No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of the people I work around in eastern Ohio are conservative (not all are huge Trump fans, however). I have a brother that lives in the Chicago burbs that I visit a couple times a year. Every time I mention offhand that I'm visiting Chicago I get comments like "Better pack a gun" or "Watch your back". Very few of these people have ever been there and rarely go to even Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Columbus.

it's amazing that a Queens-born son of privilege, who has spent his entire life living among the so-called coastal elites and seeking their approval, would be the one to so successfully tap into Small Town America's simmering resentment towards big cities.

Comment

• I like Columbus and Pittsburgh, never been to Cleveland proper. Closest I have been is the I-X center and a sketchy Howard Johnson's motel near it.

Comment

• Another Republican in House leadership decides to retire. Not really a pickup opportunity for Dems but possibly a sign of R pessimism about 2020.

EDIT: About 40% of the Republicans serving in the House on Trump's Inauguration Day are either already gone or have announced retirements.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...-retire-059814
        Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; October 28, 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          I like Columbus and Pittsburgh, never been to Cleveland proper. Closest I have been is the I-X center and a sketchy Howard Johnson's motel near it.
          It's been years since I've hung out in downtown Cleveland (since I moved to Columbus basically) but the immediate downtown is nice. A lot has been added or improved in the 6 years or so I've been away. Just across the river in Ohio City is the West Side Market and that little area is a great place to hang out or do happy hour. Tremont too though that's more of a hipster isolated pocket

The bad parts of Cleveland that fuel popular perception are generally off to the east or southeast of downtown

Comment

• Yeah, I pretty much know all of the major cities in the Midwest and Ohio in general because of the Irish Dance circuit. Cleveland's main competition is held on the Memorial Day weekend and that is not going to happen. Its probably the only major city other than St. Louis we haven't gotten to.

Comment

• Here's an interesting, but short, article on Soviet/Russian election interference.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• House is holding a formal vote Thursday to authorize impeachment hearings, taking away the main talking point Republicans have been pushing

The House is moving toward the next phase of its impeachment inquiry, setting up a vote later this week on procedures that could quickly lead to President Donald Trump becoming the third president in US history to be impeached.

Comment

• A pretty good example showing Republicans were never making a good faith argument about holding a vote

EH_1Zl7X4AgPHfi?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

EH_1Zl6XYAASpKe?format=jpg&name=360x360.jpg

Comment

• The state legislature maps were already tossed out...now a North Carolina court has declared the congressional maps to be in violation of the State Constitution

Big win for Dems. Republicans currently control 10 of 13 seats in a state that's a lot closer to 50-50.. If the new maps are drawn by an impartial 3rd party of the court itself, it's not hard to see the Dems picking up seats like they did in PA.

Comment

• Chief Justice Roberts continues to be vindicated. Of course, in Maryland the Ds control everything so no court will be tossing out their districts.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                        Chief Justice Roberts continues to be vindicated. Of course, in Maryland the Ds control everything so no court will be tossing out their districts.
                        Maybe the Maryland Republican Party should give it a try and see what happens?

Comment

• Comment

• Oh and that guy's a decorated Iraq war vet who was awarded a Purple Heart.

Republicans will nonetheless declare him Satanic Leftist Unhinged Never Trumper scum

EDIT: This isn't the whistle-blower (who never heard the Ukraine call) but this seems like a solid candidate for one of the people who may have passed information on to that individual
                            Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; October 28, 2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• "Satanic Leftist Unhinged Never Trumper scum". I like that. Maybe I'll change my business card.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Murray Energy, the nation's largest private coal company, declares bankruptcy. Big blow to SE Ohio and West Virginia

Comment

Working...
                                X