No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just goes to show, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• A photon checks into a hotel and is asked if he needs any help with his luggage. He says, "No, I'm traveling light."

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Organic chemistry is difficult. Those who study it have alkynes of trouble.

Comment

• I almost went with photon number but thought it was more your style.
          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This thread has been irretrievably, irreversibly, irrevocably, irredeemably ruined. Moroniots!!

Comment

• Did you hear about the man who got cooled to absolute zero? He's 0K now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                This thread has been irretrievably, irreversibly, irrevocably, irredeemably ruined. Moroniots!!

That is a good band name there.
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• With news reports of Americans returning to socializing this weekend.......GASP ..... without masks and social distancing, including video to prove it, it's no wonder some remain fearful of venturing out. But the numbers used in FL, for example, a state where pictures of crowded beaches, boardwalks and restaurants make national headlines, to assess virus spread, continue to show declines in the metrics state and local health officials are monitoring to do that.

Certainly, heading out of one's house with the risk of COVID exposure increasing with that behavior, is a personal choice. I posted a link to an Economist article last week that estimated globally millions will become homeless or perish from starvation related to loss of the ability to work and earn or, in the case of the west, die because they lost employer provided health insurance. WHO estimates that 1.4m children, not getting required vaccinations due to disruption in routine health care may die unnecessarily, and thousands of adults, who are avoiding seeking routine and specialty medical care, will die. All of this to save considerably less lives from COVID related deaths. But, yeah, stay inside; agree with and thus perpetuate the media's fear mongering.

Reported alone, which I have complained about to both the Sun Sentinel and Miami Herald, case numbers continue to rise feeding the fear narrative. Well, duhhh because the numbers reported are cumulative. Things look dire. But the reality is that while testing is increasing here, close to 1m have been tested, with a focus on care homes and senior living enclaves, percent positives have dropped from 5.89% to 2.27% and that number is consistent with containment. ..... and, BTW, I'd like to think my letters to the Sun Sentinel editor prompted their Sunday COVID report for FL to include rate data.

I've been out and about in Fort Lauderdale since arriving here from ATL on Thursday. We dined out on Thursday and again on Friday, both times in restaurants with out-door seating. No worries. I'd say compliance with requirements for masks and social distancing runs around 60-70% overall but near full compliance within indoor places of business, e.g., hardware stores, restaurants, retail. Everyone in both outdoor restaurants we dined in arrived with face masks, took them off once seated and appeared to be behaving responsibly. Servers were masked (in one case with a face shield!), diners used on-line menus, wrapped utensils, no salt shakers, individual packaged condiments, sanitized tables between guests, all good.

I've seen one instance of non-compliance in FTL in a bar busy with young people on Los Olas - a FTL bar and dining district - who didn't appear to be worried about congregating in large groups. Still, the proprietors of the restaurants we visit or walk past appear to be spacing tables, erecting barriers between booths when present, marking floors for spacing, if there is seating at interior or outside bars, seating is properly placed and patrons complying. There's a move by restaurants to expand outdoor seating onto closed streets to expand capacity while maintaining spacing. City officials are assisting in this effort.

Oh, and reports of outbreaks turning into "hot-spots" at food processing plants, including meats and vegetables, creating DIRE predictions of shortages, another favorite topic of the press, just aren't materializing. Prices are not surprisingly up, of course, but there's plenty of product available in all categories except sanitizing products. An interview this morning on GMA by an official representing grocers noted, to the dismay of the ABC interviewer, that supply chains are functioning well and spot shortages that do occur are quickly fixed. I've had no problems finding everything I want to purchase here in Fort Lauderdale grocery stores.

The Chinese and Russians, clearly conducting a powerful disinformation campaign - if the unwarranted fear of COVID is an indicator - are cheering at the stay-at-home behavior of Americans.

Finally, bike sales are up 130%. These ARE hard to find. DIRE!!!
                  Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 25, 2020, 07:13 AM.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Heh. Place your bets on "Trump wants to move the convention to Mar a Lago or his struggling Doral golf course."

President Trump warned Monday that planners would be "reluctantly forced" to find a new site for the Republican National Convention if North Carolina's governor can't guarantee the party will be allowed "full attendance" at the event currently planned in the state's largest city. 

Comment

• If he’s kicked outta NC, Mar a Lago makes sense.

Unrelated: I bet Belichick wants the NFL season to go on. I think he plans to coach until he has the most wins. He needs 21 to pass #2 Halas and 44 to pass #1 Shula. 4 years, tops. Probably 3.
                      Last edited by AlabamAlum; May 25, 2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Andy Reid (222) is the only active coach in the top 10. No way he touches it. That record looks like it will stand for a while if Belichick can hold on.
                        Last edited by AlabamAlum; May 25, 2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• I remember when Shula passed Halas. I said no one would ever break it. The long-tenured coach isn’t a thing in the NFL anymore. Looks like I might be wrong about that.

First time for everything, I guess.

Comment

• Some will hate the touches of politics in this story but read for the short tales of 3 WWII vets who all died at the Holyoke Soldiers Home near Springfield, Mass. Out of 210 veterans living at the home in March, 89 are now dead.

Inside the Holyoke Soldiers’ Home was a man who had served as a jailer to Hitler’s top aide. A man who had rescued Japanese kamikaze pilots from the sea. A man who carried memories of a concentration camp.

Comment

• I ate at a restaurant for the first time in about 10 weeks yesterday. This particular place has a very large outdoor area but I decided to go inside as it was very warm and muggy here. It's a big place and I was literally the only customer inside for about my first 15 minutes there (they had a decent crowd outdoors). Weird experience. Probably half the tables gone. No sitting at the very large bar was allowed but they had hightop tables set up to run perpendicular to it. Menus were just printed on paper and one-use only. Nothing at all was being kept on the tables, none of the usual condiments or little signs showing specials. The sort of thing you're used to seeing. Employees were all wearing masks but a large variety of different ones and I didn't want to ask if they had to buy them themselves. Felt great to actually sit down somewhere and have a draft beer.

One place I'm less in a hurry to return to is the barber shop. Unless you know your barber really well and isn't one of the chain stores with constant turnover. As of yet no one is confirmed to have caught it, but two "stylists" at a Great Clips in Springfield, MO kept working for days despite symptoms and potentially exposed 150 other people to the virus. Everyone wore masks so...we'll see how this turns out. Could be a good test for the efficacy of mask-wearing.

Comment

• I’ve been to a couple of restaurants. Same experience. But, you’re right, it’s nice to sit in and have a beer.

Comment

Working...
                                X