Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Post reporting we killed him now too

Comment

• I really don't know what to think. I hope though that the Embassy in Baghdad is prepared.

This is a good thread that I hope is not overstating things. But Yashar thinks killing Soleimani (if confirmed) will be regarded as a bigger deal in Iran than if we had killed their President. Soleimani was extremely close to Iran's "Supreme Leader" and was more responsible than probably anyone else for their terror network.

He WAS a terrorist, plain and simple, and good riddance. But Yashar says this isn't like killing Bin Laden. This was the assassination of someone who was essentially a political leader of another country. He thinks Iran will regard this as if another country assassinated Pence, openly took credit, and then dared us to do anything about it.

Comment

• This is simply Iran trying to initiate the Iraqi end game. Iraq is not too far off from being a failed state. We torch some Iranian bad guys and there are violent protests against the US with the Iraqi gov't standing idly by. In fact, condemning the strike with many political leaders suggesting its time for us to go. Having Iraq kick us out is what Iran wants - it severely weakens our already diminished influence in the ME.

Iran will stir things up trying to provoke a conflict within Iraq. If Iraq devolves into (another) civil war, Iran wins. There is nothing the US can do beyond the air strike game which only loses the hearts and souls. Putin's cock holster is being manipulated militarily by militias and economically by the EU and SAEC as they skirt US sanctions coming from our withdrawl of the nuke treaty. Iran is betting that the collapse of Iraq will leave only Saudi Arabia as the only other regional power. There's enough dissension and tyranny within SA that Iran knows it can cause serious problems there internally despite the cozy US relationship.

Iran would like nothing better than the ME in flames so it can control through proxies. President Dumbass is playing right into Iran's hands.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• I knew killing the worst terrorist in the world was a bad thing. Just knew it.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I'm not saying that scumbag didn't belatedly receive his just desserts. I'm pointing out we're being baited toward the political goals of Iran. We pound our chest tactically and Iran smiles strategically. President Dumbass has to let his generals and advisors think and plan deeply, not just stand around waiting for the order to shoot a missile.
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The bear got poked and the bear responded ..... asymmetrically.

I believe that targeted killings of military leadership, and I use the term military broadly in Iran's case because Iran's Qods Force is as close to a terrorist organization being legitimized by wearing uniforms that you can get. I'm for it and the impact and obvious message sent by the US in killing this guy is significant.

Clearly the Iranians are contemplating their response. I would not doubt that we may see an attempt at what will be determined to be a terrorist attack against US interests in the gulf region. It could be a targeted killing of an American or an attack on a high value, high visibility hard US target. The capacity of the Iranians to launch a significant drone attack against Saudi oilfields should alert the public that the Iranians are fully capable of responding.

It's a clear escalation on the part of the US who, one would think, knows the risks and has calculated what the Iranian response might be.

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I'm seeing a lot of reporters claiming this could end up being the most significant act taken in the Middle East since the invasion of Iraq in 2003. I have a hard time believing Iran does close to nothing in response.

I'm just wondering if they target us or if they target Israel or if they have the capability to attack civilians in the US itself.

Comment

• Well Jeff, I hope you're right. If the message to Iran's leadership is "you're next if you don't stop", that's a pretty strong one and not one I totally disagree with. (But do we really want to make leadership assassination a foreign policy tool?) I hope its not simply a US action intended to provoke a wider conflict to pander to you-know-who's ego.

Comment

• Qassim Soleimani of Iran was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region.

ENUwg7tVAAEPUjq?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Comment

• If Soleimani was in fact "actively developing plans to attack American..." then huzzah for us good guys.

However, given Trump's track record of 99% of his statements being falsehoods, there is reasonable doubt here where there should be none.

Comment

• Lindsey Graham is talking about how our people in Iraq and everywhere in the Middle East need to be prepared for a major retaliation.

According to the NBC Tehran bureau chief, State TV in Iran has ended all regular broadcasts and is just showing footage and pictures of Soleimani on a loop, accompanied with prayers.

Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Heh.

Comment

• Qasem Soleimani, commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps Quds Force unit, and Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, deputy head of the Iran-backed Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces "were martyred by an American strike" according to the PMF official statement.

Your 72 virgins are arriving.

nuns.JPG

Comment

• Well, yeah, it could be as significant an event as the US invasion of Iraq. It also opens a new approach to dealing with Islamic states of any stripe that want to attack US soil, in this case the US Embassy in Iraq. It's different than finally finding and killing OBL in that this is a killing of sovereign state's military commander not the head of a non-state actor.

Under the rules of war killing this dude was entirely legal. He's a military commander who developed and ordered the execution of a thinly disguised military operation intended to look like a civilian mob carrying out protests. Enough of that bull shit. You just got exposed. I suspect the leadership of western nations will, behind the scenes, support the US operation in defense of and retribution for an Iranian attack on US soil.
                                There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X