No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In other medical news, the WSJ ran a piece today about mABs - monoclonal antibodies. These aren't new and I've seen articles about these that go way back to April. I guess what is news is that various drug companies are closer to having product than they were in April. The article is actually an opinion piece that urges the government to fast track approval for these drugs like the NIH Warp Speed program for for vaccines ..... I agree. These things could be deal makers.

Here's how they work: The drug is designed to latch on to proteins on the bad guy's surface and act as agent that prompts a faster and greater immune response. Natural ABs from the adaptive immune system and other virus fighters from the innate immune system are the goal. mABs are used a lot as adjustment treatment with Chemo to attack specific cancer cells. Some impressive results have occurred.

There's been plenty of research in the past for the use of mABs v. virus'. HIV, Ebola, SARS, MERS, H1N1 are examples with varying degrees of success - they have been successful in containing Swine flu (H1N1), SARS, MERS and Ebola. Not so much with HIV. They should work with SARS-CoV-2 and the author argues there's an over-focus in funding on vaccines at the expense of these promising drugs. He also argues that they are a back stop to a vaccine if it doesn't produce sufficient AB response in trials or as use becomes more wide spread. mABs have been demonstrated to produce lasting protection often better than vaccines and when a vaccine is hard to develop in both time and effectiveness. Vaccines and mABs should be on parallel development tracks with equal funding and fast tracking for both.
    There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• Finally for this evening ....... watch this Youtube video then send it to any dumb ass friends you have who are anti maskers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tp0...c#action=share
      There is such a thing as redemption. Jim Harbaugh is redeemed at the expense of a fading Ryan Day and OSU. M wins back to back games v. OSU first time since 1999-2000​ - John Cooper was fired in 2000!!!

Comment

• America’s Shitstain© has proclaimed that 99% of the covid virus cases have been "totally harmless". The Food and Drug Commish refused to correct, refused to even comment on, that disinformation. When asymptomatic people don't wear masks or distance because "muh presdent says its harmless", they will literally kill innocent people. Dr Stephen Hahn, the head of the FDA, refuses to contradict the president. Isn't Hahn's willingness to allow people to be needlessly endangered a violation of the Hippocratic Oath? With a simple statement he refuses to make, in fear of angering trump, isn't that an ethical violation, an absconding of the medical profession, an intentional endangering of the citizenry?

This is how far America’s Shitstain© has pulled this nation down. We now have doctors in charge of federal agencies so terrified of the prez that they are willing to let people die than face his tweets. It now appears to be mandatory that in order to get a position in this administration you need to have either your spine or your brain removed.
        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Sorry for some good news, but don't worry it will be short lived (or its BS cause its a Sunday report)

Not one death reported for the first time in Michigan from Covid- 19 (since March)

Carry on

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            Sorry for some good news, but don't worry it will be short lived (or its BS cause its a Sunday report)

Not one death reported for the first time in Michigan from Covid- 19 (since March)

Carry on
            Good. I hope it stays that way.

I think Michigan folks have done a good job with this. Keep up the good work.
            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Spaghetti Western movie composer Ennio Morricone has passed away at 91. Having won a Lifetime Achievement Oscar in 2006, his music was also nominated for several movies individually including “Days Of Heaven,” (1978), “The Hateful Eight,”(2015), “The Mission” (1986), “The Untouchables” (1987), “Bugsy” (1991) and “Malena” (2000). He wrote the music for over 400 films during his life time.

Here's the the Danish National Symphony Orchestra and the Danish National Choir performing the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

#TuvaSemmingsen #DNSO #FilmmusicLIVEThe Good, the Bad and the Ugly Composed by Ennio MorriconeVarious flutes: Hans Ulrik, Russell ItaniVocals: Tuva Semmingse...

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post

Good. I hope it stays that way.

I think Michigan folks have done a good job with this. Keep up the good work.
                Looks as if "That Woman from Michigan" handled it well...

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                  Spaghetti Western movie composer Ennio Morricone has passed away at 91. Having won a Lifetime Achievement Oscar in 2006, his music was also nominated for several movies individually including “Days Of Heaven,” (1978), “The Hateful Eight,”(2015), “The Mission” (1986), “The Untouchables” (1987), “Bugsy” (1991) and “Malena” (2000). He wrote the music for over 400 films during his life time.

Here's the the Danish National Symphony Orchestra and the Danish National Choir performing the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

#TuvaSemmingsen #DNSO #FilmmusicLIVEThe Good, the Bad and the Ugly Composed by Ennio MorriconeVarious flutes: Hans Ulrik, Russell ItaniVocals: Tuva Semmingse...
                  Heard about this driving into work today. One of the greats.

Comment

• With covid cases rapidly climbing and an economy to worry about, Trump is attempting to breathe new life into the Bubba Wallace controversy by 1) Saying Bubba Wallace needs to apologize for the "hoax" and 2) Says NASCAR made a big mistake banning the Confederate flag.

Is he THAT worried about support from his base draining away? He can't possibly think wrapping himself in the Confederate flag will be a big hit among southern suburban voters and elderly folks in Florida.

Comment

• Looks as if "That Woman from Michigan" handled it well...
                      Alabama had no deaths yesterday as well. Good news abounds.
                      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post

Alabama had no deaths yesterday as well. Good news abounds.
                        I think that the Governor of Alabama, Kay Ivey did a good job with it overall as well. Less heavy handed than some other states, but she seemed to have a pretty balanced approach. If people had taken her recommendations more to heart, I think we probably would not have seen the surge that we have seen here. But in Trumpland wearing a mask is a sign of weakness and bowing to tyranny. So there's that.

I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• So do you agree with the 1,200 health professionals on your side who said that White Supremacy is a bigger public health issue than Covid-19?

Maybe one of the reasons that people aren't taking it seriously anymore is because we were told a month ago that we didn't have to worry about it anymore?

Comment

• Having actively encouraged to mob with the show charges, Mayor Bottoms finally says "enough is enough" after an 8-year old is shot in Atlanta -- for nothing. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/at...oks/index.html

I dunno, let's buy the gasoline and tinder, set up inside the house, start the fire and then, when it reaches the 2nd floor, scream "enough is enough!"

Geraghty, as per usual, is spot on: https://www.nationalreview.com/the-m...ation-is-hard/ In part:

At the roulette wheel of governance, many of America’s mayors and city councils took all of their remaining chips and bet it all on green. They’re hoping their dicey response to ongoing crises hits the jackpot. We will see in the coming year whether people flock into American cities, excited and inspired and thrilled at the sight of the abdication of the streets to the protesters and statue-topplers or whether the existing residents of the city look at this chaos and say, “To hell with this, I’m moving out,” and whether cities’ employers go with them.

Conservatives have little or no ability to influence what is happening on the streets of America’s biggest cities right now. We are almost entirely outside the existing power structure of these places. Many urban Democrats will attempt to blame Republicans for their problems and insist that suburban commuters are the root cause of their troubles, or federal policies set in Washington, or any other scapegoat that comes to mind.

But the policies of Minneapolis and Los Angeles and San Francisco and Washington and New York City cannot be changed from Tarrant County in Texas or Sioux County, Iowa, or the Jacksonville suburbs. So many Democrats will desperately want to avoid confronting the hard truth that deep blue city policies have failed to satisfy blue-city constituencies.

Thus we have angry young urbanites tear down statues because that action is simple and easy compared actually changing life on the ground for the average citizen of one of America’s big cities. Baltimore’s homicide rate for 2020 is on pace to surpass last year’s record-breaking total, but those protesters sure showed that statue of Christopher Columbus who’s boss. Impassioned actions against pretend problems will be used in an attempt to distract from absolute haplessness in the face of real problems.

America’s wealthiest and most powerful corporate leaders are eager to embrace the “all of us are responsible” narrative — therefore no one is particularly responsible, certainly not the almost entirely all-white, exceptionally wealthy people on those corporate boards. America’s urban elected leaders are eager to embrace an explanation of systemic national and societal failure — because that ensure no serious focus upon the failure of particular leaders and particular policies.

Nothing significant will change until residents of America’s big cities demand better from their leaders. Those of us who live outside those cities cannot demand it for them.

Comment

• So do you agree with the 1,200 health professionals on your side who said that White Supremacy is a bigger public health issue than Covid-19?

Maybe one of the reasons that people aren't taking it seriously anymore is because we were told a month ago that we didn't have to worry about it anymore?
                              He's been pretty staunchly for Covid measures and, I believe, noted the idiocy of the protestors. I could be wrong, but I think that's correct.

Or maybe I'm confusing him with my wife, for whom Covid controls all. And even she was infuriated by the protests and the hypocrisy because she knew the "the right would use it against sound policy" or something like that.

So, there are some people who aren't raging asswipes in this thing. Unlike the 1200 health care "professionals" you mention.

Comment

• I don't remember seeing a single Liberal commenting negatively on the protesters and they hypocrisy of collecting 50,000 people in the streets while telling people that they can't go to church or eat inside at Subway. Perhaps there is one outlier out of the tens of millions.

White Supremacy >> Covid-19. We should all wear coverings head to toe every time that we leave the house like the Botany Bay crew when they are marooned on that planet in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. That way, nobody can ever see your skin color at all.

Don't question doctors. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X