No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch how pissy and bitchy Pompeo gets when Chris Wallace challenges him to defend Trump's "there's nothing wrong WITH accepting foreign help" comments.

Comment

• "Mr Wallace, do you know what the penalty is for disagreeing with Dear Leader, may he gloriously live forever?"
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Bismarck and Trump are in no way similar because Bismarck was brilliant and Trump is a jackass. I was simply pointing out that even a brilliant man like Bismarck eventually alienated enough people that no one would would speak up for him when Kaiser Wilhelm wanted him gone,

If a genius like Bismarck could not stave off the inevitable, do you have confidence that imbeciles like Trump and Pence are better than him?
        Actually I agree with you on the Bismarck/Trump comparison.

On the second part, I may not like it because I'm unlikely to vote for Trump, assuming there's a decent alternative presidential candidate and there may not be, but Trump has a good chance of getting re-elected mainly because the D's will figure out a way to screw this one up just like they did in 2016....... and it is pretty much assured Pelosi isn't going to let an impeachment bill get through the House.

If Trump does get elected, I will continue to defend the presidency and the many roles that title confers on men regardless of their competency and as long as they don't do anything proven to be illegal. I'm a good soldier and I know that is difficult for most people to understand.

More on the perception of Donald Trump.

Everyone here has probably heard of, in one description or another, the "illusory truth effect." It's if something is repeated often enough it will become both familiar and because of that familiarity seem logical. There are other factors that contribute to one's brain accepting untruths as facts but this is fundamentally it.

What is going on between the President and his distractors is a game of building facts that aren't actually facts through the illusory truth effect. Both sides are guilty. It's the recognition of this game that is being played between the two sides that probably gets me defensive about assaults byTrump's adversaries on the executive and the potential for that to be damaging to the nation's interests. While Trump is frequently narcissistic and infantile, in the face of the constant harangue he endures from his adversaries and haters, I can see why he seems driven to respond as he does.

Social media exaggerates and amplifies the untruths we are dealing with during this particular presidency - put out there by both sides, neither more grievously than the other, IMO - and the holder of that office encourages the continued harangue in a way that makes most perceive he deserves everything he gets. Anyway, things are not anywhere near as bad as they seem to be if one can grasp the real facts in a sea of illusory truths.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Only a mild exaggeration here

Comment

• DSL, what's your take on Elizabeth Warren?
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• No decision in the big gerrymandering case today but the Court did find against the Virginia House of Delegates, who were opposed to the court drawn redistricting plans. They were found to have no standing.

Interesting breakdown on the opinion. Ginsburg, Karan, Sotomayor agreeing with Gorsuch and Thomas. Trying to read the tea leaves

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                DSL, what's your take on Elizabeth Warren?

Comment

• Supreme Court says double jeopardy doesn't apply for the same charge tried in a fed court and a state court. I thought that was a given. What happened?

The Supreme Court on Monday said a person can be charged and tried in state and federal court for the same conduct without running afoul to the double jeopardy clause of the US Constitution because state and federal governments are separate sovereigns.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Muslim Brotherhood leader and Former President of Egypt Morsi, who was overthrown by the military, suddenly collapsed and died during a court hearing. Wow.

Comment

• I just read several articles from my news feed - some new, some older. Borderline in the Sanders camp but, yeah, she's smart. She's put out 20 or so plans (her, "I've got a plan for that speil") while the rest of the D candidates are just trying to keep up. Not enamored with all of them by any stretch.

I'd put myself almost entirely in the free market capitalism camp, staunchly opposed to redistributive economics/tax policy but I do think there is a new "Gilded Age" to what extent I don't have a good handle on it.....lots of conflicting data regarding wealth accumulation and in whose hands. How best to address that, if it actually exists in some sort of detrimental way to the extent the left keeps harping on, is also controversial. Everyone on the redistributive economics/tax policy side talk about the Nordic Model. It's flawed, IMO. Anyway, was interested in what you thought of her.

Comment

• saying your going to wipe out 50K in school debt is not something smart

claiming to be indian when your not is not smart to get admitted and get special assistiance

then finding out yur 1/256th indian and bragging about it is not smart

her videos on how she drinks beer or whatever --cooking videos etc just seem....forced

and she doesn't have a good political "voice so to speak" lind of fingernails on the chalkboard way of talking.

but she's likely the smartes candidate in the field

Comment

• Speaking of Manafort, he was supposed to be headed to Rikers to await his trial in New York. Then William Barr's top deputy, Jeffrey Rosen, intervened.

The decision came after Attorney General William Barr’s top deputy sent a letter to state prosecutors. Mr. Manafort will now be held in a federal lockup while he faces state charges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                            Speaking of Manafort, he was supposed to be headed to Rikers to await his trial in New York. Then William Barr's top deputy, Jeffrey Rosen, intervened.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/n...rt-rikers.html
                            Man, this one is technical ..... when I graduated from PA school in '98, I had to do a pay-back assignment for a scholarship I received. I did it in the Georgia State Prison System. At the time of my employ (early 1999) there were still remnants of the good old boy operation though federal investigations had found all kinds of abuses by the various wardens. Nothing awful, just wardens making political deals for inmates who had connections, prison work crews remodeling the warden's state furnished house on the prison grounds (and they were nice .... I visited), stuff like that.

By the time I had finished my pay-back service, all of that stuff was gone and a subsequent privatization of Georgia's prison system was well underway. The point is that none of this should be surprising. Political higher-up, in my experience in GA, intervened all the time in high profile inmates (and in my situation usually death row inmates or white collar crooks) regarding which prison they'd be kept at and what level of security they'd be subjected to.

Nothing to see here.

Comment

• I found this interesting ....... Mexican government officials are reaching out to politicians at the US federal level, when those politicians come home from Washington for a visit. Boarder states as well as states who rely on Mexican farm and service industry labor are the targets.

The goal is to blunt the impact of trade and immigration barriers that Trump tries to erect. The hope is that these officials can provide fact based reality on the costs of tariff's and restriction on immigration that will hurt the agricultural and service industries and that these House Reps and Senators will go back to Washington and move to restrain Trump's actions.

It's an interesting grass-roots political tool that I think is perfectly fine. Checks and balances on the executive and all of that.

The link is pay-walled but I recommend you to sign up for the news feeds and avail yourself of some the excellent articles - you get 5/month free.

https://www.economist.com/the-americ.../n/NA/257750/n

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                                saying your going to wipe out 50K in school debt is not something smart
                                Student Loan Debt is the highest debt in the US. It is debt that can't be charged off even if you go through bankruptcy. The burden of college debt at the very least is a huge drag on the national economy. You want a long term boost to the economy? Erase student debt and that will free up a lot of money for those in their prime earning years. That money will get reinvested into the economy with a force multiplier.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X