Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    I completely disagree with Jeff when he says there would have been too much pressure on McConnell to resist if only the Dems had rushed this through really quickly (tons of people on Fox are already saying the Dems have moved too fast). It would have been much easier, IMO, for McConnell to toss Articles of Impeachment in the trash if it had been some lightweight emolument thing or an extremely rushed indictment written in 3 days with no interviews.

Watergate and Whitewater lasted for years. I mean, Clinton entered office with the Whitewater allegations hovering over him and spent the entire 1994 to 1999 period dealing with its fallout. People only remember what it became at the end, when it trans-morphed into a sex scandal and the meaning of the word "is".
    Its crazy, try getting a Foxbot to explain what Whitewater was. Its funny how small potatoes the whole "scandal" was, a conviction in search of a case.

Comment

• Politico's done a count and they think there will be only 2 Dems tomorrow to vote no: Van Drew (who's leaving the party anyways) and possibly Colin Peterson (MN-7) who represents almost all of western Minnesota. Although Peterson is still an unknown.

Jared Golden (ME-2) just announced he will back the first Article but not the 2nd. Possibly the only member splitting his vote.

Comment

• DSL, Froot ...... I'll concede that the Senate (the Turtle) may have been able to dismiss articles of impeachment based on violations of the Emoluments Clause pretty easily. I'll also concede that the longer the time frame that Trump is not held to account, the worse his constitutional transgressions appear to be.

But whose fault is that? IMO, it's the Congress failing in it's duties as a counterweight to an out of control Chief Executive..... and there are many levels to that failure to act.

This take gets us right back to my point. There was a time where the Congress should have stood up and said enough is enough. Where that time was is hard to pin-point. It's clear to me that now impeaching Trump and actually removing him from office is probably a lost cause. That's manly because it's taken to long and the public is tired of it. IMO, the Congress has tended to default to the position that impeachment requires a strictly legal basis ...... in the eyes of the Founders, at least as I interpret their writings, it does not. If the likes of Jackson, Hamilton, et. al. were around today, I believe they would run Trump out of the presidency in a heart beat. They'd do that on the basis that as a result of his personal behavior, his untoward relationships with foreign governments, most notably the Russians, and the absolutely clear case that can be made he has used his office to benefit his personal business interests (Emoluments), he is unfit to hold the office of President.

They wouldn't have needed lawyers to do that. They wouldn't have relied on the courts. They would have relied on the political process, not a legal process to impeach and remove and, if I've got it right even in today's political climate, would have carried the day because the public would have demanded it. Unfortunately, as I have already remarked, the Congress lacks the kind of leadership present in even the not to distant past, and certainly compared to the time of the Founders, to kick some ass.
        Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 17, 2019, 06:43 PM.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The Congress is full of many Trumpboys, you can't ever expect them to hold him to account. 3 years ago he humiliated Ted Cruz by making fun of his wife, now Cruz is Trump's biggest fan. I mean has anyone read the Access Hollywood transcript? His presidency is an indictment of the people. Every fucking day.

Comment

• Trump says he disagrees with Congress, refuses to recognize the Armenian Genoicde.

This all occurs amid heightened tensions between the US and Turkey over the latter's invasion of Syria and purchase of a Russian missile system.

Comment

• Oh and meanwhile, Turkey is allowing Hamas to plot attacks on Israel from its soil. As Erdogan meets with with the head of Hamas.

Turkey is allowing senior Hamas operatives to plot attacks against Israel from Istanbul, The Telegraph can disclose, as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan plays host to the terrorist group’s leaders.

Comment

• Last edited by Hannibal; December 17, 2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Ooh, Talent really like your post, Hanni. He loves that the Republicans no longer have a sense of shame, just like you do.

Seems like a good time to start exploring your theories of racial supriority and how non-whites are inferior to your beloved white folk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Ooh, Talent really like your post, Hanni. He loves that the Republicans no longer have a sense of shame, just like you do.

Seems like a good time to start exploring your theories of racial supriority and how non-whites are inferior to your beloved white folk.
                    Yep

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Whatever. Hanni is this board's biggest racist and you reserve a rare "like" for his dumb shit. Furthermore, you fucking know it. Go on, if you're not afraid to confront him, ask him whether he believes white people are genetically superior intellectually to black and Hispanic folks. He'll tell you "yes". You even acknowledged this earlier when you joked about his "demographics is destiny" bullshit.

You actually know Trump's done wrong but you're so far committed to Hanni's side of the culture war you're far more on Trumps side at this point.

Comment

Comment

• Ok. Cool. Put Hanni's overt racism aside, what was it about his post, gleefully joyous that Republicans won't admit a single thing Trump did was wrong, that you particularly support?

Because I know you don't actually believe that. You know Trump did some shitty things here. You might not think them impeachable but no, you don't think blackmailing a foreign country for legitimate OR illegitimate dirt on a political opponent is a commendable exercise.

Comment

Comment

• Sorry, man. Apologize. I just heard about Hayden Fry and I'm not in the mood to argue any more. Just sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X