No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the game the Ds and the Media play. Any state that opens up -- wait a minute, let me revise -- any RED state that opens up is killing people. And, of course, scream about the need for increased testing and then when you get increased testing scream about the increase in cases.

And people wonder why PDJT gets sooooooo much mileage out of fake news -- and RIGHTLY so.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Is Politico left or right? I never read it, so I have no idea. Anyway, this from Politico:

Good evening, and greetings from Florida, where we feel the need to inform you that it’s not a post-apocalyptic hellscape of coronavirus infection and cadavers stacked like cordwood. That is, Florida just doesn’t look nearly as bad as the national news media and sky-is-falling critics have been predicting for about two months now. But then, the national news media is mostly based in New York and loves to love its Democratic governor, Andrew Cuomo, about as much as it loves to hate on Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.

First, let’s just come out and say it: DeSantis looks more right than those who criticized the Sunshine State’s coronavirus response. According to the latest Florida figures, fewer than 2,000 have died, and around 43,000 have been infected. That’s a fraction of the dire predictions made for Florida when spring breakers swarmed the beaches, and those numbers are dwarfed by similarly sized New York, which has seen 12 times more deaths and nearly eight times more infections. (Check out POLITICO’s coronavirus tracker for more.) More people reportedly died in New York nursing homes than in all of Florida.

The polling disparity: DeSantis is actually polling worse than Cuomo in their respective states, and the Florida press is wondering why. Part of that is style. Cuomo has a smooth delivery, a deep and calming voice and an attitude that projects he can answer any question. DeSantis sometimes comes across as peevish and defensive, has made a misstatement or two and was mocked for struggling to put on a mask. But most of the difference between DeSantis and Cuomo is due to politics. DeSantis governs a politically divided state. Cuomo is a scion of Democratic royalty in a deeply Democratic state.

Yes, there’s media bias, too. Cuomo also has something else DeSantis doesn’t: a press that defers to him, one that preferred to cover “Florida Morons” at the beach (where it’srelatively hard to get infected) over New Yorkers riding cramped subway cars (where it’s easy to get infected). In fact, people can still ride the subways for most hours of the day in New York, but Miami Beach’s sands remain closed. Maybe things would be different if DeSantis had a brother who worked in cable news and interviewed him for a “sweet moment” in primetime.

DeSantis can’t quite take a victory lap, however. For one, he can’t take all the credit. He deferred to local leaders early on as they issued closure orders in places like Miami-Dade County — the most populous in the state, and the one with the most coronavirus cases — which shuttered dine-in restaurants and nightclubs two months ago.

And, for all of the relatively OK news about coronavirus infection and death rates, there’s a looming problem associated with coronavirus and Republican rule of the state: Florida’s horrendous unemployment compensation system, which can’t handle the volume of claims and, critics charge, was designed to discourage people from getting government help. According to the state’s figures, more than 1.4 million unique unemployment claims have been submitted, but only half have received compensation. DeSantis is trying to get it fixed quickly. He knows that in a state he won by less than half a point two years ago, and one that President Donald Trump won by slightly more than a point in 2016, it’s a political time bomb to have potentially hundreds of thousands of people blaming the party in power for their woes in an election year.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters...1&nlid=2670445

Comment

• It'll be interesting to see how that shakes out after DeSantis is largely correct and the Media hoaxers largely wrong.

I still have it a toss-up. As long as Biden doesn't talk I think he's a slight favorite. Bernie, of course, would have lost Florida by 15.

Comment

• DeSantis polls way ahead of Trump in Florida, I believe. Opposite of George where a significant number of Republicans disapprove of Kemp. Mainly because he has defied Trump repeatedly.

Comment

• Also see how Biden has widened the gap with Trump among Senior citizens the past couple months to help explain his better polling in Florida.

Comment

• Talent, members here will appreciate you picking up the banner and hammering whatever CGVT posts about DIRE WARNINGS!!!!! (or DSL for that matter although I think he's done with that kind of posting for fear of getting murdered). Your style is considerably more concise than mine, colorful for sure, but not anywhere as robust, thorough and complete as mine.

....... still, well done!
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 15, 2020, 02:45 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• It wasn't DSL. It was CGVT posting a nonsense tweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  It wasn't DSL. It was CGVT posting a nonsense tweet.
                  Jeff only looks closely at the posts if they exceed 1000 words.

Jeff, if you go hang out at an inner city Atlanta ER waiting room for the next week holding a sign that says "Leave my body alone, Bill Gates!" (please livestream this event), I promise I'll have my mind eased that the virus is a hoax and I will immediately go spend my patriotic dollars at Fuddruckers as economic stimulus

Comment

• The Poltico piece? ...... according to one source it's right leaning but there are also as many R as D readers/contributors.

There's a lot of news in S. FL about the UIB cluster and, as I have said, The Miami Herald is a liberal mouth piece. UIB application and processing is a mess in FL. It is bad. No way to shake that shit off your shoe. It's low hanging fruit.

There's some criticism of him for the UIB mess, among other issues, from the pan-handle because Desantis' political opponents mostly reside around Tallahassee as they are state congressmen. S. FL is pretty liberal, pro-immigration, especially to the East in the Tri-county region; the West in Monroe, Colier and Lee counties it's conservative. It seems to balance out between the liberal East and Conservative West. Clinton hammered Trump in the Tri-county regions (Dade, Broward and Palm Beach). Turmp did the hammering to the west and north. But the race overall was really close as we know.

My take is that Desantis has done a good job of selling that he recognized a UIBs problem early on and is doing something about it. Actually, he had nothing to do with creating it, his predecessor, now Senator Rick Scott, is the guilty SOB and most Floridians recognize it. But that hasn't stopped opponents from calling for INVESTIGATIONS!!! into FL's UIB process.

I probably watch more Desantis press conferences than the author of the Politco piece that criticized him for not being as smooth as Cuomo (the bit about a supportive and mostly friendly NY and NYC media and the Fox News Cuomo take compared to Desantis though is spot on).

One thing Desantis is very good at, much like Cuomo, is his messaging is clear and unambiguous and if he publishes guidance documents they are understandable to the average Joe. Like Cuomo, he exudes self confidence and a take charge demeanor. I've said this before, he handles the hostile component of the press well; the Politico guy didn't think he did. He can be combative and cut reporters with stupid questions off but I think it's a strength rather than a weakness ..... and he doesn't tweet personally although his office does. Tweets are informational only. You'll never here this vehicle being used to defend a position he might take or criticism someone who has taken a different one.

I did like the overall tone of it though. Stick to 5 positives of new tests, rate measures, among others that are tracking ICU bed use, ILI reports from EDs and the like in analyzing any state's re-opening progress and you'll get a good view of how things are going.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 15, 2020, 03:55 PM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

It wasn't DSL. It was CGVT posting a nonsense tweet.
                      Sorry, I just fixed it ...... still the second part of my post is accurate.

Comment

This is the game the Ds and the Media play. Any state that opens up -- wait a minute, let me revise -- any RED state that opens up is killing people. And, of course, scream about the need for increased testing and then when you get increased testing scream about the increase in cases.

And people wonder why PDJT gets sooooooo much mileage out of fake news -- and RIGHTLY so.
                        Blah blah blah...The media! Fake news!

Ha! Clown on, McDuff!

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• There's really not much for to say after getting so thoroughly mauled.

Comment

• Oh I forgot Gentry progs! BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS!
                            I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Again. See my post above. Mauled.,

Comment

Working...
                              X