Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
    So, the question now is whether or not Mayor Pete and/or Kluber have the infrastructure to go the distance. They obviously can make it to Super Tuesday, and perhaps with a good showing in the next month they can rally to go the distance.

Bernie obviously can go the distance.

The other question is the Mini-Mike Effect. Ordinarily, Kluber would be eating one attack after another at the next debate, but methinks Bloomberg may catch some hell.

In any event, DSL is starting to make his peace with becoming a BERNIE BRO!!!
    Mayor Mike is going to be THE top target at the next debate methinks. And he handles criticism about as well as Trump.

Comment

• One piece of small good news for the Dems is that turnout was up significantly from 2016 and seems like it'll top 2008 levels in the end. Contrast to Iowa
      Yeah, actually think both are a measure of where the states are. There are gads more registered Ds and Is in NH in 2020 than there were in 2008. It's definitely a bluish state. And Iowa, of course, is definitely more of a reddish state than it was in 2008.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• On the Republican side there was an actual effort made to turn out Never Trump votes. Even with over 100,000 abject losers voting for him, he only wound up with 85-86%. SAD!

Probably why he's bitching this morning about how the networks aren't covering his "record-setting vote totals".
        WHAT IS IT ABOUT 95% APPROVAL THAT NEW HAMPSHIRE DOESN"T UNDERSTAND?!

Comment

• Yeah, another terrible night for the Rs.

Comment

• Meanwhile, in Illinois, Progressive Hero, Jussie Smollet is finally indicted by a special prosecutor.

Hard to believe that was just a year ago. The contemporaneous tweets from the Progressives are even more superb today than a year ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
              Yeah, another terrible night for the Rs.
              Heh heh

But this is why Trump was pressuring states to outright cancel their Republican primaries. Getting anything less than 95% could spark a tantrum. A sign of disrespect.

Comment

• TBF, mgoboard posters think Tucker may be a better recruiter than I posted I thought he might be. Apparently has mid-west ties but to what degree and effect, there's no supporting data in any of those posts.

Also of note: a respectable take at mgoboard that MSU may be facing the same sort of skull-duggery issues that M faced with Carr and his large contingent of admirers not supporting the RR hire. MD is still involved, was pissed that his AD hired a search firm behind his back and wanted to coach the 2020 season, retire with honors and name his successor - supposedly Tressel.

Looking for Fruit's take on this.
                Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I saw an estimate today that by Super Tuesday 38% of the delegates will be allocated. I think even Warren and Biden will stay in till then, throw in Bloomberg, and the chances of a contested convention are getting very real. And what happens if Sanders has the most delegates but the other candidates basically put up a united front and converge around just one person? Will his voters accept it or sit home in greater numbers than 2016?

Also, heh, we joked about it but it turned out to be true that NH would declare a winner before Iowa did.
                  Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 12, 2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• I think a contested DNC is going to be both educational and entertaining.

Totally off the current discussion involving this election season's D candidates but, I watched a very interesting and thought provoking PBS Documentary on the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party and the disruption they caused at the 1964 DNC - that disruption having long term consequences for the Democratic Party and LBJ that went well into his second term as president.

I was 16 in '64, lived in Michigan and was more interested in cars than the Civil Rights Movement of that time. I remember my girlfriend's father, a GM executive (we lived in a very white suburb of Detroit - Birmingham), keeping a shotgun by his front door while the Detroit Race Riots were underway. I could have cared less,

Anyway, I can now properly despise the state of Mississippi. It is shocking what went on during that segregationist time and I'm embarrassed I was so completely uninformed and uninvolved in the injustice of it. To get my dates and times correct I looked at Wiki's history of the MFD Party here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missis...mocratic_Party

Worth a read for those of you under 50. If you have the time, go to the PBS web site and find this documentary. Watch it.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Interesting that the last brokered conventions for both parties were in 1952. It's weird to think now that Eisenhower wasn't the clear choice for Republicans but the conservative wing was overwhelmingly in favor of Ohio's own Bob Taft, who was an isolationist throwback. The moderate and liberal wings mainly supported Eisenhower.

The last time the Republicans really came close to having another one was 1976 but Ford dodged it at the last minute, denying Reagan.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; February 12, 2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• The bad news continues for PDJT in the latest Gallup poll (https://news.gallup.com/poll/285593/...sam&stream=top).

In the better off/worse off/same question, it's only 61-36-3. And only 60% with Independents.

Is it easier for you to buy things in stores: Only 52-36 in favor of yes.

And finally, 37% say PDJT gets a great deal of credit for the economy (obviously, his base) and 25% say he gets a fair mount of credit for the economy (obviously, not his base). 19% say not much credit and 18% so none at all.

So, 61% are better off and 62% give PDJT at least a fair amount of credit for that circumstance.

Of course, these numbers are 9 months out and that's an eternity and, what's more, PDJT probably needs to be in the 70s in both cases to have a chance in November against the Democratic [Marxist] Machine.

Comment

• Trump is completely ignorant on TBI's, doubling down on his views on this is vulgar to say the least. He can Fuck Off on this one.

Comment

• Cadet Bonespurs is an expert on brains. Just ask the Very Stable Genius.

1819345_1.jpg
                            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• COVIR-19 news for today ..... only the facts, people.

New cases are slowing and the markets have been up a shit ton over the last two days because of it. Dow and S&P closed at new records today. Crazy but, whatever, I'm enjoying the ride.

The reason cases are slowing is because of, well, what Xi and his comrades can do in a country that is a lock-down communist state. One of the good things about communism in the case of containing the spread of disease .... I guess.

Keep in mind the Chinese lie about things about at the same rate Trump does - optics - it's important so, be wary, continue to wash your hands, don't touch walls, door handles, hand rails and stuff like that and don't rub your eyes. EVER.

Don't go to China right now, fly through any Chinese airports or board an aircraft, cruise ship or train that hasn't taken steps to limit passengers access to these conveyances by policy - the last one is hard but most of the majors in all the transportation industries are taking precautions.

We are going on a cruise through the S. Caribbean on March 2nd. We cruise a lot and I've never gotten sick aboard ship knock on wood). I have gotten sick in a restaurant in Puerto Rico BEFORE I boarded (NORO VIRUS) and once in Australia where I ate at a buffet on a barge on a tour of the Great Barrier Reef (a mild case of the runs from E. coli probably)..... never on a ship and that is becasue my wife makes me pay attention and do all these sanitary things while aboard ship.

That's beside the point though .... Celebrity Cruises - our go to line for many reasons - one of them is that they have very high sanitary standards/processes and the USCG/CDC grades to prove why - sent out an intimidating email that laid out their very tough rules for denying boarding to select passengers. I won't go into it but I'm glad I don't hold a Chines passport or will have flown in from or through any Asian airport on my way to the Fort Lauderdale, FL Cruise port where we will board the ship.

We'll be fine

While new cases are down, a sign that things may be working themselves out, this could still head in any direction according to scientists I'm reading that don't have money or political agendas in this thing.

It's not time to relax just yet.

Comment

• TMI dude

I have never been on a cruise but I did work for about 4 years with a group that had a lot of people who loved cruises and they all said once you go on a Disney cruise you don't do any others. Of course it was a group working at Disney.

Comment

Working...
                                X