No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senator Gillibrand, fierce leader/opporuntist queen of the #MeToo movement says she "stands firmly behind Joe Biden" in regards to Tara Reade allegations. "He has vehemently denied the allegations." Well, then.

LOL. I mean...LMMFAO.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Correct. But, man, this is stuff is almost parody.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Senator Gillibrand, fierce leader/opporuntist queen of the #MeToo movement says she "stands firmly behind Joe Biden" in regards to Tara Reade allegations. "He has vehemently denied the allegations." Well, then.

LOL. I mean...LMMFAO.
          Well he said he didn't do it! Nothing to see here! But if he did...he didn't mean it and he has good intentions!

Kavanaugh? Who?
          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Q1 GDP shrank 4.8%. Quite a bit more than expected. Only positive I can think of right now is that might mean the Q2 number will be slightly less bad.

Comment

• Futures up 400 pts on Gilead Science's report that Remdesivir helped improve symptoms in Covid patients. This seems to be more FOMO than anything else. Contraction at 4.8% this quarter, expected 6-8% next quarter. 26M unemployed. Fear among the public will slow spending and return to "normal".

Revisiting the bottom in May or June?
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The NHS over in the UK is doing a very big, randomized study of remdesivir and hopefully those results will be out sooner than later. If those results are positive I would say go ahead and get it as widespread as possible.

Comment

• Doctor Strangelove has spoken.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                    Q1 GDP shrank 4.8%. Quite a bit more than expected. Only positive I can think of right now is that might mean the Q2 number will be slightly less bad.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/us-g...t-reading.html
                    See my previous post about how the deaths of an imminent disaster are always less than expected and the economic calamity of avoiding that "disaster" is always worse than expected..

And then remember that and multiply it all by 10 when we are talking about needing the Green New Deal to stop the Earth from becoming Venus. Look on the bright side -- CO2 emissions have gone way down during this lockdown. Still not enough to satisfy Al Gore though. We need to be in the Stone Age for that. The good news is that employment in the government sector is still very strong. No wonder AOC seems so chipper.

Employment.png

Last edited by Hannibal; April 29, 2020, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• The NHS over in the UK is doing a very big, randomized study of remdesivir and hopefully those results will be out sooner than later. If those results are positive I would say go ahead and get it as widespread as possible.
                      It's not an easy drug to take. So, you're only getting it in a hospital. And I think the data will show that it needs to be taken relatively early. There's probably a point of no return. But, hey, I'm for anything that reduces fatality rate.

In the meantime, I had to convince my wife that going back to work wasn't some sort of death sentence (she's going to have to go to the office 12 hours a week starting next Monday).

There are 11M people in Ohio. Let's assume 60% infection rate to get to herd immunity. That's 6.6M people. Let's assume 1% IFR because that's what folks are saying now, though that could be a high. That's 66,000 deaths. Let's further look at who dies from this thing. For people under 50 you're looking at roughly 5-7%. But, let's say 10%. That's 6,600 deaths in Ohio for people under 50.

But, the campaign of fear will march on, and she's an avid consumer, so my cold rational math won't do much to assuage her anxiety.

Comment

• Hanni:

Could you reshare that link on the feasibility of solar as actual power grid energy replacment? I thought it was fantastic, but it's buried in a morass somewhere in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                          Hanni:

Could you reshare that link on the feasibility of solar as actual power grid energy replacment? I thought it was fantastic, but it's buried in a morass somewhere in this thread.
                          Could you admit that Jim Tressel was a lying cheating scumbag? Probably not.

But here is the link anyways. A must read for everyone here.

Comment

• Could the growth in government employment be accounted for by temporary census takers? There's always a spike in federal employment in census years. Because otherwise I don't know where govt is growing. Ohio has a hiring freeze and didn't DeWine ask for something like a 20% budget cut across departments?

Comment

• State of Kansas loses its appeal with the 10th Circuit on the "citizenship requirement" case. I believe this is the case where the district judge ordered Kris Kobach to take CLE courses because his in-court behavior and arguments were laughably bad.

Copy of the decision is at the link

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Kansas’ proof-of-citizenship voter registration...

Comment

• A variety of good news on the scientific front: https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ety-of-fronts/

A couple items relate to issues that had Strangelove fetaled up in his closet.

Comment

Working...
                                X