No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took advantage of the sunny day today to go out and shop for a pair of tennies and a Blizzard at DQ. Whether shoe shopping or snagging ice cream, I saw the same disregard for covid suggestions. Probably only 60% of people were wearing masks, only a smattering wearing gloves, and less than half practicing social distancing. I also observed that several people apparently believe that fist bumping is a “safe” alternative to handshakes.

So what do I think of all this? Not quite sure. Reinforces my opinion that a large segment of the population are cranial flat liners, and now demonstrating the potential for being terminally brain dead. It's Darwinism happening before my eyes. I think I’ll withdraw for a few weeks more as the new covid cases will invariably ramp up.

All of this made me contemplate the actions of the administration. The OPEN NOW!!!! philosophy of the administration is an economic decision not a health decision. Trump sees, probably correctly, that a robust economy is his only path to re-election, given the sheer magnitude of his incompetence in all other aspects of his administration. And since only a few months are left before the election, only the abatement of the pandemic can reasonably provide that path.

A vaccine is still months and months away. Two clinical studies showed positive leaning results in their Phase I trials. The stock market jumped. But Phase I tells us only if the test vaccine is applicable to humans – does it damage or kill patients. It does not measure effectiveness of the vaccine. That’s Phase II. Nonetheless, this is good news – and FOMO sufferers use it to justify irrational financial exuberance.

If the vaccine is still months away from development, (how much time will it take for distribution?), then so-called herd immunity is the next quickest option against future infection (and help re-election in Trump-think). This is why the administration is posting all the nonsensical tweets, encouraging civil disobedience, green lighting dangerous behavior (go to church, no gathering limits, promoting quack cures).

Imagine that in July 2021 that covid (to use a Trumpism) “just goes away”. Maybe by vaccine, maybe by herd immunity, maybe by magic. But its gone.

However, the election is only six months away. Here’s the choice. Wait for the vaccine. Wait for herd immunity. But Trump will not wait. He can not do anything that will speed development of the vaccine. But he can speed herd immunity. If he lets the covid run its course with lock down restrictions, say 150k die. But if he declares the pandemic to be ‘fake news’ and does everything he possibly can to get people infected, then perhaps the economy will recover sooner and the election could possibly be salvaged.

So what does Trump do, without a vaccine break through? Does he listen to the medical and research community by following their instructions, have a 150k die and lose the election? Or does he make statements, issue instructions and make policy that will kill a million people and possibly shorten the economic recovery time, hoping for something to campaign on?

We wouldn’t find ourselves in this position if IN JANUARY we started taking steps instead of labeling the disease a partisan “hoax” that his “dear friend” Xi is “taking care of” that will “just go away”. We wouldn’t find ourselves in this position if we had a real President in the first place.
    Last edited by Ghengis Jon; May 23, 2020, 05:09 PM.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• If you’re gonna hang your hat on January then I’m going to quote EVERYONE at your ass. Talk about a canard if a narrative borne entirely out of a President that turns otherwise rational folks into blathering morons.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Remember when PDJT banned travel from China (with exceptions), and the Ds and Media cried RACIST! In January.

Comment

• My no Covid day was a success except for everyone.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• A little like opening F3.

Comment

• I'm not arguing right or wrong. I'm saying it looks like policy, or lack of it, is dictated by a decision that increased short term pain will speed long term gain, trying to shorten the distance between. This is the direction the government is pursing. How it affects your family is your problem, hope that a vaccine arrives soon.

The blame game, the partisan bickering, the he said she said is all white noise.
              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• North Dakota Governor (a Republican) chokes up as he begs the anti-mask crowd to not turn mask-wearing into a Culture War thing

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                  I took advantage of the sunny day today to go out and shop for a pair of tennies and a Blizzard at DQ. Whether shoe shopping or snagging ice cream, I saw the same disregard for covid suggestions. Probably only 60% of people were wearing masks, only a smattering wearing gloves, and less than half practicing social distancing. I also observed that several people apparently believe that fist bumping is a “safe” alternative to handshakes.

So what do I think of all this? Not quite sure. Reinforces my opinion that a large segment of the population are cranial flat liners, and now demonstrating the potential for being terminally brain dead. It's Darwinism happening before my eyes. I think I’ll withdraw for a few weeks more as the new covid cases will invariably ramp up.

All of this made me contemplate the actions of the administration. The OPEN NOW!!!! philosophy of the administration is an economic decision not a health decision. Trump sees, probably correctly, that a robust economy is his only path to re-election, given the sheer magnitude of his incompetence in all other aspects of his administration. And since only a few months are left before the election, only the abatement of the pandemic can reasonably provide that path.

A vaccine is still months and months away. Two clinical studies showed positive leaning results in their Phase I trials. The stock market jumped. But Phase I tells us only if the test vaccine is applicable to humans – does it damage or kill patients. It does not measure effectiveness of the vaccine. That’s Phase II. Nonetheless, this is good news – and FOMO sufferers use it to justify irrational financial exuberance.

If the vaccine is still months away from development, (how much time will it take for distribution?), then so-called herd immunity is the next quickest option against future infection (and help re-election in Trump-think). This is why the administration is posting all the nonsensical tweets, encouraging civil disobedience, green lighting dangerous behavior (go to church, no gathering limits, promoting quack cures).

Imagine that in July 2021 that covid (to use a Trumpism) “just goes away”. Maybe by vaccine, maybe by herd immunity, maybe by magic. But its gone.

However, the election is only six months away. Here’s the choice. Wait for the vaccine. Wait for herd immunity. But Trump will not wait. He can not do anything that will speed development of the vaccine. But he can speed herd immunity. If he lets the covid run its course with lock down restrictions, say 150k die. But if he declares the pandemic to be ‘fake news’ and does everything he possibly can to get people infected, then perhaps the economy will recover sooner and the election could possibly be salvaged.

So what does Trump do, without a vaccine break through? Does he listen to the medical and research community by following their instructions, have a 150k die and lose the election? Or does he make statements, issue instructions and make policy that will kill a million people and possibly shorten the economic recovery time, hoping for something to campaign on?

We wouldn’t find ourselves in this position if IN JANUARY we started taking steps instead of labeling the disease a partisan “hoax” that his “dear friend” Xi is “taking care of” that will “just go away”. We wouldn’t find ourselves in this position if we had a real President in the first place.
                  Go live in your sterile bubble then. I have no issue with imbeciles like you who choose to do that. You have the right to live in fear just as I have the right to not.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

Go live in your sterile bubble then. I have no issue with imbeciles like you who choose to do that. You have the right to live in fear just as I have the right to not.
                    How is business Wiz?

Let me ask you this in all serious. If the US government had made the decision that they would pay 80% of your workers wages and they would furloughed but attached to your restaurant giving you the ability to ramp up to full time when the time comes would you have been in favor of that?
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post

Likewise, I generally have no issue with imbeciles like you that try to cast others as 'fearful'. Try responsible. Its imbeciles that shoot security guards for enforcing posted store rules, imbeciles that wipe their noses on the shirts of 17 year old counter girls, and imbeciles that brag about 3000 Instagram followers while being tossed out of Costco. Or something a little closer to home, an imbecile that told my wheelchair bound niece "wearing mask doesn't stop you from being a librul fuckface". Its because of imbeciles that the ND governor has to make a public plea to imbeciles not to "shame" (he meant to say be a douchebag to) mask wearers. All because those mask wearers are trying to be responsible and/or are caring for someone at risk.

Yeah, I am oh so impressed with your bravery. I have no issue with you or anyone else opening their business. Just leave your douchebaggery at home.
                      Last edited by Ghengis Jon; May 24, 2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Ah, the BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS!!! vs FREEDOM!!!! dialogue. Inspiring.

Hey, Alabam"Alum" -- so I heard your friend Oxygen started dating my friend Magnesium and I was like, OMG!

Comment

• lol.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Hey, Alabam"Alum" -- last night in Columbus Potassium fought Oxygen in a no-holds barred street fight. Of course, Potassium destroyed Oxygen by KO.

Comment

• Hey, Alabam"Alum" -- there are 10 types of people in this world -- those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

• Hey, Alabam"Alum" -- I think this proves there are no more good science jokes left. All the good ones argon.

Comment

Working...
                                X