Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      I'll wait for Iran to weigh in. Obviously, they're more trustworthy than PDJT's people.
      Iran reviewed the records and says they hit about 17 stealth bombers around that time but nope, no airliners

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Really? The general consensus amongst whom?
        ....... among those editors and or opinion piece articles I've read within the last 48h. Sorry, I should have said that. I usually link to articles or opinion pieces that offer insight but I was in a hurry this morning.

I have BBC and Reuters news feeds among others but the stories in these two feeds tend to be brief, concise and to the point. The BBC reviews a lot of history of an event they are writing about for their predominantly UK consumers of news that, they might assume, don't follow events outside their country closely. Even for me, it ties things that happen over time together. From the Reuters feed, I get the Al Jazeera stories with an Arab take. Good stuff overall.

The "consensus" I spoke of was from three stories. All of them from different perspectives. One of the best stories among these was a 6.5 minute video of an interview of a ME academic who is an expert on Iran. The stuff about Iran doing a very good job of mobilizing support, both political and military, for their anti-American policies came from this guy. Of course, it resonated. I should have linked the piece ..... too hard to find given the time I have today to do that (long story).
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Stock market keeps going strong. Unemployment keeps low. Iran brought to heel. Things could be worse.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• ...but the gas stations around here are still taking advantage of the imminent war with Iran hysteria. Prices jumped right after the US hit the Iranian dude.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• The evidence looks strong that the Ukranian 737 that took off from Tehran around 6am local time was shot down accidentally by Iranian Air Defense killing all on board - noteworthy that the air defense network that defends key locations inside Iran is outside the control of the IRG. Nonetheless it is a blunder with huge international implications for the Mullahs in charge. Not only did the Iranian's pussy out in response to the killing of Soleimani - a figure akin to the US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs - looking weak in the process but now they look militarily incompetent.

Look, there's a history of fuck-ups like this. The US Guided Missile Cruiser, Vincenes, shot down an Iranian commercial aircraft over the Gulf. The Russians have done it twice and the Ukranians did it once. All the shoot downs occurred in a hot-war situation. It sucks for the innocent victims of utter incompetence at both the operational level, the guys working the controls and command levels, the commander that ordered the missile launch.

The Iranians have denied involvement claiming it is technically impossible but it's getting increasingly difficult for them to do so given the evidence at hand some of it coming from the US who have stated publicly that they observed radar signals come-up, then guidance signals all coincidental with the IR signature of two launches at the same time the 737 crashed.

With respect to the Iranian claim that the shoot down was "technically impossible," no it's not. It can happen. What it requires in step wise fashion is the weapons system used experienced an IFF system error either human or electronic - that is, the 737 aircraft was improperly identified as a foe instead of a friendly (Identification, Friend or Foe = IFF). There's usually a command level decision in the weapons system's control vans to hand off the target detected by early warning radars to target tracking radars. The electronic and voice/data transmissions associated with that process are unique and specific to weapon systems and associated command and control.

The target tracking radar locks on the target and produces a 3-D location of it and then predicts its future position. At this point with the target identified as a foe and the tracking radar locked on, another data signal comes up that activates the guidance connection to the missiles on the rails to be launched. At this point another command decision to launch is made and that data signal comes up and soon after, the missile(s) launch (there were two of them in this scenario). After launch the guidance signals change to different frequencies and characteristics (you can tell, then, when the missiles are off the launcher and headed to the target. Finally, in the terminal guidance phase, either the missile's internal system guides the missile to the target or another platform does it. I think the Russian SA-15 - not a particularly new or technically advanced SAM - has internal guidance either IR or doppler. Not sure.

US airborne and overhead reconnaissance platforms were listening and reported this to Canadian counterparts. This is SIGINT and COMMINT at it's best.

The Iranians are fucked.

Now watch the US press figure out ways to blame Trump and the Iranians work that angle ferociously and probably successfully.
              There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Now watch the US press figure out ways to blame Trump and the Iranians work that angle ferociously and probably successfully.
                Exactly. Its so predictable, I could write it for them. They'll blame Trump for 'instigating the situation that got all this started". "Those people on the Ukranian airliner would still be alive if Trump had not started all this". Someone will say it.

The Canadians should pissed more than anyone right now. Even Russian weapon technology has the ability to determine the configuration of the target(s) they are aiming at. They can tell if its a military configuration, or a commercial airliner. Even I can tell the difference between an F-22 and a Boeing 737. They knew what they were doing, and they knew what they were shooting at. The "press" should be focusing on that, but they won't. They're too scared of Iran.
                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Exactly. Its so predictable, I could write it for them. They'll blame Trump for 'instigating the situation that got all this started". "Those people on the Ukranian airliner would still be alive if Trump had not started all this". Someone will say it.

The Canadians should pissed more than anyone right now. Even Russian weapon technology has the ability to determine the configuration of the target(s) they are aiming at. They can tell if its a military configuration, or a commercial airliner. Even I can tell the difference between an F-22 and a Boeing 737. They knew what they were doing, and they knew what they were shooting at. The "press" should be focusing on that, but they won't. They're too scared of Iran.
                  It's why I argue we no longer have a free press in this country.

Comment

• Now watch the US press figure out ways to blame Trump and the Iranians work that angle ferociously and probably successfully.
                    The magic word is "crossfire" -- these passengers were killed in the crossfire -- of an escalation provoked by PDJT and therefore he's to blame.

I wish I was making that up. For now, it's limited to the far left with Iman making a oblique references to the effect of "when you escalate war, women and children die" or something like that. But, she's insane.

Comment

• And what's the pro-Trump, "conservative" flip side of that going to be? Why it's a revival of 2003 Iraq garbage rhetoric. If you dare express publicly any doubts or questions regarding this administration's wisdom, you are aiding and abetting the enemy! You are emboldening them! Furthermore, like Doug Collins said, it just shows that Trump's critics love terrorism. Mike Lee and Rand Paul essentially got told this in their 'briefing' and it's what pissed them off.

It will be a lot less effective this time because 9/11 is no longer fresh in the minds of people and even a significant portion of MAGAworld is legitimately tired of Mideast wars.

Comment

• USA Today poll that came out yesterday:

Only 24% said the US is safer thanks to Trump killing Soleimani. 55% said less safe. A full 1/3 of Republicans said "less safe"

69% of those polled they think it's now MORE likely that we will be attacked in the Middle East.

By a 52-34% margin those polled think Trump acted recklessly.

Comment

• I am tired of the ME, but I see no reason to put boots on the ground. Just bomb and missile launch the shit out of them a la Clinton with the Serbs/Yugoslavia. Khamenei can be brought down that way just like Milosevic.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• And what's the pro-Trump, "conservative" flip side of that going to be? Why it's a revival of 2003 Iraq garbage rhetoric. If you dare express publicly any doubts or questions regarding this administration's wisdom, you are aiding and abetting the enemy! You are emboldening them! Furthermore, like Doug Collins said, it just shows that Trump's critics love terrorism. Mike Lee and Rand Paul essentially got told this in their 'briefing' and it's what pissed them off.

It will be a lot less effective this time because 9/11 is no longer fresh in the minds of people and even a significant portion of MAGAworld is legitimately tired of Mideast wars.
                            It's one thing, I think, to call into question the decision to kill the terrorist. Now, as it turns out, it seems like the CIA director laid it out for PDJT. She told him that Iran's most likely response would be a missile attack on an Iraqi base. She told him that Soleimani, in her opinions, is more of threat to US lives than the most likely Iranian response. If you believe the NYT article on it.

It's quite another thing to buy into Iranian propaganda from the number of US killed to the "national outpouring" of grief. It's quite another thing to jump off the fucking deep end into WW3 rhetoric. It's quite another to side with Iran as the aggrieved.

The PDJT is responsible for the commercial airliner nonsense is so nonsensical that only a few have latched onto it. The things I described in my 2nd paragraph basically describe D/media response.

We more or less live in a binary world -- did PDJT do it? If so, then YAY! or if so then BOOO! In a number of cases, the YAY!!! crowd looks like idiots because the necessarily drift into borderline indefensible areas. In this particularly case, the BOOO!!! crowd was the one that, by and large, drifted into what I consider indefensible areas.

I'm sure you disagree.

Comment

• I am tired of the ME, but I see no reason to put boots on the ground. Just bomb and missile launch the shit out of them a la Clinton with the Serbs/Yugoslavia. Khamenei can be brought down that way just like Milosevic.
                              But, but, but....IRAN IS SOOOOOOO DANGEROUS!!!!

Comment

• USA Today poll that came out yesterday:
                                It'll be interesting to see what Americans think when they see that PDJT backed those pussies down and they did nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X