No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It also seems like Iran is heading into the abyss.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• My nephew works for an oil company at an oil field near Odessa Texas, and he said his bosses told him to expect layoffs. His company will stop drilling, and even some of the current producing oil wells will be idled.

I like low oil/gas prices, but I hate seeing people get laid off. I've been there.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        My nephew works for an oil company at an oil field near Odessa Texas, and he said his bosses told him to expect layoffs. His company will stop drilling, and even some of the current producing oil wells will be idled.

I like low oil/gas prices, but I hate seeing people get laid off. I've been there.
        Probably heard me say it before but I've been in the industry for most of a decade now and I've heard many times that $50 is the magic number where companies will typically choose laying down rigs over drilling. That sucks, especially since the area where he's at is the most active play in the country right now (Permian)

Comment

• Well, fuck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/u...tleblower.html

p.s.- Trump said "One day, it's like a miracle, it will disappear."

Comment

• Apparently, Mike Pence is testing stand up comedy as a post Washington gig.

" President Trump has no higher priority than the health, safety and well being of Americans."
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Well, yes ......the US is "prepared." Meanwhile, breathless reporting of the predictable spread of COVID-19 and scenes of health care workers (in China, no less) in complete hazmat gear continues unabated. Oh, and now it's being reported Pope Francis is ill ..... is it COVID-19? The Vatican's not telling.

The good news, and this is actually getting reported, new cases in China are less than new cases globally. Medical and infectious disease professionals continue to report that, "we just don't know how this is going to turn out." I think they have a better idea than they let on but, as good scientists, the data isn't there yet to make sound predictions. My take is that it is going to spread globally and in the US; its not going to be deadly but it is going to be disruptive to everyone's lives with a lot of that having to do with the fear produced by the words and visuals from the press mostly absent context and the facts.

Be wary: over the next few news cycles, expect that the press will report that the US health care system is being overwhelmed and is unprepared. You'll see visuals of long lines at Urgent Care Centers and ER's and people donning masks (only useful if you actually have an illness). The really ill will be pictured with ventilators and in ICU beds. The picture that will be formed will not reflect reality with respect to objectively measuring COVID-19's R0, the extent of infection in the US and the morbidity and mortality rate.

So, we know there are a few cases in the US now. We know there is extensive surveillance underway. In 30d we should have enough data to objectively measure the risk. How many cases are confirmed in the US? 300? 50? ............ there are officially 14 new cases and 42 cases among repatriated US citizens that were on the infamous Princess Cruise ship per the CDC. There is one case in CA of what is believed to be community acquired - meaning the infected person alleges they have not knowingly been in contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19. Below is the link you want to follow for US data along with the other link I provided up thread for WHO global data:

There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• ........ on to the markets. Shit, I have no idea here and neither does anyone else analyzing the market's free-fall. The best take I've heard is that it's "unreasonable." Headlines are making anyone with an investment portfolio feel bad ...... "maybe I won't buy that new car this spring," is what a lot of people are thinking and of course sentiment drives markets. Until we start getting some hard data and sound predictions on COVID-19 (that's coming ..... in a while), until countries start easing containment measures based on abatement disease spread, negative consumer and business sentiment is going to drive the markets lower. My advice is ....

Buy Clorox and Lakeland Industries, maker of protective gear, stock:

Shares of bleach maker Clorox (CLX), on the other hand, were up 5.2% in premarket trading. Personal protective health-care equipment maker Lakeland Industries (LAKE) stock is soaring, up 40%. Shares are up about 140% year to date when including the premarket gains. Teladoc Health (TDOC) shares are up 2.1% after rising 15.7% Thursday.
                  There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Russia denies responsibility for airstrike that killed 33 Turkish soldiers. Blames Turkey for the incident, claiming the troops were mixed in with terrorists

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                      Well, yes ......the US is "prepared." Meanwhile, breathless reporting of the predictable spread of COVID-19 and scenes of health care workers (in China, no less) in complete hazmat gear continues unabated. Oh, and now it's being reported Pope Francis is ill ..... is it COVID-19? The Vatican's not telling.

The good news, and this is actually getting reported, new cases in China are less than new cases globally. Medical and infectious disease professionals continue to report that, "we just don't know how this is going to turn out." I think they have a better idea than they let on but, as good scientists, the data isn't there yet to make sound predictions. My take is that it is going to spread globally and in the US; its not going to be deadly but it is going to be disruptive to everyone's lives with a lot of that having to do with the fear produced by the words and visuals from the press mostly absent context and the facts.

Be wary: over the next few news cycles, expect that the press will report that the US health care system is being overwhelmed and is unprepared. You'll see visuals of long lines at Urgent Care Centers and ER's and people donning masks (only useful if you actually have an illness). The really ill will be pictured with ventilators and in ICU beds. The picture that will be formed will not reflect reality with respect to objectively measuring COVID-19's R0, the extent of infection in the US and the morbidity and mortality rate.

So, we know there are a few cases in the US now. We know there is extensive surveillance underway. In 30d we should have enough data to objectively measure the risk. How many cases are confirmed in the US? 300? 50? ............ there are officially 14 new cases and 42 cases among repatriated US citizens that were on the infamous Princess Cruise ship per the CDC. There is one case in CA of what is believed to be community acquired - meaning the infected person alleges they have not knowingly been in contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19. Below is the link you want to follow for US data along with the other link I provided up thread for WHO global data:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
                      The one community-acquired case (that we know about) lived in the area near the same Air Force base where the Wuhan evacuees were taken. It seems a distinct possibility the containment on the base was compromised.

Comment

• On the markets, there's also, IMO, a Bernie-factor. It's clear he's going to be the nominee, and anything that makes it more likely that he'll win is terrible news for the markets.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• One of my cousins just opened his second pub in Aberdeen. Wonder if he needs a scotch sommelier?
                            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The virus is the immediate spark that's causing investors to look around at other things they may have been happily ignoring in this market run-up...one of those is the Bernie factor and the other is that a lot of stocks may have been genuinely overpriced. I can't point to specifics but there's a lot of people suddenly realizing that, waitaminute, the economy is GOOD but GDP ain't growing at over 4%, so why am I buying Microsoft as if it was?

There's an interesting debate going on right now about what the Fed should do. Some saying they should do an emergency rate cut ASAP, don't wait for the next meeting, to try and halt the slide. Others saying a cut in interest rates won't make people more willing to travel during an epidemic or reopen factories in China.

Comment

• Biden's your last hope but it's a long shot. Things are looking pretty good for him to win South Carolina. There's been another batch of polls out recently that show him leading in Texas, Florida & Georgia. Biden's reclaimed a lot of what Bloomberg took from him and Bernie has never been popular in Florida.

Nate Silver & others pointing to California as being very key. It is a possibility that Bernie could be the ONLY candidate to clear the all-important 15% hurdle there. If that happens it might be all over because he will clean up in delegates way beyond his actual share of the vote. And because of their mail-in ballots there's no knowing when that vote will be finalized.

Comment

Working...
                                X