Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL,

WILL YOU JOIN ME IN SUPPORT OF REMOVING THE STATUES AND ANY HONORS BESTOWED UPON SLAVE-OWNING US PRESIDENTS???

PLEASE READ THE OPINIONS OF CORPORAL WILLY MOORE: https://youtu.be/ub82Xb1C8os
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I am in favor of removing all confederate statues on public property, AA, except for the statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest in Nashville. I believe it captures all too well the dignity and glory of the Confederacy and southern "heritage". It should remain standing forevermore as a reminder of what the South once stood for

195786298_f213e06da0_o.jpg

Comment

• If a city’s citizens want them removed, have at it. It’s a slippery slope, but whatev.

Activists are tearing down statues of Churchill, we hate Columbus now because he did some things that were oh so 1490’s. And removing the images of slave-owning US Presidents is not something I invented.

But whatever. Remove them all. Start with the Confederates and start removing things until everyone is happy.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Just for the record, Columbus was kind of a shitbird even by 1490's standards, but that's beside the point. We're gonna be Flavor Town from now on and I'm fine with that.

Comment

• I don’t know about for 1490’s standards. None of the explorers/conquerers had a great record. Columbus is def worse than some, equal with others. None had a real problem with killing natives (or even their own people).

Just read a SJW on Twitter shoot down WT Sherman for a base name because he killed Native Americans out west.

Along with killing Native Americans, she was adamant that people who have owned people are to be shunned (the 12 Presidents and any other historical figures). She suggested Sitting Bull and Nat Turner as base names. Oh, and the great general, Harriet Tubman.

Comment

• Jeff-- Didn't see it in your article yesterday, but I heard this morning that Arizona's positive test rate is at 13% and still going up

Comment

• Market got the cold water it's been needing yesterday. Powell said they probably won't raise rates until near the end of 2022 at the earliest in their current view

Comment

• The discourse between you two gave me a good laugh this morning. What's going on - all this virtue signaling and corporate boot-licking - is perhaps the worst I've seen in my adult life.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I struggle to wrap my brain around short-selling and puts and all that kind of stuff but I did hear a new explanation for the rapid rise and fall of Chesapeake and other bankruptcy stocks: Basically they think there was a tug-of-war between day traders and hedge funds that had longterm shorts on certain doomed stocks.

Comment

• Just kicking myself because I shorted Royal Caribbean, Delta, JPM stock LAST WEEK. Short term Buy Puts (betting that the stock price will go down) and lost out some $$$.
                      Then of course, people react to all of the obvious bad news THIS WEEK. Off by one week....

Oh well. My lesson learned is to avoid options and hold stocks long term. Perhaps a Buy Put contract that expires next month would have been the better bet.
                      Last edited by Cody_Russell; June 11, 2020, 07:54 AM.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Barr, Pompeo, Esper, and National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien are holding a joint news conference around 10:15. Don't know why or what they'll discuss but having 3 of the 4 most powerful Cabinet members together plus the NS Advisor seems unusual...and a bit ominous
                        Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; June 11, 2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• And I couldn’t care less if you rename Fort Bragg or the city of Columbus, or the state of Washington or changed Hawaii’s flag (etc, etc) as long as it’s organic and not some ridiculous appeasement to SJWs.
                          Yeah, that's the thing, it's preposterous virtue signaling. I understand getting rid of something is truly symbolic of a bad past or whatever. The Confederate Flag. Shit, even Robert E. Lee. The point about Bragg is that almost no one knows who the fuck he is. There is no symbolic value to his name. Fort Bragg is a place, not a symbol. That's also true of, say, Fort Worth (I assume it's name after some dude named Worth but haven't the foggiest fucking clue who it is).

It truly is Maoist. Or perhaps Stalin. This is a definite purge. Dr. Strangelove has no real interest in drawing any lines because, as we all know, the Maoists and Stalinists aren't operating on principle. The lines will move. So, there's no way for him to risk fall out of favor with his Woke Party Overlords. So he doesn't address anything AA says or otherwise. But, make no mistake, they ain't stopping at confederate folks. LOL.

As was pointed out, the Global Wokes are after, e.g., CHURCHILL. They've canceled Gone with the Wind -- a movie I always thought egregiously long, but it's a piece of cinematic history. Authors are going to be next if they haven't already got it. THIS IS WHAT'S HAPPENING.

DSL, who may not be a full-on member of Cultural Revolution, can whistle past the graveyard all he wants. But it's here.

As Buchanan correctly notes:

What's going on - all this virtue signaling and corporate boot-licking - is perhaps the worst I've seen in my adult life.
                          ...and he's like 95 and not prone to exaggeration in the least.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Fingers crossed for a huge market collapse!
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• On markets, we're going to see some profit taking the rest of this week that's going to be gut wrenching. I'm kind-of getting used to the huge swings - we'll see the DJIA dip to the low 25s, upper 24s and then go back up next week. It's a thing...... and, yeah, the cold water in the face from Powell yesterday about the lingering effects on growth through 2021 and into 2022 had the appropriate impact.

On Arizona and COVID, journalists reporting the data within the last week have gotten a bit more savvy. There's plenty of rate data along with other metrics that are counter-balancing the CASES SURGE trope. There's no escaping the facts in Arizona though. That state is seeing a meaningful increase in new cases and GR that is most likely caused by the folks there not taking the continuing transmissability of the virus seriously.

About two weeks ago, I stopped looking at the NYT COVID graphs as there were better places to gauge the course of the pandemic and they had a negative narrative. They've reorganized their reporting on it and added more data - it's pretty good. At the top of the web page called "The Corona Virus Outbreak," and just above that title is a bar that allows you to select categories of interest to you. https://www.nytimes.com/news-event/c...torylines_menu

On FL: not as bad as AZ, among other states with rising case #s and rate data to support that those numbers are meaningful. I went through it all fo FL yesterday afternoon and opined there is a meaningful increase state wide that has been recognized by Desantis and is most likely associated with protesting and the attendant large crowds primarily in S. FL. However and beyond that, with re-opening, observationally in FTL at least, I see a lot of young people flocking to bars in the Los Olas district and that line AIA that parallels FTL's beaches (now open) ignoring distancing and masking measures. It's so crowded that I suspect proprietors can't keep up with head counts to keep their places at 50% capacity and, when it gets later in the evening, they give up on reminding patrons about masking. We've been stepping out but go to eat either for lunch or around 5-5:30p for dinner and are out-a-there by 8. Our favorite places to go have lighter and older crowds that are attentive to distancing and masking and proprietors that are playing it by the rules. No way are we going to hang at crowded bars, even though they all are open to the outside, with the 30s set. You can go out and remain safe but that requires one to be choosy and decide not to patronize some places that are overly crowded regardless of whether they are outside or inside.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• The NYT started publishing a vaccine tracker. There's a ton of information in it and some of the terminology for classifying vaccines (e.g., mRNA, attenuated, DNA protein) can be confusing although the descriptions of each of the classifications they use are good. It is also nicely organized so you can see exactly which vaccines are where in the development process and which ones are getting the benefit of the US's Warp Speed program.

There is unprecedented cooperation among researchers and scientists world-wide but I seriously wonder at what point profits, not process and safety, will be the driving force behind vaccine development, approval and manufacturing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...b2da6e075b25bf

Comment

Working...
                                X