No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal support for corona testing ends today. In gov't-speak, it's "transitioning" to an unfunded state.

As the coronavirus pandemic peak approaches, local officials say the federal government is ending support for COVID-19 community-based testing sites.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• leads me to believe that any plan to re-open economies is also going to be a disaster
      First, it's going to be the States that re-open. There is no national order (nor should there be).

Second, I'm fairly well-convinced that there is no plan to re-open the economy that won't be a disaster. There is no amount of think-tanking or otherwise that is going to make Covid acceptable contagious. That ain't fucking happening. I'm also convinced that keeping things shuttered will be a disaster. You're choosing between two catastrophes. Period. Good trying to convince anyone that the catastrophe you chose is the lesser of two evils. Good fucking luck.

IMO, any serious discussion has to acknowledge this choice. Instead, we get two sides that are convinced that there is no discussion to be had. It's a politics discussion not a policy discussion.
      Last edited by iam416; April 10, 2020, 08:48 AM.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
        Federal support for corona testing ends today. In gov't-speak, it's "transitioning" to an unfunded state.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-as-peak-nears
        Maybe. I'm hearing a mixed message on this. Your article is from the 8th. Yesterday there was word that no, the Feds will continue to support drive through testing.

Yesterday at Desantis' daily presser, he said that FL, in response to the Feds dropping support of them, was preparing to have the FL National Guard man the three federally run drive through test sites in FL. The are already manning the multiple state organized drive through test sites ..... there are 7 of them in Broward and Miami-Dade counties. Not sure of where the others are, I think Orlando and Jacksonville - FL hot spots outside of S. FL/Miami.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Do whatever you believe will help the re-election effort and blame the other side for the inevitable problems. That's the federal plan.

I'm not limiting this attitude to the treasonous rapist grifter Trump, I think that most people in that power addicted Oval Office would do the same. I'll except Jerry Ford, as he willingly committed political suicide with the Nixon pardon. He's the last President in a long, long time that was willing to put country over self.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

First, it's going to be the States that re-open. There is no national order (nor should there be).

Second, I'm fairly well-convinced that there is no plan to re-open the economy that won't be a disaster. There is no amount of think-tanking or otherwise that is going to make Covid acceptable contagious. That ain't fucking happening. I'm also convinced that keeping things shuttered will be a diaster. You're choosing between two catastrophes. Period. Good trying to convince anyone that the catastrophe you chose is the lesser of two evils. Good fucking luck.
            You should know that I'm well aware of that.

The reason there has to be some level of Federal Guidelines is that a standardized mechanism, a process, to collect data, analyse it and then direct results back to the states is critical to a coordinated, albeit state level directed, reopening. There also needs to be Federal guidelines from CDC on what protective steps are necessary in the work spaces - all kinds - so as to avoid some kind of piecemeal mess of reopening.

I also get your distress/frustration with R0 of this little fucker. First, the rate of infection while high, produces serious illness in somewhere between 3% and 5% of the infected population. There's an appropriate although difficult cost-benefit analysis available to, at the very least, provide some level of guidance to the states while at the same time provide ways to monitor the progress of what each stae is doing. Thais cannot properly be done piecemeal.

I think guys like Fauci and people around him know this. Whether or not Trump aligns himself with Fauci's well informed views is another question entirely.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; April 10, 2020, 08:59 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Do whatever you believe will help the re-election effort and blame the other side for the inevitable problems. That's the federal plan.
              Yeah, that's every politician's plan. That's why I said this entire thing is a political discussion not a policy discussion.

I think guys like Fauci and people around him know this. Whether or not Trump aligns himself with Fauci's well informed views is another question entirely.
              Fauci can't be the only person in the discussion nor should his views necessarily be the views that guide, He's there to inform PDJT of Catastrophe #1. He then needs other folks to inform him of Catastrophe #2. Then he has to decide what shit-sandwich Catastrophe is less catastrophic.That IS the situation.

Comment

• Out of curiosity, have I ever mentioned the Zimbabwean line about choosing between closing things down and the economy?
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Does that involve something like: "Catch sheep syphullus now or eat peat later?"

Comment

• You bastard...
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Morons are governing this forum...
                      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                        Morons are governing this forum...
                        So you are in charge then?

#Be Safe
                        #Mercy Shot
                        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

So you are in charge then?

#Be Safe
                          #Mercy Shot
                          shaddup
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• More Herd Immunity....less herd mentality...

Ariel Pablos-Mendez, M.D., MPH is a professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center, New York and former head of global health at the US Agency for International Development (USAID).

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wreckless?

Capture.JPG

Comment

• Michigan's expanded stay at home order goes into effect. Interesting that the ban specifically does not exclude lottery sales so long as social distancing is practiced. My neighbor (who raises chickens) can no longer step onto my property and give my wife eggs. I can not get into my car and go to my other home in Ogemaw county. But if I get pulled over by the cops, I tell him I'm on a scratch off run and he says have a nice day.

At least two Capitol protests were announced and Republican lawmakers stepped up their warnings about the impact on Michigan's economy.

Comment

Working...
                                X