No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Joe Biden is going to get dragged, big time, into the "disband" police movement. At a minimum, he'll have to be on board with drastic defunding. Fortunately, urban areas have proven, conclusively, that they are law-abiding citizens that need no policing. In particular, I expect community gardens to spring up on every corner on the southside of Chicago. Rainbows and unicorns. What a time to be alive.

Fortunately, he's up by like 20 points everywhere, so he can pretty much just cut to the chase and support outright anarchy and still win.
    Last edited by iam416; June 8, 2020, 08:07 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
      Kevin Williamson states the obvious -- we know who's been running these cities where all these this racism is happening. https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/...-abstractions/
      The comments section is also worth a quick scroll through.

It's a shame that the message Williamson is sending in his article isn't going to be received and acted upon by the local communities that must act but instead will be drowned out by the prog's continuing inane narrative.

It's also a shame that the current R president (and the R party), having an unprecedented opportunity to expose the D's as dangerously inept and responsible for the "mess" Williamson articulately describes, will blow it.
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

And, just for Buchanan, the coronavirus "may" be burning itself out -- https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...-becoming-less

Based entirely on quotes from doctors and their observations and not really on anything sufficient to base an objective conclusion on. But, still....why not post unsupported optimism instead of unsupported pessimism?
        I saw this argument advanced a few weeks ago but not with the detail that's been fleshed out in this article. The kicker here is that how SARS-CoV-2 attacks and destroys body tissue, or doesn't, is the least understood process involving this thing. I feel confident that as time goes on we'll know. The level of scientific investigation into what amounts to a novel variation of the virus that produces the common cold is unprecedented.Still, good news.

The key new news is the potential that some genes aren't being replicated correctly. Gene coding is a complex subject. I know some but not much. I'll spare you the 25000 word Cliff Notes. Suffice it to say, RNA cells (viruses) have rapid gene replication processes compared to DNA cells. RNA viruses are prone to more replication errors because of that. This is thought to be a survival technique in that as the immune system learns to combat the virus, the virus mutates to survive. It appears that in the process of doing that, anecdotally at least, COIVD-19 sx are becoming less severe. IOW, the virus wants to maintain its transmissibility by becoming less lethal. That, as the article points out, is a common feature of historic virus epidemics and pandemics ..... the human immune system wins every time becasue the virus mutates itself into extinction, even though during the battle, casualties can be high.

One more thought ..... among the medical group I am involved with is the mounting evidence that SARS-CoV-2 is an inflammatory disease of the blood vessels not just a respiratory disease. Infarctions are a predominant feature of severe COVID-19. It's not pneumonia killing patients it's pulmonary emboli (PEs). Strokes, bowel infarcts, embolic heart attacks, toe and finger blisters have also become more common findings associated with severe disease/death (on autopsy). Anti-coagulation therapy is now an accepted mainstay of clinical management when it's not contraindicated. If, after the process is better understood, this turns out to be a diminishing feature of COVID-19, that would be incredibly good news.
        There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• I really didn't need the summary of the article I just read. But thanks. Heh.

Your last paragraph is interesting.

Comment

I think Joe Biden is going to get dragged, big time, into the "disband" police movement. At a minimum, he'll have to be on board with drastic defunding. Fortunately, urban areas have proven, conclusively, that they are law-abiding citizens that need no policing. In particular, I expect community gardens to spring up on every corner on the southside of Chicago. Rainbows and unicorns. What a time to be alive.

Fortunately, he's up by like 20 points everywhere, so he can pretty much just cut to the chase and support outright anarchy and still win.
            If he gets hornswoggled into taking on Stacy Abrams or Kamala Harris as his VP candidate, he'll have to go full-bore anarchy. Their supporters will accept nothing less.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

I really didn't need the summary of the article I just read. But thanks. Heh.

Your last paragraph is interesting.
              You got way more than a "summary," butt-head. Where did the article explain the how and why RNA viruses mutate themselves into extinction?

Do you think our posters here go to the links we provide and actually read them? I have proof they don't so, I appreciate summaries. Get with the flow, bro.

Comment

• I only click on Jeff's links if he tells us there's going to be a pop quiz at the end of the week.

Comment

• Where did the article explain the how and why RNA viruses mutate themselves into extinction?
                  I don't need basic science explained. Perhaps your horn book simpleton gibberish helps The Wizard and "Dr." Strangelove grasp concepts any HS biology student understands. Then again, I doubt it.

In other words, STFU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    In my first post in response to your's where you asked: "Would love to see some numbers of those who have died who previously received a flu shot. And percentage of those who didn't and recovered," I may have misunderstood your question. I assumed it was just a simple question: Does a vaccination reduce deaths and illness from Type A and B flu (predominantly H1N1)? The simple answer is yes.

I think what you were asking involved concurrent (comorbid) SARS-CoV-2 and H1N1 infection and if the flu vaccination reduced mortality and morbidity in individuals that have both illnesses. You are correct, there isn't anything out there on that specific question that I know of. There is lots of studies that demonstrate patients with COVID-19 accompanied by a broad range of additional diseases fare much worse than those that are otherwise comorbid disease free. I think it would be safe to conclude that a person that tested positive for both SARs-CoV-2 and Type A or B influenza predicts a worse outcome than having any one of those diseases separately.

I also believe it is safe to conclude that since there is a vaccine for influenza, if one were inoculated and had some protection from typical respiratory symptoms associated with H1N1 and also developed COVID-19, that person's outcome would be better. Because that's pretty obvious, it would seem that's why there aren't any studies. I don't see any cover-ups or conspiracies preventing such studies.

One other point: the pathogenesis of the two diseases are different, cause a different array of symptoms and are managed differently. The immune system responds differently to both with the body's ability to fend off the development of severe influenza symptoms, inoculated or not, far greater than that of the novel SARS-CoV-2 for which there is no vaccine and no innate immunity like there is for H1N1 that's been around for decades. Because of those facts, I don't think the scientific or medical community would be much interested in studying the question you pose.

I question everything. That does not imply a lack of trust. I trust my sources until it is demonstrated that they are untrustworthy. I was trained as a scientist; I believe in the scientific method. I'm not anywhere close to abandoning that method or conclusions derived from it because it's "bullshit."
                    Thank you for taking the time to answer, JB. Without making me feel like an idiot for asking it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

If he gets hornswoggled into taking on Stacy Abrams or Kamala Harris as his VP candidate, he'll have to go full-bore anarchy. Their supporters will accept nothing less.
                      In other words, a full-out Second Civil war. If they resort to that, then they will lose and badly.. It's one thing to loot and riot in Democratic controlled cities, and brownshirt corporations into broadcasting your message, but that's not going to go so well when they try that stuff in suburbs, small towns and rural areas.

The Left has become such a delusional cult that they believe everything that they write and think that everyone likes what they post on social media. They probably still think think that they can repeal the 2nd Amendment In other words, everyone else is an idiot.

Comment

• It's one thing to loot and riot in Democratic controlled cities, and brownshirt corporations into broadcasting your message, but that's not going to go so well when they try that stuff in suburbs, small towns and rural areas.

You got that right. Here in our rural community, the local internet boards stated that people around here have no problem with peaceful demonstrations, but potential looters and rioters were reminded that the community was 'locked and loaded'. They're 100% deadly serious too. They had a peaceful protest here, and afterward they all went home or left town. I'd say the message was received.

I don't see how defunding police departments is going to make things better. Here in Michigan, Coleman Young spent decades nickel and diming things away from police and fire funding to pay for his special projects, which meant lining his pal's pockets with taxpayer money. Flint has been so decimated by the loss of population due to GM closures, that they barely have a police department anymore. Is anyone volunteering to move to Flint?

I read in the Detroit News last week that there was some activist in the Detroit area that said "The first place that needs to burn is Howell". I cringed when I read that. They have no idea what awaits them if anyone foolishly tries that. If you want to know where all the confederate flag waving, assault rifle owning folks live, .. just try something foolish like that. And I'm not exaggerating.

Comment

• Its idiots grandstanding. Minneapolis will probably defund the PD and simultaneously fund a Dept of Public Safety. The only thing that will change will be the patches on the officers' shoulders. And probably some operating parameters. The end result will be some politicians running for re-election pounding their chest in front of a camera.

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• It's idiotic and not worth worrying about unless you live in those handful of cities actually considering this. Biden and Trump are BOTH not on board.
                            There are obviously changes that need to be made, but going as far as to dismantle it? LOL ok.
                            But go ahead. Sure that criminals are licking their chops with #DefundThePolice ... Move to my hometown Flint (technically, Grand Blanc, MI) while you are at it.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Whether "symbolic" or "grandstanding" or not -- and I very much believe it's NOT, the Woke Left has taken over the D party. Biden is a figurehead at this point. They'll tolerate him to beat PDJT and to get POWER, but make no mistake -- the Woke Left is running shit. Indoctrinate them in college. Get them into newsrooms. And before you know it, the American Revolution was fought to preserve slavery and we should should abolish police.

You can pretend it's not happening or try to convince yourself that Biden really is in charge. But he's a placeholder.

Comment

• Maybe I'm overestimating, but I don't think that the American public, as a whole, is ready to cash in their chips for the Left just yet. Yes, they control the mainstream press and they've brainwashed the millennials, but they really aren't calling a good game here. They've had almost 4 years to sink Trump and the best that they can come up with is Biden? If you think Trump was a clown, then wait until this guy rolls out on stage. He'll be like the 8th Plan from Outer Space. The 9th Plan, though, is the one might be scary.

Comment

Working...
                                X