No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community spread is a combination of things. The data is probably there on a state by state basis to make a stab on where the hot spots are. But it's not likely detailed enough to be dispositive one way or the other. But, yeah, parades, protests, bars, social gatherings of more than 10 people on the beach in the park, you name it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to argue about whether its one or the other ..... it's all of them in a proportion that we cannot know.

On a positive note, Norway did a study with a control arm that concluded gyms are not likely to be a place where SARS-CoV-2 is any more transmissible than a grocery story. The qualifier was it depends are prevalence of the virus, e.g., a gym in one county with a high prevalence rate is more at risk than one with a low one. I can't find the study on a cursory look but here's a couple of links. Not sure the NYT is not pay walled. The Baltimore Sun one is good to go.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronav...aam-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/h...s-fitness.html

Officials are, I believe, reacting appropriately by pulling back. Places where the GR is highest, e.g., FL, TX, AZ, CA, etc., are seeing Governors and local officials doing what they need to do. I'm not in the crowd that is saying it is't enough, we need X, Y or Z all of these things suggesting closing business and staying at home. The US is pretty much a larger than Sweden, Sweden experiment going forward. Shuttering the economy and sending everyone home to shelter in place is not a realistic option at this point. Working to manage the spread and decrease it is.

Its simple to close or keep bars closed and if a restaurant is open and serving alcohol, patrons are masked when they arrive, move around and leave - no mask no service. Why has this been so fucking hard for people to understand? Unfortunately, proprietors and staff have to be the bad guys in the absence of PH authorities and walking patrols - they can't be everywhere.Too bad. Do it and if patrons get shitty, call the police - word that your getting a citation that's going to cost you a couple hundred bucks spreads fast and has a good chance of working.

There are hot lines in S. FL to report non-compliance with masking requirements, places too crowded and bars serving liquor and stupidly winking about it. Id say most states or municipalities having evidence of community spread where mandating masks has become de-rigeur, have hot lines to rat on the guilty. Use them. This isn't about snitching is a bad thing, it's about keeping people employed, earning money and spending it. That ends, big time, if people keep being stupid and complaining about their rights and personal freedom.

It's harder to do this but in the new Phase II of reopening reality that is seeing increasing numbers of people who are experiencing varying degrees of C-19 symptoms and seeking care, we're going to have to figure out how to triage in the ED and manage care while keeping people out of hospitals. For those that need admission and/or intensive care, keep them alive and get them well and discharged so the next patient that needs a bed can have a bed. I have a feeling that the you will die if you get COVID alarmists are making a lot of people who don't need care go to the ED thinking they want to make sure they are not going to die. At the same time, ED Docs, a litigiousness avoiding group of MDs if there ever was one, are admitting folks who don't need admission .... out of my hands and into the hospitalists hands. Not my problem anymore. I've seen it, a lot, and that was before C-19.

I still think this is manageable and the messaging at the federal (excluding PDJT), state and local level is about right, IMO. I prefer an emphasis on education as opposed to increasing the fear factor and the press is doing that as a huge disfavor to the American public. There's a way to report health facts rationally, i.e., this is the problem, this is how you as an individual can mitigate the impact and this is how your local PH officials and hospitals are working on it. Back that messaging up with community based enforcement and we have a winner ..... ding, ding.

I'm sick of the alarmists. The house is on fire so we better all run for it instead of trying to put it out.
    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• A message from under the bed, in the bunker:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN23X2BW

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
        A message from under the bed, in the bunker:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN23X2BW
        He's staying because even New Fucking Jersey didn't want anything that toxic inside the state.
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• "They told me they needed me here. The secret service. This big guy, big like you wouldn't believe, he says to me: SIR. Please don't go, sir. The insurrectionists, sir. They don't dare act with you here. Think of that big, beautiful monument out there. The battle Andrew Jackson, our great Andrew Jackson, won at Valley Forge. We can't forget our history. Please, sir.

So I said, okay, I'll stay. I was totally going to have very impressive meetings with world leaders at Bedminster but my country needs me here"

Comment

• Where were you when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!
            “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• The most damning, but unsurprising, line of the entire article is:

...but the White House has not approved of any action against Russia or President Vladimir Putin....

https://nypost.com/2020/06/26/russia...n-report-says/

Comment

• Agent Orange retreats into the comforting LalaLand of tv ratings...the real polls!!

Comment

• Chuck Grassley, wow

One, he's acknowledging that Trump's answer to this question was terrible. Two, do Republican politicians all consider FoxNews a branch of the Republican Party at this point? There was a time when they would have hidden or denied that but it seems there's no longer any point denying an obvious truth. Three, he reacts to Trump's terrible answer by blaming Sean Hannity, as if it's HIS responsibility to keep the President on track. They treat him like a toddler, with zero responsibility for his own behavior or actions. It's always, always the fault of those around him. Four, Grassley probably knows Joni Ernst is in trouble and is trying to swim while having a bowling ball like Trump shackled to her ankle.

Comment

• Just saw a thing on CNN blaming beaches for the spike.
                    Attached Files
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Should Hamilton be cancelled? After all, it does portray our founding fathers in a positive light instead of making them all out to be Satan. To make matters worse, it portrays black men as these slave owning filth.

Comment

• AA- Yeah, the photo editors of these various newspapers and websites need to stop running pictures of beaches with every covid story

Comment

• DSL,

The guest CNN had specifically said that beaches should be closed. They were talking about Miami announcing that they were closing their beaches for the 4th of July weekend and how other municipalities should follow suit.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• “Science is real“ — people who think that men can have periods and that social distancing is critical to saving lives unless you are talking about a BLM rio— er, um — protest.

Comment

• I don’t know if Trump cares if he gets reelected.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X