No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the US loses 135 billion per year of tax payer funds to illegal immigration.
    That's a fuckton shitton of solar panels and wind farms.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• In addition to explicitly calling for the demolition of the Electoral College, D candidates seem to up for packing the Supreme Court: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-court-1223625

The Electoral College thing is certainly fine. If you follow the process and get it changed, then more power to you. They can then take aim at dissolving the Senate for similar reasons.

But, packing the Court is just stoopid. And, shockingly, it's Corey Booker who makes the blatantly obvious statement -- "yeah, if we go to 11 then the Rs will go to 15 when they win...."

In any event, Reparations, Guaranteed Jobs, Open Borders, Free College, Court-Packing...I can't wait to read the D Platform in 2020!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        In addition to explicitly calling for the demolition of the Electoral College, D candidates seem to up for packing the Supreme Court: https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...-court-1223625

The Electoral College thing is certainly fine. If you follow the process and get it changed, then more power to you. They can then take aim at dissolving the Senate for similar reasons.

But, packing the Court is just stoopid. And, shockingly, it's Corey Booker who makes the blatantly obvious statement -- "yeah, if we go to 11 then the Rs will go to 15 when they win...."

In any event, Reparations, Guaranteed Jobs, Open Borders, Free College, Court-Packing...I can't wait to read the D Platform in 2020!
        Wow...I agree with you on the Court and Electoral College. I hope almost none of them are actually serious about the SC

Wouldn't mind a longer Electoral College discussion actually. Pet peeve of mine is the complaint that without it no one will campaign in places like New Hampshire, Iowa, Colorado, etc. My response to that is the current system encourages no one to campaign in California, New York, or Texas (Texas is potentially changing). It encourages no one to campaign in North Dakota, Wyoming, and Vermont as well. I think giving Trump a reason to show up to places in New York City or Chicago or LA benefits a lot more people than having candidates spend 14 weeks eating eggs at every village diner in New Hampshire's White Mountains.

Comment

• A thought occurred to me when I was reading that they're still calling for the demolition of the EC -- perhaps that would also mean they get rid of primaries. I actually think that if the Ds are serious about "popular vote" and all that jazz then they should start with their own house. As you will surely recall, HRC won the popular vote in both 2016 and the 2008 D primary.

But, yes, without an EC the way you campaign changes. There will always be places that are left out. Always. So, that's just a matter of picking which rules leave out which people.

I tend to think the EC moderates candidates. The Rs win their gimme states between the coasts; the Ds win their gimme states on the coasts; the battle is over the vote in 6-8 states that are purplish. I think if you disintegrate the EC then the battle becomes base mobilization in core states. I think the implications are obvious and reasonable minds can disagree as to whether they're good or bad.

Comment

• Johnny Isakson says he plans to deliver Trump a 'whipping' today. Says he's heard enough and will stand up for McCain.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              A thought occurred to me when I was reading that they're still calling for the demolition of the EC -- perhaps that would also mean they get rid of primaries. I actually think that if the Ds are serious about "popular vote" and all that jazz then they should start with their own house. As you will surely recall, HRC won the popular vote in both 2016 and the 2008 D primary.

But, yes, without an EC the way you campaign changes. There will always be places that are left out. Always. So, that's just a matter of picking which rules leave out which people.

I tend to think the EC moderates candidates. The Rs win their gimme states between the coasts; the Ds win their gimme states on the coasts; the battle is over the vote in 6-8 states that are purplish. I think if you disintegrate the EC then the battle becomes base mobilization in core states. I think the implications are obvious and reasonable minds can disagree as to whether they're good or bad.
              Yeah, I dunno. Maybe gimme states wouldn't be such gimme states if both candidates actually tried in those places. Trump could actually be right that if he if he had spent weeks in California instead of visiting Iowa a thousand times, he might've won a greater share of the vote.

Like you say, someone's always going to left out. I think without the EC they'd probably spend their time mainly around cities, both in gimme states and swing states, so people would object that they aren't going to West Virginia or Dubuque, Iowa anymore. But in my preferred system the candidates would spend more time campaigning around where people actually live and not scrambling for the coveted Dixville Notch vote.

Comment

• This joke/comparison never gets old to me. Can picture him wandering the WH at night hollering about someone stealing his strawberries.

Comment

• That comparison with Caine Mutiny and Queeg is entirely appropriate ....... Trump is Queeg like, bat-shit crazy despite Crash's claims to the contrary.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• With her party a divided mess, Theresa May plans to kick the can down the road a couple months. The EU seems inclined to give her till May 23 now but anything longer would require a unanimous vote of all 27 EU states.

The EU indicates a short extension beyond the Brexit date of 29 March is possible but only if MPs back agreement.

Comment

• You saw where she was not allowed to present the plan a third time. Bercow tried hard to hide his giddiness.
                      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        You saw where she was not allowed to present the plan a third time. Bercow tried hard to hide his giddiness.
                        Hah, yes, And Parliament has voted no to just about every possible outcome: May's plan, new referendum, hard brexit...

Comment

• Details of a controversial Commerce Dept report have leaked. Apparently (surprise) they have advised Trump that he absolutely can declare foreign autos a national security threat and can unilaterally impose tariffs on them should it please him to do so.

Even Trump's trade hawks are very nervous about throwing a 25% tariff on imported cars and think doing this will piss off enough Republicans to threaten the passage of USMCA. Which is why the report has been buried and they are refusing to give it even to Chuck Grassley, who's apparently requested it multiple times.

If he does this it would have much more impact on the economy than the steel tariffs did. It should be noted that all three American auto companies have made it clear they oppose this.

Comment

• The electoral college is here to stay, I cannot think of one reason why small states would ratify an amendment to get rid of it. The problem with it rooted in the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929. There is no legitimate reason that the US should stay at the number of house congressional members that there were in 1911 forevermore. The rurals got over big time on that one.

Comment

• What is the point of a 3 month extension on Brexit?

Comment

• They have to "re-work" the plan. Takes time. Possibly even another vote.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X