No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible 1300 year old chess piece found.

The 1,300-year-old game piece, which resembles a rook, or castle, was found at an Early Islamic trading outpost.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Cool article.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• America, bitches. Lots to be thankful for: https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...e-to-be-alive/

My favorite line is borrowed from George Will:

There are 357 million Americans; 350 million of them did not watch cable news or listen to talk radio yesterday.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• There are 357 million Americans; 350 million of them did not watch cable news or listen to talk radio yesterday
          Rubbish.

MSNBC and CNN would claim that 350 million watched them yesterday, and the other 7 million wanted to.
          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Even 2 out of 3 Fox & Friends hosts seem skeptical about the WAR ON THANKSGIVING that Fox and Trump are giving a trial run.

The network has aired round-the-clock coverage of liberals’ supposed “War on Thanksgiving,” something that was not mentioned during Wednesday’s “Fox & Friends.”

Comment

• I think he watched SNL and saw their Thanksgiving skit and decided it was an attack.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The boomers will buy into that, it's probably a good campaign strategy.

Comment

• heh
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• There's a view from enlisted ranks ranks on Ghallager - usually anti-officer and not the disrespectful kind it's just that many see their motives as less than of the highest order. Unit, country > self and all that.

The officer corps in all the services has its bad apples but by-in-large these are dedicated service members that by the time they reach the field grade ranks they've been heavily schooled on ethics in the conduct of war fighting. It's very important, in Ghallager's circumstance, to separate criminality from unethical behavior.

One of the things I've been reading about Admiral Green, the head of Naval Special Forces Command, is that since earlier episodes of SEAL's bad behaviors, he was supporting a campaign within Special Forces to have service members designated as such to clean up their personal and service related behavior. Improve their professionalism.

The services engaged in actual combat operations are constantly faced with the challenge of conducting themselves in an ethical manner. Since successful war fighting involves killing the enemy baseline ethical conduct becomes questionable if it's not carried out in a manner that the public will generally consider acceptable. There is a difference between a mercenary or an assassin who kills for personal gain or pleasure and uniformed personnel carrying out a combat operation during which enemy combatants are killed to achieve an appropriate military objective.

In that context, given what we know about Gahallager's conduct, was he acting appropriately? My take is that he wasn't. Not even close. Superiors, like they have in every war the US has fought in, have had to deal with soldiers acting unethically in combat. This case of ethical misconduct, IMO, isn't anything new. Admiral Green's approach to Ghallager's conduct is nothing new nor is it inappropriate. Most people know about situations in WWII and Vietnam where terrible acts were committed, such acts being beyond the prosecution of any military objective. Remember My Lai and Lieutenant William Calley? His behavior and that of his subordinates who raped, killed and mutilated 100s of Vietnamese civilians were thousands of time worse and greater in scope than what Gallagher did but degree is unimportant here just like it is in the Ten Commandments. Sin is sin. Unethical conduct is unethical conduct regardless of degree.

Gahllager and the people around him have tried to cast his conduct in ways that make it sound heroic. It isn't. They've also been dismissive or expect us to be forgiving of it. We shouldn't. That soldiers around him, particularly his seniors who are tasked with holding soldiers who act unethically in battle accountable, are being criticized by Ghallager, his people and the media that is being used to do that sickens me. That Trump praises Ghallager is misguided at best, horrendously un-presidential and unethical at worst.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Just Trump being Trump...
                        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Unethical conduct is one thing, and yes, I agree its wrong. But did it rise to the level of changing his lifetime residence to Leavenworth? Absolutely not.

Gallagher was charged with several crimes, all except one of which was committed by another person. Gallagher's pre-trial imprisonment without bail was unfair, and debatably unethical treatment by the prosecution. How he was imprisoned was unethical, with restricted or no access to his attorney or his family. Trump intervened and got that changed. And it was the right thing to do. The Navy had already decided that Gallagher was guilty before the first gavel was banged. However, when their own judges weighed the evidence, they found they could not convict him of the most serious charges. I'd argue that this in itself was unethical treatment.

Anyway, I'll back out of this discussion. I just think Chief Gallagher deserves to keep his Trident, his rate and rank, and all of his pension and benefits. He's been adequately punished for the wrongs that he did participate in. Its time for the Navy to leave him alone. They have bigger fish to fry.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• IG Report is expected to say that there is NO evidence that the FBI had an informant inside the Trump campaign or attempted to plant an undercover agent there

Comment

• It sounds like Michael Horowitz may have to update his resume and face accusations of being a never-Trumper deep state operative.

Comment

• The Liar in Chief is disavowing Rudolph the Brown Nosed Lawyer.

President Donald Trump has now denied that he directed his personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani to go to Ukraine and seek out investigations on his behalf, contradicting his own words to the Ukrainian President in the White House-released transcript of the July 25 call.
                                “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
                                X