Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post
    not if the criticism is utter bullshit, which is most of what the democrats spew these days.
    Does the American public have an interest in knowing if their President is making decisions for the country's benefit or to personally enrich himself? If the President encouraged his administration to spend money at a business he owned when much cheaper alternatives were available, should the public know about it?

I bet before Trump you would have said "yes"

Comment

• Republicans immediately throwing cold water on Trump's infrastructure plans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Does the American public have an interest in knowing if their President is making decisions for the country's benefit or to personally enrich himself? If the President encouraged his administration to spend money at a business he owned when much cheaper alternatives were available, should the public know about it?

I bet before Trump you would have said "yes"
        Fuck it, he should stay at a Hotel 6

I mean for fuck sake

Comment

• Of course, there's probably a strong correlation between support for the Trump agenda and the amount of petty crimes & graft you're willing to tolerate in the administration. And vice versa

Comment

• Endgame Spoilers:

SPOILER-When Hawkeye and Black Widow were going to get the Soul Stone from the Red Skull, the deal is that in exchange for the stone what you love most in life must be destroyed. For Hawkeye, that is obviously his family. While he cares for Black Widow she wasn't what he loves most. But, nope, gets the stone and his family is fine. Plus, Black Widow has a movie coming out so unless it is a prequel, she's really alive.

-Hated fat Thor as nothing more than comic relief for most of the movie.

-Hated Tony Stark casually decoding that the time travel was not only possible but, "here, I made us all some time travel GPS wrist bands at my cabin in the woods."

-Hate Captain Marvel, which is a cheap knockoff of DC's Superman (and a comic that never really took off). In the comics, Capn Marvel was a guy, but let's make her a woman because that's the thing now.

-I hate Fat Thor passing off New Asgard to the girl who will eventually be the new Thor.

-I hated making Sam Wilson the new Captain. The allure of Captain America was that he was a relic from the 40's given special powers as part of the effort to defeat the Nazis.

-I am not sure why they needed all of the infinity stones. Just one would have prevented Thanos from destroying half the universe. Or am I missing something? Also, we can go back in time and change the future by getting the stones but we can't save anyone who goes back and dies?

-The fight scene at the end where Thanos just sits and waits to be triple-teamed by Thor, Iron Man, and Capn America even though he has a ship with a full array of weapons and millions of otherworld demons that he doesn't call in until much later is just silly. It smacked of a kung fu movie.

-Hated the silly relay race to get the glove to the van. Hawkeye is running with it, then Black Panther jumps in and says "Give it to me Clint." and then Capn Marvel, Capn America, and finally Iron Man and Thanos grapple for it. I may have missed a relay contestant. Apologies if I did.

-You have the Ancient One (played by a white English woman - as opposed to an old Asian man like in the comics) defeat Hulk with one punch. Literally knocked Banner's soul out of Hulk's body leaving an unconscious pile of green muscles heaped on that rooftop. Ok "she" is powerful. But why just give the stone? Why not go help?

-There is more, but that's a good start. All-in-all it was a good, not great, movie imo. Maybe my expectations were too high.
            Last edited by AlabamAlum; May 2, 2019, 09:31 AM.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• very good read
              How President Trump's legal team outfoxed Mueller

Comment

• One more spoiler:

SPOILEROh, and Captain Marvel flying off for most of the movie. Sure, there are a 1000 other worlds with problems just like Earth, but, you know, none of them are going back in time to fight hordes of demons and Thanos all while attempting to get the stones and undo all the death from the Thanos finger snap. "But sure, Captain Marvel, stay on Alpha 5 and help police that galaxy until the very end, then come back".
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; May 2, 2019, 09:36 AM.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Heard about this yesterday and forgot to post it. Indonesia is planning to move its capital out of Jakarta because the city is rapidly sinking. Significant portions are expected to be underwater by 2050. Jakarta's one of the biggest cities in the world and its metro area (supposedly) is second in size only to Tokyo.

Comment

• The Democrats:

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• AA:

hi

Talent:

shaddup
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• xoxoxo

Comment

• AA, don't have time to respond to everything but here's boring comic geek thoughts on one character in particular.

SPOILER
                          * Marvel killed off the original Captain Marvel (comics version) in the early 1980's. Died of cancer that he acquired from radiation or something. Believe it was one of the first times Marvel killed off a major character pretty much for good.

* Since then there's been multiple people that have assumed the name "Captain Marvel" (one of them a black woman during the 80's!)

* Carol Danvers was the female love interest to Captain Marvel in the original series. In the 70's Marvel was trying to cash in on the feminist movement and developed several female superheroes for solo features. Carol Danvers somehow got similar powers to Captain Marvel (I forget the circumstances) and became "Ms. Marvel". Spider-Woman was also created around that time. So she's less a product of #MeToo than the 70's women's movement.

* Carol Danvers has had numerous name changes over the years. Has gone by Binary & Warbird at times. But her powers have always been pretty much the same. I'm definitely out of the loop as far as post-2000 comics go but she's currently "Captain Marvel".

* Getting off track but Rogue (the X-Man, who started off as a villain) stole Carol's powers at some point in the early 80's and because she touched her for too long she acquired her powers permanently. This is why Rogue can fly and is super-strong. It also drove Carol insane for several years.

* Anyways, movie Carol Danvers isn't a very likeable character. I don't think the writers quite know what to do with her. Or how how Brie Larsen should "perform' as her. Part of the problem is the same as writing Superman, she's just too powerful. I laughed out loud when she showed up at the end of Endgame because i had genuinely forgot she was even in the movie at that point.

Comment

• DSL,

SPOILERAhh, I will concede the point on Captain Marvel and a gender switch. Wasn't aware of any of that. That she was his wife and exchanged bodily fluids to become super powerful. I mean, when she saved Iron Man while her hair was waving while floating in deep space I cringed. I still hold that it is a horrible character and her role in this movie was silly.

Comment

• @JohnWHuber), and his detailed thread
                              How President Trump's legal team outfoxed Mueller

Comment

• AA,

SPOILER
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X