advancements with "it's not perfect."
                    4. Non-market driven problems/solutions is a massively broad category. In the context I provided, it was advancing new technology. There is no solution to that from government. None. It has to involve industry and capital. And those folks aren't, e.g., mom and pop solar panel shops. They're "Big" Renewables.
                    5. The involvement of government in other "non-commercial" problems/solutions is, of course, in the details. The scope of environmental regulation, worker safety, worker income, etc.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Poor Lou, he's so confused he doesn't even know John Roberts is on his team. I kind of feel embarrassed for him.
                      It's a terrible take. Roberts is an excellent justice.

The long-term R response to the Ds control of the courts for two generations was impressive. It was a grass-roots effort to develop sound jurisprudential approaches that took multiple decades but finally delivered. They have changed the way most judges view the law for the far better. Especially in terms of statutory construction. And Roberts is a product of these efforts and great one.

Comment

• when he's not rewriting the laws, yeah.

Comment

• It would be nice to have an acknowledgement of the wonders that the marketplace has solved and accomplished. And feel free to include a disclaimer describing the spectacular technological advancements with "it's not perfect."

You are asking for a nuanced take rather than an extreme one. It would be nice if you did that here. Be the change you want to see. The presence of the word big doesn't negate your ability to read the rest of the document.

Comment

• Supercilious.

Comment

• when he's not rewriting the laws, yeah.
                              When? With Obamacare? I can make a very persuasive argument that he was correct to do so. But, whatever.

Your girl Barrett just upheld a garbage abortion speech rule because she was bound by precedent (that is on the outs). She correctly noted that it was for the Supreme Court to decide.

That sort of deference to process is important. It's what Roberts was doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                                I agree that the tax break incentive is not the most important thing for a business to relocate. But they are offered and routine with the State of NY. Amazon would be grossly negligent to not take what is offered.

I equate this to when the Tuscaloosa area got a Mercedes plant. The economic imact is now somewhere around $2 billion a year. They have expanded three times and there are a host of ancillary businesses that have opened up around it. Our original incentive package of $250m has been money well spent. Is it perfect? Nope. But the research done on it is fairly conclusive.
                                Amazon did nothing wrong. Or, at least, not illegal. It may have in retrospect been a bit unsavvy in how it went about things. The company paid no federal taxes this year, cities need money to fix their roads and schools, and yet the world's richest man needs Yet Another Tax Break? That's the way AOC has framed it, and more people may be inclined to agree with her now than they might have a few years ago. Is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X