Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    ....I think a lot of it just has to do with employers not being willing to train people anymore and they think that by hiring college grads they're bringing in someone that is already 'trained" so to speak.

The company I work for had a 4 year degree (minimum) requirement for employment. The rationale was to put a floor on education requirements and open the (new grad) employment door to those who have demonstrated work ethic and perseverance to complete long and expensive goals. The result was there weren't many airheads slipping in.

Well, that policy stopped when the company was bought by an even larger corporate entity. The downside is that we see a lot more turnover and new people hired into positions they aren't equipped to handle. (Penny wise pound foolish hiring.) The upside is more short term eye candy.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

It wasn't going to end any other way. The dude is a baby.
      Nope, I believe he is certifiably a dysfunctional narcissist according to the DSM-5 (the tougher standard). This kind of behavior - walking out because his peers flamed him - shows the necessary dysfunctionality required for the diagnosis.

The D's are beating around the bush with the Ukrain shit but who among them is gonna stand up or arrange someone to stand up and certify that?
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'll leave the medical diagnosis to you, but his handlers talk about him like he's a toddler constantly.

Comment

• We have had this talk before. I find value in many of the electives: Geography, History, Art, Music, Literature, and maybe one or two others, but I see a place for strictly vocational training in cases, too, and that could be started in HS. But it concerns me because right now we have a decent amount of the population that can't identify the US on a map, who think Paris is a country and can't name 3 Asian countries. People who don't know who we fought in the Revolutionary War, when it was, or who won. People who don't know what the three branches of government are, that Alexander Hamilton was a real person and not some fictional character created by Lin-Manuel Miranda (I could go on), but is a purpose of that 4-year degree to help make a well-rounded and educated individual along with preparing them for a job? Does society as well as the individual benefit from that knowledge? I tend to think the answer is yes. YMMV.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            We have had this talk before. I find value in many of the electives: Geography, History, Art, Music, Literature, and maybe one or two others, but I see a place for strictly vocational training in cases, too, and that could be started in HS. But it concerns me because right now we have a decent amount of the population that can't identify the US on a map, who think Paris is a country and can't name 3 Asian countries. People who don't know who we fought in the Revolutionary War, when it was, or who won. People who don't know what the three branches of government are, that Alexander Hamilton was a real person and not some fictional character created by Lin-Manuel Miranda (I could go on), but is a purpose of that 4-year degree to help make a well-rounded and educated individual along with preparing them for a job? Does society as well as the individual benefit from that knowledge? I tend to think the answer is yes. YMMV.
            Right, agree with all that. And a well-rounded person is more adaptable and able to change careers more easily should they face that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post

The company I work for had a 4 year degree (minimum) requirement for employment. The rationale was to put a floor on education requirements and open the (new grad) employment door to those who have demonstrated work ethic and perseverance to complete long and expensive goals. The result was there weren't many airheads slipping in.
              So THAT'S why I never got an interview ....

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Damn, the Judiciary Committee is way too friggin big

Comment

• BTW for anyone interested here's a long list of the colleges that've closed just since 2016. Most are schools you'll have never heard of unless you're from the area but there's a couple I recognize...like Green Mountain College and St. Joseph's in Indiana. Those had been around for over a century. Heck, according to this the Bears held their training camp at St. Joseph's for decades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...llege_(Indiana)

Comment

• They remembered us this year!! How thoughtful!!

North Korea will send a “Christmas gift” to the United States, but what that present contains will depend on the outcome of ongoing talks between Washington and Pyongyang, a top official has warned.

Comment

• Trump may add 14,000 more troops to the Middle East as soon as this month to counter Iran, report says

Comment

• Yeah it wasn't a shock when Marygrove closed in Detroit. They cut out the undergrad degrees and tried to make it as a solely graduate program.

Comment

• I saw where Stanford Law Professor Pamela Karlan used Barron Trump's name as a joke to make a point during the impeachment hearings today. Chuckles rippled thru the room as she said it.

I think its particularly sad to make a joke about Barron Trump, because when I've seen the boy in public, he seems to show a lot of signs of being autistic. We have an autistic child in our family, and its no joke. Its a real problem, and its something he has to deal with every day.

Professor Karlan later apologized in a backhanded way, saying that although she was apologizing for bringing up the younger Trump, she feels that the President 'needs to apologize for the things he's done".

Ok professor. We get it. Its okay for you to joke about his son because "Trump is bad".

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Comment

• Trump's lord and master has another refugee/critic murdered, Germany expels 2 diplomats. The Orange Traitor will continue not to criticize his political benefactor and beloved patron.

The German government expelled two Russian diplomats Wednesday after officials said they found "real indications" that authorities in Moscow were responsible for the killing of a Chechen exile several weeks ago.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Liberals love making fun of people, but if a Conservative did it - He/She Black or White - Is a raciest (for sure) , sexist, homophob, transphob, deplorable , Russsian, Nazi! And a few other things. ^ Jon right on Q

Comment

Working...
                                X