Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Again, there was a brief moment when the Left stood for freedom. Academic freedom.
    The Left has absolutely never stood for academic freedom and truth has never been in their vocabulary except for in an ironic sense.

Comment

• There was a time when insitutions not on the left were curbing freedoms and the left stood against them. How about that. That's the more accurate version.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Why not post the counter-petition? Goes contra to want you want, I know.

You're really a pig in slop these days, man.
        I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about Hsu's research. And I'm also 100% confident you haven't read the research paper, haven't studied his methodology, haven't done any actual work to see if it's scientifically sound or not. You just know you like the conclusions. because it supports your already predetermined narrative. You don't know the first thing about any of those Professors. Not a thing. If another 10,000 came forward and said Hsu's work was faulty you'd declare them all frauds. Because anyone who challenges what you want to hear will get treated the same way by you.

So spare us all the usual self-righteous lectures about how you're so much more open-minded and objective and strictly scientific than the liberals. When's the last time you shared an article or paper that challenged one of your preconceptions? Damned if I can remember you ever doing it. You don't want to be challenged any more than anyone else. You want confirmation of biases.

Comment

• The CHAZ (aka The Soyviet Union) has been overrun by the Seattle PD. Seattle's mayor was OK with the killings and extortion going on there, but when the occupiers threatened to raid the mayor's home, that was a bridge too far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post

The Left has absolutely never stood for academic freedom and truth has never been in their vocabulary except for in an ironic sense.
            I disagree with never if you assume that the Left was running our colleges. It certainly was okay when I started. You could argue whatever you wanted as long as you didn’t personally attack who you were arguing with.

That may be anecdotal; it is certainly just my experience.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You don't need an academic paper to to expose the BLM narrative as a load of horseshit. A very brief glance at FBI crime statistics, cop shooting victims by face, and the races of the shooters demonstrates that, if anything, police brutality is disproportionately directed at whites (not the other way around).

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about Hsu's research. And I'm also 100% confident you haven't read the research paper, haven't studied his methodology, haven't done any actual work to see if it's scientifically sound or not. You just know you like the conclusions. because it supports your already predetermined narrative. You don't know the first thing about any of those Professors. Not a thing. If another 10,000 came forward and said Hsu's work was faulty you'd declare them all frauds. Because anyone who challenges what you want to hear will get treated the same way by you.

So spare us all the usual self-righteous lectures about how you're so much more open-minded and objective and strictly scientific than the liberals. When's the last time you shared an article or paper that challenged one of your preconceptions? Damned if I can remember you ever doing it. You don't want to be challenged any more than anyone else. You want confirmation of biases.
                The thing is, academia has always been attack the research and/or paper, not the person. An academic is not generally in danger of losing a position for publishing something unless the data is made up.
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  Just to sink AA and Talent further into the depths of despair, here's the letter signed by over 500 Michigan State faculty calling for Hsu's removal. Yes, there's lots of people from the Departments you'd expect: Music, Religious Studies, Romance Studies, Community Sustainability (huh?), but there's also a lot of Biologists, Chemists, Physicists, etc. etc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...-rI9M2TAE/edit
                  I heard there was a counter petition with more than 1,000 supporting Hsu.

Comment

There was a time when insitutions not on the left were curbing freedoms and the left stood against them. How about that. That's the more accurate version.
                    The Left has never been and will never be intellectually honest about their intentions.

Yeah sure, they bravely fought for the freedom to push transgenderism onto children via junk science, but not out of some sort of principled devotion to the eternal search for truth.

Comment

• In news that actually matters job gains were very impressive last month. Unemployment falls to a little over 11%. The one caveat is new unemployment claims the final week of June were slightly worse than expected. And continuing claims went slightly up.

Comment

• It's only notional and shorter than most Buchanan posts. But, Buchanan will enjoy pondering on it and writing a 10,000 word rebuttal and DSL can call for Geraghty's execution.
                        In one of my shortest posts ever, the Hsu firing, no matter the off-setting arguments to defend it from DSL, is both an indication of the dangers of the culture canceling activities of the left and a harbinger of more of that sort of thing to come. TBC, I'm not in the Hanni/talent doomsday camp.

The NRO Geragthy article reports on nothing particularly new except a review of existing literature on this subject. Spoiler: Genetics plays a role in COVID-19 symptomatically and will play a ore specific role in vaccine effectivness - some of it good news some of it bad.

Also, I have nothing to add today to the shit storm that is C-19 resurgence in the US that I haven't already said. Better things to do today.

Finally, CHOP has been dismantled reasserting my optimistic view that reasonable people will prevail in the stupidity of this sort of social experimentation.
                        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about Hsu's research. And I'm also 100% confident you haven't read the research paper, haven't studied his methodology, haven't done any actual work to see if it's scientifically sound or not. You just know you like the conclusions. because it supports your already predetermined narrative. You don't know the first thing about any of those Professors. Not a thing. If another 10,000 came forward and said Hsu's work was faulty you'd declare them all frauds. Because anyone who challenges what you want to hear will get treated the same way by you.

Pig in slop.

I've read the publication in question. Why don't you give it a fucking try -- https://www.pnas.org/content/116/32/15877

It's non-controversial, IMO. It adds data to the discussion. I'd be happy to read studies that suggest the contrary (and have). I've read papers on use of deadly force and bias and police use of "normal" force and bias. I'd like to know what is really going, so I'm quite open to reading as much as I can, and have. I'd rather not swallow whatever BLM tells me.

That you have no interest in facts on this issue is your own problem. I guess the reason I call you out is that my sliver of hope in this regard is that reasonable folks on the Left will eventually stand up and I consider you reasonable. I won't be calling you out any more. No worries.

In case anyone is wondering:

A June 3 op-ed in the WSJ cited Mr. Cesario’s work [The linked publication at issue], and the MSU communications team highlighted the mention in the June 9 edition of their email newsletter, InsideMSU. The next day, the Graduate Employees Union denounced Mr. Hsu. By June 11, editors of the newsletter had apologized “for including the item and for the harm it caused.” Hundreds of MSU students and employees signed petitions calling for Mr. Hsu to be fired from the administration.
                          So, quite obviously he was removed because of research that runs contra to The Narrative. You can do your Orwellian doublespeak post hoc justiification lies all you want.
                          Last edited by iam416; July 2, 2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• The thing is, academia has always been attack the research and/or paper, not the person. An academic is not generally in danger of losing a position for publishing something unless the data is made up.
                            Yeah, that's the thing. But now we're dealing with "scientific racism" and "STEM IS RACIST!"

I personally think gutting the United States STEM programs in the name of the Narrative will serve us well in the long-term.

Comment

• I do love that in the attempt to discuss the SJW issues, DSL now wants to stop talking about academic strong-arming and talk about the economy. Because that “really matters”.

lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

Finally, CHOP has been dismantled reasserting my optimistic view that reasonable people will prevail in the stupidity of this sort of social experimentation.
                                Soymalia was only dismantled because the occupiers went overboard and threatened to storm the mayor's house. Were it not for that, the Democrat mayor would have been perfectly fine with the killings and choas going on there. Being happy about that is like celebrating kicking a 4th quarter field goal to prevent a 42-0 shutout.

Comment

Working...
                                X