Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Do you actually think nothing gets passed or are you being very dramatic?
          Want to know what I actually see down the road or the flippant answer?
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• CDC says that COVID-19 could still be found on the Diamond Princess 17 days after the last passengers had left.Still not sure if it's capable of infecting anyone after that long on a surface though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              CDC says that COVID-19 could still be found on the Diamond Princess 17 days after the last passengers had left.Still not sure if it's capable of infecting anyone after that long on a surface though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-...gers-left.html
              The fact that is lived THAT long is very concerning
              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Heh

The snippet about them wanting to believe the Epstein article came from the post. Read up.
                In tweets and retweets, the president argued that “WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” reflecting concerns about the impact on the economy.

Comment

Comment

• I was looking today at the numbers and the states of California and New York combine for over 20% of the entire country's annual GDP. Trump can declare the country open for business all he wants, but if those two places remain shut down and rest of the developed world is still in lockdown mode, I dunno how much economic impact it'll really have. And he's got no authority to overrule a state Governor's call for a quarantine. And few Governors are going to heed the President's announcement if they fear there's a significant danger to letting the disease run unchecked (which is just about all of them)

Hell, Ron DeSantis just announced that anyone arriving in Florida from a NYC-area airport will be thrown in MANDATORY quarantine for 14 days.

Comment

Comment

Comment

• Well we can't know precisely how many cases are out there but we can be pretty confident in how many hospitalizations there are. And we think we have a decent range on how many cases end up requiring hospitalization. Most things I've seen say somewhere in the 15-20% range, depending on age groups in the immediate area probably. But let's be conservative and say only 10% of those infected require hospitalization.

New York State said today they have 2635 currently hospitalized for COVID-19, the vast majority near NYC. That means there should probably be roughly 26,350 cases statewide. If the Hospitalization rate is actually higher than 10% then the total number of cases will go down.

But that's also not quite right because people don't get infected and immediately go to the hospital. I've heard different things different places but for the sake of argument let's assume that it takes 14 days between catching CV19 and needing to go to the hospital. So the people in the hospital TODAY caught it on or before March 9 (if that's the case). So really that number I cited is almost a couple weeks behind and there's lots of people walking around right now who will require hospitalization in the near future.

That may all sound patronizing or "Duh, DSL" but I'm just thinking out loud.

Comment

• I'm a proponent of stay the fuck at home. Public shaming can be an effective tool if done properly. I'm not going to go and do it but local law enforcement and Broward Sheriiff here in Fort Lauderdale are doing it. I read it's going on in Miami-Dade too. Nobody's getting arrested but the cops pulling up with blue lights, body armor, batons, weapons and sirens will dampen any idiots having a big gathering at the beach or thinking they're going to go bar hopping. Generally, I think compliance here is better than it's being depicted (beach thing and then the boats on the sandbar thing). The numbers of really sick people in S FL tell us there's some compliance. Old people rule! I do see some idiocy though but it's small groups I saw this weekend that it was pretty clear had been drinking and looking for open bars. Ha, there aren't any.

Meanwhile in Georgia, the other place I spend time, Governor Brian Kemp, a Trump lacky, finally and just hours ago ordered closing of all bars and restaurants - this after tremendous pressure from his public health officials to do so. He had been saying that step wasn't necessary and would hurt business. I spoke with a neighbor today - the guy that straps on a long barrel 45when he mows his lawn - and he told me it's crazy in Gwinnette Co. where I live - nobody is taking the pandemic seriously. Restaurants and bars packed as usual, partying, big gatherings, people going to church in huge numbers (it's GA, after all). He's taking full precautions and is very concerned about his wife - a medical practice manager - who has to go to work in a place with no PPE. She wears gloves and an N95 mask that her husband, the prepper, had in reserve (about 50 of them).

His wife has a 65 year old pulmonologist in the practice that before COVID had 30 patients on his service with around 10 in the hospital that he rounded on daily. He was assigned 5 COVID patient last week who were in serious or critical condition, 2 in the ICU. The hospital doesn't have enough PPE. He rounds in an N95 mask and gloves only. Terrible state of preparedness and now response to the crisis. We were going to head to Atlanta tomorrow to check the house and pick up mail. Stay for a week or so then return here. We're not going there. We feel safer here in FL with better medical support if I need it and state officials who seem to know WTF they are doing. 30
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Whitley, thanks for your detailed response ........ I just have one problem with it where you say this:

...........And there were some weak language (regarding bail outs) that would have prevented that for 2 years (but the Treasury Sect. could have unilaterally waved that). Treasury Sect. would have a lot of discretion which businesses to give this money too AND it would have been 6 months before the public would know where the money went.

First of all as talent points out, these are NOT bailouts - that term has unnecessary emotional connotations to it. Can you link to an article that supports your claims that most of the money given in 2008/9 to the airlines was spent on stock buy backs? I know that happened. To what extent, I'm not sure. I've heard reasonable explanations of why they did this. Moreover, the government made money on the loans granted. The money, you term as bailouts include cash, loans, loan guarantees, tax breaks and other financial guarantees that I'm not sure the public knows about - at least I don't. We can neither approve or disapprove of them without knowing exactly what they are. Second, you admit there are "strings" attached that you call "weak language" but again, I'm not exactly sure what they are. You?

I can't debate this with you rationally when neither of us have the detail we need to do so. I do, however appreciate your response.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Not sure if you saw the couple that got pissed because Wal-Mart wouldn't let them buy all of the fucking Mountain Dew, but Brent Turhune does his take on it. Good shit.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

Working...
                                X