No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who repeatedly gets within 10 feet of a bison at Yellowstone?

A 72-year-old California woman was gored by a bison in Yellowstone National Park, a news release from the park said.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Parler and Gab are just as much a part of the 'public square' as Facebook and Twitter are. Again, you have plenty of options. The problem is you very much want an audience. I'm sorry if Gab is the equivalent of public access tv.

Comment

• I don't know, look. All these companies are probably transitioning to being considered "publishers" and having more liability for posted content. Possibly. The days of the Wild Wild West are probably over. Does everyone agree that any of these platforms have a right to enforce some standards, rules, etc. for posting? I personally am not interested in participating on a platform that has zero standards and anything is allowed. But then everything starts to be a judgment call. Do you let literal Nazis post overtly anti-Semitic cartoons? What if someone more subtly posts 'scientific studies' proving the genetic superiority of the Nordic race?

I mean if you want this forum to be an 'everything goes' kinda place and invite in a guy like little red devil who long, long ago at CNN and worldcrossing used to post scat pics, then you either ban that shit (literally) or I'm out. I'll go somewhere else. What's the difference between that and thousands threatening Twitter that if you let the anti-Semitic cartoons stand, then I'm done using your platform?

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
          []
          FWIW, Trump is vowing to send the vandals of that statue to prison for 10 years. Regardless of what you think either about George Washington or what they did, does that seem proportionate to the crime?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

FWIW, Trump is vowing to send the vandals of that statue to prison for 10 years. Regardless of what you think either about George Washington or what they did, does that seem proportionate to the crime?
            Whatever the punishment for felony vandalism is in that jurisdiction is what they should get.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• 1. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of the sentence. Trump is the modern day equivalent of a delusional Hitler in the bunker in the last 10 days, ordering attacks from phantom divisions that were destroyed weeks ago. He won't do anything. Nobody will get any punishment. Everyone knows this so there's no point in debating whether his threats are fair.

2. One harsh prison sentence would be a nice start, but only that. The paddy wagons should be rolling day and night to collect every brick-throwing, Molotov-throwing, statue vandalizing, Leftist Social Justice Warrior and hauling them all off to prison for maximum sentences. But we all know that will never happen.

I'm with Talent at this point -- hoping desperately that I can retire before the inevitable collapse destroys my job and my 401k. My current home town as of yet has not had a BLM-sponsored Wendy's bonfire, but all it would take is one spark for that to happen and it's only a matter of time no matter where you live.

I've also started to look into safe countries to emigrate to once I'm retired. We're it not for the fact that I don't want to live in the potential path of Russian tanks, I would be making my plans to move to someplace like the Czech Republic or Poland.
              Last edited by Hannibal; June 30, 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post

Whatever the punishment for felony vandalism is in that jurisdiction is what they should get.
                Could very well be the law. I find it absurd and excessive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                  .... We're it not for the fact that I don't want to live in the potential path of Russian tanks, I would be making my plans to move to someplace like the Czech Republic or Poland.....

I've been to Wroclaw. Decent town, lots of young people, some cool architecture that survived the wars. I think Hanni is attracted to the cost of living - hookers and quarts of vodka are three bucks.
                  “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Well it’s not the great military history that I’m attracted to, I can tell you that much.

Comment

• Among the Bountygate evidence: records of money transfers from Russian military intelligence to an account known to be Taliban-linked. Middlemen were arrested in recent raids.

Analysts have used other evidence to conclude that the transfers were most likely part of an effort to offer payments to Taliban-linked militants to kill American and coalition troops in Afghanistan.

Comment

• I think Hanni is attracted to the cost of living - hookers and quarts of vodka are three bucks.
                        If by Hanni you mean everyone then I concur.

Anyway, we're on this ride now and there's really no getting off. I'll still harbor wild pipe dreams that maybe 2022 and/or 2024 will put the brakes on this thing, but I doubt it.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• What's the difference between that and thousands threatening Twitter that if you let the anti-Semitic cartoons stand, then I'm done using your platform?
                          The threat to leave Twitter is empty. There is only one Twitter. Your threat to leave this forum or WC or TGP is not empty. You have lots of different shitball CFB-related forums you could post at.

The difference is in the platforms themselves. It's like asking what's the difference if Amazon doesn't want to carry your book vs. Joe's Pataskala Book Emporium and Adult Gift Store.

Comment

• STFU
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

The threat to leave Twitter is empty. There is only one Twitter. Your threat to leave this forum or WC or TGP is not empty. You have lots of different shitball CFB-related forums you could post at.

The difference is in the platforms themselves. It's like asking what's the difference if Amazon doesn't want to carry your book vs. Joe's Pataskala Book Emporium and Adult Gift Store.
                              Yeah I mean, I just don't know. If Amazon has a policy of "we don't sell sex toys", does THE_WIZARD's House of Dildos have a case against them? Claiming irreparable harm because as the world's biggest e-commerce site they can destroy any small business by denying them a platform to hawk their wares? I can see it more if every domain server in America got pressured into refusing to host Wiz's sex toys site and consequently, it was impossible for him to do any online business at all.

Comment

• I'd go back to how the NJ Supreme Court approached privately owned Shopping Malls (back when those were a thing):

You have to look at (1) the nature, purpose and primary use of such private property; (2) the extent and nature of the public’s invitation to use that property; and (3) the purpose of the expressive activity undertaken on such property in relation to both the private and public use of the property. NJ applies this test to shopping malls have concluded that because shopping mall owners “have intentionally transformed their property into a public square or market, a public gathering place, a downtown business district, a community,” they cannot later deny their own implied invitation to use the space as it was clearly intended.
                                I'm not the one advocating a "bright line" rule. I'm not saying TGP has to be treated the same as Twitter. I'm not saying it's all or nothing. I'm saying you look at the nature of the platform and try to figure out if it's pervasive enough and of such a nature to be, essentially, a public forum.

I see a lot of merit in the certainty provided by bright line tests (private/public in this case). Predictability should always be the goal of the law. And the above test is dependent on the circumstances and how a court views those circumstances. That's less than desirable, but in this particular situation I think I'm convinced it's probably best to figure out the true nature of the platform.

Comment

Working...
                                X