No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep. Watched it earlier today. Classic.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Flu.JPG
      “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• It has been recently reported that murder hornets have been found in Washington state. They kill adult honeybees and eat their larvae. I think I'd opt for a 12 gauge rather than a spray can of Bee-B-Gone.

6242572228_e743c65985_c.jpg
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• TRANSITION TO GREATNESS!!!

Comment

• Well, the hysteria continues with this mornings news ......80,OOO DEATHS, DIRE WARNINGS COMING FROM DR. FAUCI TODAY, OPENING TOO SOON!!!!!

I'm not going to go into the FRIGHTENING!!! link between COVID and Kawaski's disease among our CHILDREN!!! that's out there other than to say, the link is uncertain, tenuous.

I'm trying not to rant. It's hard.

Like Case #s, total deaths is mostly a meaningless measure if you are trying to assess the degree to which COVID is present in a country or if a degree of control of the spread is being analyzed. Case Fatality Rate is a better measure of that and it also indicates, indirectly, the amount of testing a county is doing.

Here's the comparative CFRs by country: Spoiler, the US CFR for the the 10 most affected countries is only higher in Germany, IOW, US CFR is second best among those countries. Yes, yes, different reporting, different demographics and population densities but, the longer this thing goes on the better the comparative data becomes; we are 6 months into this thing if it started in November, 2019 like experts think it did. Here are the charts as of today:

How does mortality differ across countries? Examining the number of deaths per confirmed case and per 100,000 population. A global comparison.

Don't open? Fuck that ........ here's good ol' R(t) possibly the best objective measure of containment. Things look very good according to this chart.

Up-to-date values for Rt — the number to watch to measure COVID spread.

Recall that (Rt) is reflective of how well a state, in the case of this chart, is doing controlling the spread of the virus. Take either FL or GA, GA being a really good example because GA probably has the least restrictive policy on re-opening, both have an R(t) value < zero. People, that means control of the spread.

Look, I posted some balance yesterday indicating that I was taking a less aggressive stance against local officials who were resisting re-opening when the data said it was OK to do that. Well, as the chorus of re-opening advocates sings louder, the nay-sayers work hard to drown them out with bad news. I feel confident that most of this bad news narrative is driven by politics or the desire to make the trump administration's COVID response look bad. Certainly, there are problems. We can deal with those later but right now get on with it.
            Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 12, 2020, 08:34 AM.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• "Remember this, every Governor who has sky high approval on their handling of the Coronavirus, and I am happy for them all, could in no way have gotten those numbers, or had that success, without me and the Federal Governments help. From Ventilators to Testing, we made it happen!" - President Deals

Comment

• After having "no cases" for weeks, China suddenly announces a 10-day battle in Wuhan and that all 11 million people in the city will be tested.

Hmmmmmmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  After having "no cases" for weeks, China suddenly announces a 10-day battle in Wuhan and that all 11 million people in the city will be tested.

Hmmmmmmmm
                  Are they closing down?

Nope. They will increase testing and contract tracing and keep pumping out product and services from their economy.

Meanwhile, businesses here in the US continue to be ham-strung by inappropriate restrictions on re-opening. Elon Musk has re-opened his plant in Fullerton and says to Alameda Co. officials, "come and arrest me." ...... and if you do, my Tesla plant and 45,000 jobs will move to Nevada where their government isn't doing stupid shit like CA's Governor Newsom is.

OK, fine. I think the US has testing issues but not anything like that Asian Women who asked Trump about it yesterday, among plenty of other pot-stirring journalists, as bad as they make it out to be ..... more fear and paranoia, more unnecessary finger-pointing over federal level fuck-ups. Later. Get on task now.

If you've taken the time to read the stuff on testing I posted yesterday, you should understand it and some of the technical limitations associated with it. Yet, according to the news, the US and all the states suck at it. That is just patently false. States are doing testing, plenty of it, some less than others. Sates are going balls-to-the-wall to hire contact tracers. State, county and local officials know about the importance of testing and contact tracing in any re-opening process and are acting on that knowledge. Instead, the media leads us to believe officials are sitting on their hands..... and of course PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!! because of that. Untrue.

I know, another rant. I'll ..... no, I won't.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• My restaurant opened back up yesterday with restrictions including:

50% occupancy max
                    6 ft. Social Distancing
                    Groups of six or less only.
                    No bar seating
                    Alcohol consumption only with a meal
                    All staff required to wear facemask
                    Servers cannot handle food and money transaction

I'm not sure how the local law enforcement can enforce the guidelines to the 200+ dining establishments in our area but good luck with that. Our numbers were very good for a Monday evening but I still sense nervousness among locals here to venture out much. Still will be a process. Will be curious to see the next phase requirements starting June 1.
                    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Are they closing down?

Nope. They will increase testing and contract tracing and keep pumping out product and services from their economy.

Meanwhile, businesses here in the US continue to be ham-strung by inappropriate restrictions on re-opening. Elon Musk has re-opened his plant in Fullerton and says to Alameda Co. officials, "come and arrest me." ...... and if you do, my Tesla plant and 45,000 jobs will move to Nevada where their government isn't doing stupid shit like CA's Governor Newsom is.

OK, fine. I think the US has testing issues but not anything like that Asian Women who asked Trump about it yesterday, among plenty of other pot-stirring journalists, as bad as they make it out to be ..... more fear and paranoia, more unnecessary finger-pointing over federal level fuck-ups. Later. Get on task now.

If you've taken the time to read the stuff on testing I posted yesterday, you should understand it and some of the technical limitations associated with it. Yet, according to the news, the US and all the states suck at it. That is just patently false. States are doing testing, plenty of it, some less than others. Sates are going balls-to-the-wall to hire contact tracers. State, county and local officials know about the importance of testing and contact tracing in any re-opening process and are acting on that knowledge. Instead, the media leads us to believe officials are sitting on their hands..... and of course PEOPLE ARE DYING!!!! because of that. Untrue.

I know, another rant. I'll ..... no, I won't.
                      I brought that up about China to question, again, how honest they've been about those "no cases" they've been claiming for weeks. They went from that to "all 11 million face mandatory testing" pretty quick.

Comment

• Supreme Court is hearing three Trump tax-return related cases today. Looking forward to reading the transcript on this Mazars/Deutsche Bank stuff

Comment

• Jeff, with regards to Tesla, where do you draw the line between non-violent civil disobedience and opinionated flaunting the law that can affect the public at large?

Comment

• Jim Geraghty has generally been pessimistic (or a realist), but he's increasingly optimistic: https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-of-the-virus/

As Jeff noted, however, it's all a horror show. Can't report anything positive.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The real horror show is that government now has a solid template for how to suspend civil liberties and shut down society. No Constitution, legislation, or due process necessary. All that you need is something to scare people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                The real horror show is that government now has a solid template for how to suspend civil liberties and shut down society. No Constitution, legislation, or due process necessary. All that you need is something to scare people.
                                Uh, pretty sure WWI and WWII, or even the Civil War, pretty well established that template.

Comment

Working...
                                X