No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As everyone tries to jump into the streaming business and isolate their own productions, it will be interesting to see who wins and who loses. Most people will not pay for 10 different streaming services. Either consolidation will happen or some will opt out.

I used to have this vision 5-10 yrs ago that the future would be selecting the channels you wanted and paying just for that content. It is clear that won't happen and we will be chosing between what we really want to watch and what we can skip.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• First it was an imminent threat, then it was because a contractor was killed, now its for past bad behavior. I suppose any of those are good reasons for killing Soleimani, but Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ, tell us the freakin' TRUTH the FIRST time you open your Trump sucking mouth. As an American citizen, I demand and expect that elected officials tell the citizenry the truth. Every time. I don't give a rat's ass what your message is, what false reality you're trying to create or what bullshit you're trying to peddle. TELL THE EFFIN TRUTH AND PEOPLE WILL SUPPORT YOU WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT. Pretty simple really. Stop licking your finger to gauge which way Trump is breaking wind.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

My previous comment about Disney stock price was not intended to show whether their acquisition of LucasArts was either good or bad. It was to show that Disney using stock in lieu of cash was not some sort of master stroke that reduced the price of the acquisition. if anything, it made it worse because they gave up a portion of the claims to future profits on Marvel, The Lion King, Frozen, etc, in exchange for cash. For the past seven years, investors have valued the former much greater than the latter.

Disney's stock climbed significantly before they ever saw a dime of revenue from any of the new movies. I don't think that any movement in the stock should be interpreted as a judgement of whether that move has been extremely profitable for them. I have little doubt that investors saw it at the time as a good move, but that was also before anyone knew that Kathleen Kennedy was the movie producer version of Rich Rodriguez burning the Michigan football program to the ground. But meanwhile, the Marvel Universe has exploded in popularity and Disney's live action remakes of 90s animated films have been massive hits. Last year alone they had six movies (not Rise of Skywalker) gross over a billion dollars. The last two Avengers movies by themselves have grossed close to five billion. Their epic fuckups with the Star Wars franchise are being subsidized by comic book movies and nostalgia for their 90s animated hits.
        One thing to remember when comparing something like the Avengers to Star Wars, is Star Wars is not as big a draw globally for whatever reason and it didn't start with Disney.

The buying of the Lucasfilm was a masterstroke. If the performance of Disney's stewardship was bad the price of the stock would have went down. It has tripled instead, I was working on the Disney account back when they bought Lucasfilm and then announced the Marvel cinematic universe. Disney has so dominated the box office with both of those entities people forget some of the shit they were going through. They had two gigantic bombs that sent ripples through the company, John Carter and the Lone Ranger. They bombed so hard that it sent budget cuts to unrelated projects. I have firsthand knowledge on that. If you could buy an existing piece of property that can make 5-6 billion dollars in revenue over 5 films that is well worth the price. Disney will continue to make money on the property well into the future as they do with everything else they have.

It was a masterstroke because it was a property sitting moribund at the time. You can bet any of the other studios would have loved to have that property, they might have even made a better go of it. As it is it was a layup of an acquisition because they were guaranteed to make money and they have, and they will own the property for a long time.

What you are mad about is you don't like the films. They are offensive to you. As bad as you think they are, they were well worth the price to Disney.
        Last edited by froot loops; January 7, 2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post

I'm more likely to put stock (pun intended) into Buffet's economic opinions than AOC's.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• From ABC.... Australian fires overlayed onto the United States
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Dammit, Wiz. You and your creepy hobbies

Comment

• CNN settles with Covington kid. Sadly, terms are confidential.
                Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Fox's Pentagon reporter being told that our bases all around Iraq are being hit by short range ballistic missiles or cruise missiles. Being fired from Iran.

Comment

• explosion nothing to see here GIF

Uh oh.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• WH telling media that Trump will be speaking from the Oval office soon

Comment

• Iranian state media could be bullshitting to make themselves look tougher to the Irnaian people, but they are claiming a second round is already under way. This time Iranian fighter jets have taken off.

Hezbollah issuing threats that they will immediately start launching missiles into Israel if we retaliate.

Hard to know what to take seriously. Let's remember Baghdad Bob and his declarations the Americans were wiped out right up to the moment a soldiers walked up to his house and arrested him.

Comment

• This will not end well for Iran.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• WH now saying that Trump will NOT address the nation tonight

I'll choose to take that as a good sign.

Comment

• Although the FAA just issued an alert for all commercial flights to stay away from Persian Gulf airspace

Comment

Working...
                              X